StatCounter User Forum  
StatCounter Free web tracker and counter

Go Back   StatCounter User Forum > Webmaster > Lounge (non-StatCounter related topics here!)

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Alexa (www.alexa.com). How does it work?

How does alexa work? can someone tell me. We now have a rating of 577,543 which means (AFAIK thats how importent it considers us to be on the web. (Statconter home page being 321 with 1 being the most important site on the web.).

How does it get or guess information of our page views?

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/tr...p://webit.net/

Also, I'm over the moon that we already have a Google PR of 2 without doing any promotion. Onwards and upwards.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:10 AM

ah, just found the answer (this used to be a dead link!). It from the toolbar users (Alexa and I guess re-brands such as A9). Intresting though.

http://pages.alexa.com/prod_serv/tra...l#traffic_rank
Old 06-19-2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webit
It from the toolbar users (Alexa and I guess re-brands such as A9).
Yes. And that makes it wildly inaccurate. Since it only counts users who are williing to sport one of the Amazon.com toolbars (both Alexa and A9 are Amazon companies), and because many spyware-watch programs flag those toolbars as dangerous, you get from them only a very limited self-selected pool of users.

A9 is actually a kind-of-cool search engine and so it might be attracting a broader range of users, but when it was only Alexa collecting the stats, I suspect that the user pool was weighted heavily toward web-master types which would give a skewed set of stats.

(A9, by the way, uses Google's search index, but adds several features to the results page that Google doesn't offer.)
Old 06-20-2005, 07:58 PM

I'd be interested to know what you have done or promotion you've used to get the stats jumping up so high.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:42 AM

Our ranking at such an early stage is interesting. Also, if your look at this weeks and monthly traffic it’ll be interesting to see the effect it has on the next 3 monthly stats (the default for the Alexa ranking).

We haven’t done any promotion to date apart from dropping the name on some targeted websites with a moderate Page Rank so all that I can put it down is to the web site content.

For example. We consider the site to be a very useful resource and hopefully so do those who’ve found the site. (We had our first registrations a few hours after the DNS was switched over from our holding page!) And yesterday we had over 220 users online consecutively at one point. All helps.

We we’re ‘seeding’ the domain name prior to this point and our current rankings are (I think)

Search for webit
3rd page Google
2nd page MSN
3rd page A9
3rd page Yahoo

These placements suit us fine as we’re still tuning code at this stage and ‘bedding’ in the code for which the responses from this forum have been very helpful both in terms of application and concept.

I’ve designed the site to be very search engine friendly with all links on the public area in the form of http://webit.net/hpi/cd/36880.

Bringing through dynamic content into the title tags (see the above example)

Also, being a dynamic site we have a lot of content which helps.

Also, I think purchasing existing domain names have helped (Alexa reports http://www.webit.net as being online since 1995, hence no Google ‘sandboxing’)

HTH
Old 06-21-2005, 11:29 AM

I'd definitely say the dynamic content and page title links is a big bonus.

Could the registration link be clearer with the 'click the sign-up' link being a link. Users will look for sign-up but have a choice of going to Registration, Register Now! or join for free which is a little confusing.

Nice clean looking site in my browser though it doesn't validate
Old 02-14-2006, 01:16 PM
MERV SKILTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinev
Yes. And that makes it wildly inaccurate. Since it only counts users who are williing to sport one of the Amazon.com toolbars (both Alexa and A9 are Amazon companies), and because many spyware-watch programs flag those toolbars as dangerous, you get from them only a very limited self-selected pool of users.

A9 is actually a kind-of-cool search engine and so it might be attracting a broader range of users, but when it was only Alexa collecting the stats, I suspect that the user pool was weighted heavily toward web-master types which would give a skewed set of stats.

(A9, by the way, uses Google's search index, but adds several features to the results page that Google doesn't offer.)
Over 10 million Alexa toolbars can't be wrong, that's how many are used to achieve the Alexa world rankings.. and if you have a look at the rankings of the biggest players on the web, you'll find they are exactly where you would expect them to be.

I love Alexa.. how's this? BiG NEWS..
www.merv.com.au & www.sHaMoZzLe.com ...
..now ranked No.58,634 in the world by Alexa..
of over 43 million websites!!.. BiG MERV's now up with the big boys in only 6 months!

"Merv.com.au.. one of the fastest growing websites in the world!"
Old 02-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Master Member

It appears that the alexa rankings are based on IP number for the domain. I thought it was by domain name since all of my subdomains and main domain share the same number - 103,176 as of today. However, shamozzle.com and merv.com.au share the same rank so it looks like it is by server ip number. I'm assuming they are on shared hosting with the same IP number.
I also wonder how much one user can skew the results. If you have the alexa toolbar installed and visit your site several times per day this will probably affect the results. It would be very easy to spam these results also. You could install the alexa toolbar and then create a page with a meta refresh set for every few seconds and open that in your browser. Just leave one browser window open with that page in it all day and the results would be very skewed.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Brisguy52

Quote:
Originally Posted by webit
How does alexa work? .............................
who cares !
Old 02-15-2006, 12:29 PM

It's really little more than a very cleverly disguised marketing tool. They offer free services just like anyone else, but those services are limited, very limited. If you want more, you pay money. Nor is it accurate. I had listed my site with them way back when, and never really saw any benefit from their free services.
I checked my site with them the other day. They have a screenshot of an old layout, claim that only 11 sites link to mine, etc. In reality, about 120 sites are linked to mine, but a lot of them do not have their key words defined, or use proper meta-tags.

I've had more benefit listed with Google, MSN, Yahoo and others to be honest. If you go to Google, or Yahoo, or most of the major ones and type in "unique linkware" my site is on the first or second search page results. I'm fine with that. I would rather avoid the headaches that would come with the kind of placement on the web where my site gets hundreds or thousands of hits per day.
People seem more concerned with search engine rankings these days than the actual content and presentation of their site. Frankly, without either one, no one's going to linger more than a few seconds anyway.
Closed Thread