StatCounter User Forum  
StatCounter Free web tracker and counter

Go Back   StatCounter User Forum > Webmaster > Lounge (non-StatCounter related topics here!)

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM

Default Site review

Hi Folks, a long time since I was last here (june 2009!)

Is it still OK to ask for site reviews/feedback in this forum?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:48 AM

Go ahead, if it's not the site in your profile and/or signature.
But remember, the statcounter code must be on the site!

The link may be edited anyway after a while, to non clickable.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM

Great stuff.

The site is about bringing Mentors and Mentee's together. It's at a very early stage (think lean Startup MVP) released to see what works and get feedback so we can focus on the strengths and drop what doesn't work.

Anyone who signs up currently gets free lifetime membership and we really want to sknow what works for folks (or if you hate it)

The site is www.mentor118.com

Thanks in advance. David Croissant
Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 PM

Default site review comments

Hi,

I think this is a really interesting concept! I love how you are promoting positive action.

I'm not sure how specific you would like comments to be, so I'll just throw some ideas at you and hope they are helpful.

One quick fix--one of the rotating descriptors near the top uses "Mentees," which should not have an apostrophe, since it's plural and not possessive.

I'm wondering what you could do to solidify the image of the organization and make it more memorable? The logo name and image could belong to a lot of different organizations. I like the colors of the first two photos at the top (the swimmer and the grass), but I'm not sure they really speak to the mission of the site. The third photo (a handshake) is more muted and looks like a conventional business. Obviously, if you had actual pictures of mentors and mentees, that would be ideal, but until then, I wonder if there are some images that are a better fit for the kinds of people you're trying to connect?

I didn't go past the first page, so this is just a first impression. Best of luck!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 PM

From an artistic design point of view the site looks incredibly good. I can only say that I love the design as it is clean and fresh looking which most people love. I read many times that the look and colour of a website is so important to the bounce rate and getting people to remain on the site for a while and read it.
So, in my opinion you have got that bit spot on.
Alf
Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM

Overall, it looks very nice and is easy to use and logically laid out.

If I had a criticism it would be a typographical one. The use of similar-sized and weighted fonts in body text, subheads, heads and menus, added to the amount of white space makes it quite hard to distinguish one item from another.

I'm guessing this is WP, or similar CMS template, so it may not be as easy to customize as plain html and css? But if you can, I would vary font sizes and weights, and perhaps add borders and boxes (subtly!) to separate out content and provide emphasis where it is needed, etc.

Have a look at the Radio Times site. I know it's not about mentoring (and is HUGE), but given the sheer amount of content on their site I think they've done a pretty good job of making it both readable and navigable through subtle variations in text size/weight/colour, and the use of vertical and horizontal rules, pull quotes, tinted and ruled boxes, sidebars, etc.

And before you ask...yes I am a typographer by trade so by all means ignore me!

Best of luck with the site; great idea and a great service to many.

Last edited by webmonkey; 04-25-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 AM

Folks, thanks so much for your feedback - all useful and I'd be please for any more.

Now. the 64Million Pound question - Would you use this site (i.e. lets focus on the concept) - and if you would use it, please get yourself on there and start posting your skills and Mentor requests and lets make it of value. Remember I'm never ever going to charge you folks for joining and using the site.

The site is a MVP (lean Startup concept) so is getting updated every few hours at times but I dont expect any core functionally to break so it's good to go.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 AM

Well the site is certainly well designed and visually appealing. But who would use it and why. For mentees maybe easier to understand. But for mentors, why?
Some people like to 'give back' something in exchange for the enjoyment they have got from their industry.
Being a bit mercenary I would suspect most mentors would like something in return for their knowledge.
How will you corroborate mentors information?
I would like to be able to see the quality of mentors/mentor's information before signing up.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:15 PM

Thanks for this Raysor.

We had quite a complex reward system build it (fixed/time and materials cost v percentage/equity) but it kinda confused the message.

What I did yesterday was reinstate a simple text box asking how you would reward you menter and today we got our first request

They're looking for SEO for their Herballife business and are offering 10% commission of retail sales months in first 6 months so it looks like we're on the right track.

The Mentors can be seen at http://www.mentor118.com/uk/public-show-mentors.php though I plan to put some of this information and that of the Mentees on the home page shortly (currently Mentors snipets of information are shown in a rolling box in the centre of the home page)

Also, validation. In time when up and running I plan to add a review and rating of Mentors that have helped you in your project but currently this is backed up by Mentors posting articles online they have written or posts about them.

Again, thanks for you input and more please.

Also, already 137 pages in the Google index after launch last Friday which I'm really please about.

DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysor View Post
Well the site is certainly well designed and visually appealing. But who would use it and why. For mentees maybe easier to understand. But for mentors, why?
Some people like to 'give back' something in exchange for the enjoyment they have got from their industry.
Being a bit mercenary I would suspect most mentors would like something in return for their knowledge.
How will you corroborate mentors information?
I would like to be able to see the quality of mentors/mentor's information before signing up.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 AM

Quick update, recent requests for Mentors are now shown on the home page and the medial buttons mean they get posted to FaceBook, Twitter and Linkedin as well.
Closed Thread