StatCounter User Forum  
StatCounter Free web tracker and counter

Go Back   StatCounter User Forum > StatCounter.com > Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 04:48 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to richards1052
Default Sitemeter vs. Statcounter

A fellow Typepad blogger highly recommended statcounter in a discussion within the UserGroup. After visiting the statcounter site I'm pretty intrigued.

But can someone give me a bit more detail about what I will & won't be getting if I switch? Are there any sitemeter features I might be losing & are there new features I'd gain by switching?
Old 07-09-2004, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmoriar
I have never used Sitemeter myself but here is a link to our demo: http://my.statcounter.com/project/st...234043&guest=1
Yes, I've already looked it over & it appears impressive. However, when one isn't familiar with a product it's always hard to see how precisely it's different &/or better than what you're now using.

Statcounter has a forum like this one which is a big plus (sitemeter doesn't have one). It also allows displaying of site stats for a customized interval of time which sitemeter doesn't provide. Are there any other features it has which sitemeter doesn't?

Sitemeter provides e mail notification of stats breakout on a regular interval. Does statcounter have this option?
Old 07-13-2004, 09:37 AM

I don't mean to sound mean with this statement but what can you possibly not understand about this program.... everything here is self explanatory...

Now, if you were complaining about navigation I can understand this... to have an icon that is the size of a toenail clipping and expect people to know to click on that without any text... yes, I agree, that should be fixed but that is NOT what you are complaining about....

What feature can you possibly not understand on this..... You are in the right place because here is where to ask how to work something... ask and ye shall receive... We here in the forums will be quite glad to answer any questions that you have.....
Christina is great at helping people out as is the webmaster and few more people in here.

Hope it helps
Old 07-14-2004, 04:53 AM

Stactcounter doesn't track the duration of a pageview - yet. Personally I don't see how that could be done either, but others say it can be done, so who am I to argue? But I'll just say that I usually have at least 5 windows open and jump around a lot so I fail to see how it can be determined when I'm actively looking at one page or another, when I myself don't know it. Stranger things have been done though....

You do get the pageviews per visitor though. That's under Path. There are no numbers there, just a list of all the url's (or page titles) a particular visitor has visited, plus the number of return visits. All this is based on the log entries (max 100 for the free version).

Hope this helps.

Please do not PM me for support. The forum is here for that.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacularstuff
I don't mean to sound mean with this statement but what can you possibly not understand about this program.... everything here is self explanatory...

Now, if you were complaining about navigation...

Hope it helps
How does it help when an experienced statcounter user insults a newbie (as jrotem said above)?? I didn't say I didn't know how to use the program & I certainly NEVER complained about it. You should read posts more carefully before categorizing them so flippantly.

I've never used statcounter before. I quite like sitemeter but am willing to consider trying a new product. I'd hoped to get some detail from other statcounter users about what specifically they like about it. I was also hoping that some former sitemeter users who've moved over the statcounter could shine some light on this subject.

No one in this thread has really answered the original question & now you've both insulted me & accused me of complaining about statcounter. What a swell welcome to the statcounter community!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:15 AM

Richard, please don't pay too much attention to little bits of bickering you encounter here. This is a bit of a spillover from another issue which has since been resolved.

I hope you feel welcome to this forum. It is a great community, despite apparent blooper arguments that flare up now and then If anything, they make for a spot of entertainment, and it's really friendly needling that's going on. Well, at least I hope it's friendly.

I have personally not used Sitemeter but have used other free counters and Statcounter is amazingly complete in what it reports, plus it is continually evolving, with more features added almost weekly, if not daily. The basic free service is hard to beat. Actually, I don't think anything beats it at present.

It's possible the online documentation may be a bit lacking lately, especially with the new features added, which we, who've been around a bit longer, have been able to absorb more easily on the fly. In truth, I haven't had to consult it in a long time, so maybe it is in fact fully up-to-date.

Please feel free to ask and talk about any issues concerning Statcounter, it's usage within your web pages, bugs or suggestions for improvement. Somebody is bound to provide the answer that helps.

Old 07-14-2004, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisooc
Richard, please don't pay too much attention to little bits of bickering you encounter here.
No, I'm not really too offended & certainly don't hold it against statcounter. Actually, I've installed statcounter on my blog & plan to compare it to sitemeter which I'm also using.

One thing I've noticed that sitemeter does that statcounter doesn't (at least yet) is a daily stat summary e mail update. Acc. to statcounter's site, you can only set a notification to go out weekly (which doesn't help me very much). YOu might want to consider adding that option sometime.

Also, in reply to your comment about documentation...it is still rather sparse. If you go to http://www.statcounter.com/help/getting_started/ , the last 3 items on the page are truncated as if someone started to write text for the FAQs but never finished. It sure looks a bit odd to me.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:47 AM

I think I've seen a post somewhere from a staff member saying that the documentation is being organized and re-written. It's just not finished yet, that's all.

But yes, those last 3 topics are definitely unfinished, truncated. It gets me thinking that maybe there's a space limitation somwhere which may be playing tricks.

Stephen, are you reading this?

Old 07-15-2004, 05:36 AM

well, I am glad you got your answers solved... as I said....Christine is awesome at helping out. I really was not meaning any offense by the statement... more of shock then anything.... really did not know how to ask... long night..... everyone here is very helpful and willing to help....
Glad you got the answers you were looking for.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacularstuff
well, I am glad you got your answers solved... as I said....Christine is awesome at helping out. I really was not meaning any offense by the statement... more of shock then anything.... really did not know how to ask... long night..... everyone here is very helpful and willing to help....
Glad you got the answers you were looking for.
Sorry, but I didn't get the answers I wanted since no one here can give me a detailed comparison bet. statcounter & sitemeter which is what I really wanted. BUt you sometimes have to accept in life that you're not going to get everything you want.
Closed Thread