StatCounter User Forum  
StatCounter Free web tracker and counter

Go Back   StatCounter User Forum > Webmaster > Lounge (non-StatCounter related topics here!)

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Walters View Post
If your website gets thousands of hits but noone buys your product then what does it matter unless your site is a forum for debate like this one?
Sort of stating the obvious. Is that saying you don't want visitors you just want to sell product? I think you have to look at visitors and your product (or content leading to product) with equal intensity.
Let's say it is a product that everyone buys (like potatoes). Then the visitors hardly have to be targetted.
Another situation is when you are not actually selling a product or maybe your source of revenue has not yet been pin-pointed. And you are primarily building a visitor base.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:00 PM

I agree with you somewhat. But of all the people who serf the web very few buy, including me. But I have also noticed that those who buy seem to buy QUICKLY. I have capitalised to emphasise it.They see and buy quick.
Not all see and buy quick but some do.
In my business a single buyer leads to a repeated buyer.
Would I be out of line with modern thinking if I said that all commercial websites are trying to sell something whether it be advvertising or an actual product? Because outside of that we only have fun projects and private stuff.
Maybe I am wrong.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Walters View Post
Would I be out of line with modern thinking if I said that all commercial websites are trying to sell something whether it be advvertising or an actual product? Because outside of that we only have fun projects and private stuff.
Maybe I am wrong.
I was thinking of when sites are building up a visitor base. When we built our Shareworld site we tried hard not to think or worry about making money, just concentrated on getting visitors. Even now we are re-investing all the income in order to improve the site and get more visitors.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:53 AM

Please, how can backlink increase traffic
Old 11-14-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yullah View Post
Please, how can backlink increase traffic
i've already answered to this question few post ago:

find the right keywork, use it as anchor_text for your backlinks.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 AM

I agree that building a customer loyalty is important. I will try to do this more from now on. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysor View Post
A day's work. Depends how fast you work!! Or perhaps you mean a day each week?

Good content is most important - and I don't mean loads of keywords, I mean ux. Write your content FOR your visitors, write something YOU would find interesting and your half way there.
Then validate your code - google w3c validator. VERY important.
Then get your description tags sorted also very important.
Then keep your page load quick - google website optimisation.
Then get on webmaster tools - submit a sitemap and check the HTML suggestions regularly - google will tell you if there's anything it doesn't like.
Do these things and I GUARANTEE you'll see an increase.
It gets harder after this. Page structure - make sure things are in the right order - title, h1, h2, paragraphs. Put your important keywords near the top.
If you've done all this, google wordtracker - find the popular terms and track your positions - if you want to move up, make sure these terms are in your title tags etc.
Even harder - build some links (genuine ones) and use the keywords in the links.
Then keep repeating all these steps whilst adding content regularly.
If it sounds like hard work il do it for you for a fee

I must confess we have never had 1000 hits in a day on our best website (Shareworld, ranked 383,976 by Alexa) but I am sure it would be a piece of cake-just post a few posts in some well visited forums in the same field including links to some of the unique content.
This is exactly how I do it. Backlinks are very important but if you're site doesn't have proper metatags google is still not convinced
Old 11-20-2010, 04:42 PM

The only metatags Google cares about are the description meta tag (not used for indexing and ranking but helps visitors understand what the page is about) and the robots metatag in case it specifies noindex or nofollow or any other negative directive.

The keywords metatag is NOT USED.

The single most important piece of real estate on a page is the title tag - which is only valuable if it is unique (to the website) and accurately describes in 70 characters or less the page content. Worthless if it's the same for all pages, and much worse if it's stuffed full of spam.

Useful Web Tutorials

Please do not PM me for support. The forum is here for that.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:09 PM

Just set a Google adwords account with Britney Naked Pics in the title
You really do need to ask why you want visitors, vanity? commerce? publicity?
It's easy to buy visitors, give me a few quid and I'll visit your site 1000 times a day, good content is king, you only need visitors that interest you.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom paine View Post
vanity? commerce? publicity?
second two!

Oh,ok, all three.
Closed Thread

Tags
instant hits, visitors, web traffic