StatCounter User Forum  
StatCounter Free web tracker and counter

Go Back   StatCounter User Forum > Webmaster > Lounge (non-StatCounter related topics here!)

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:19 PM

Default Inserting affiliate banners don't work

I'm using Evrst First Page 2006 to make websites and there is a problem.
When trying to insert different banners from companies to which I'm affiliating I see the HTML text in the upper window BUT in the bottom one I see a rectangle with a little, tiny white square with a red cross in it and the text "Gif. banner" beside.
What am I doing wrong?
Please, help me someone.

MOD - Moving this thread to Non-Statcounter discussion

Last edited by Car Guy; 02-23-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: moved post
Old 02-23-2008, 05:34 PM

Sounds like the url to the banner is invalid. Check your code carefully.

Richard
Old 02-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Master Member

Sounds like you are creating your pages on your own computer while off line. The banners are on the affiliate network sites so you won't see them unless you are online.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie joe View Post
Sounds like you are creating your pages on your own computer while off line. The banners are on the affiliate network sites so you won't see them unless you are online.
Hi geordie joe, and thank you for your interrest in my problems.
When editing my webpage I'm off line but when cutting/copying the HTML text for the banner from the companies, I'm on line. Doing like this the HTML text results in a rectangle with a small square with a little red cross in the upper left corner.
Have I understood your advice right whenI say that the image will be seen correctly when the site is uploaded or.......? You see, I'm a newbie
Old 02-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Hi geordie joe, and thank you for your interrest in my problems.
When editing my webpage I'm off line but when cutting/copying the HTML text for the banner from the companies, I'm on line. Doing like this the HTML text results in a rectangle with a small square with a little red cross in the upper left corner.
Have I understood your advice right whenI say that the image will be seen correctly when the site is uploaded or.......? You see, I'm a newbie
Yes you are right. It may not be the answer to your particular problem, you'll just have to try it and see.

But affiliate banners are on the affiliate network's server, so you can't see them unless you are connected to the internet.

If I were you I would upload the pages then look at them in your browser.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:52 PM

If you view a web page that's on your PC with a browser, it should load the images. It always works for me, I have all kinds of affiliates I use, they all load fine on my PC. Your browser connects to the internet when it loads your page. That's why I think the URL to the image on the affiliates server is wrong.

Richard
Old 02-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
If you view a web page that's on your PC with a browser, it should load the images.
Not if you have copied the code, then logged off before you paste it into your page. You have to be connected to the internet at least once before it will show on your PC.

I used to do it all the time, still do. Log on to the affiliate network, copy several links into notepad then log off. Open Dreamweaver and paste them from notepad into the pages. They never show up until you connect to the internet again.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:11 PM

Well it doesn't work that way for me. I'm signed up with 3 affiliates, and I simply paste the code into the page and "view" in a web browser. I am on an "always on" connected internet connection.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
Well it doesn't work that way for me. I'm signed up with 3 affiliates, and I simply paste the code into the page and "view" in a web browser. I am on an "always on" connected internet connection.
Yes but try it when you are not "always on".

If you paste code into your page that shows an image that is not on your local machine, and you are not connected to the internet you will not see it.

You have to be connected to the internet at least once for the image to be downloaded to your computer.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:28 PM

I'm spoiled with my Always On internet connection I guess. I just take for granted that everyone has it

Richard
Closed Thread