StatCounter User Forum  
StatCounter Free web tracker and counter

Go Back   StatCounter User Forum > StatCounter.com > Help

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 02:15 AM

Default Aol Proxy Server Ip address

Hello

I wonder if someone can help me either explain something, or verify some info.
I run a traffic site and I am getting one ip address on a constant basis. I was told that is an aol ip proxy ip that is used by aol dialup users. I wanted to find out if this is true, and if the ip does belong to aol as a proxy server for dialup clients, here is the ip address 24.167.212.155

Any information on this would be helpful, and mabe exlpain this to a couple of clients of mine.

Thanks
Silverfox
Old 09-06-2006, 02:29 AM

Use www.whois.sc/ipaddress for that ip address and you'll find out.

It's not AOl, it's Road Runner.

You'd not be very likely to see the same AOL ip address sucessively since AOL users usually get a different ip address at every pageload.

Please do not PM me for support. The forum is here for that.

Last edited by webado; 09-06-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Aol...?

Now this is a very interesting post...

I also pointed this out to our provider... We deliver over 20MM hits to over 6000 websites each month...

Out of the 20MM or so page visits each month we were receiving about 1MM hits that we would have to replace for our customers coming from 1 of 2 IP addresses:

Then, out of the blue in August - we received close to 7MM duplicates of those IP's... and, started receiving hundreds of thousands of hits each day from them... We were receiving close to 50% of our hits from these 2 IP addresses...!

We called our provider - and, received an explanation about how there must be something wrong with our tracking system and how we receive the IP addresses... (we do this for a living...)

Then, we were told that the system 'masked' the IP addresses being sent to us... (again, we do this for a living...)

Then, we were told that those IP addresses belong to the 'Most Giant Gateway Proxy Server' of AOL - and, everyone in AOL is now using a proxy server for their Internet browsing...

We decided to take this one step further...

One of the problems we were experiencing was our traffic gateway was showing about 200% more traffic than our 'on site' tracking and counter systems on our websites... Which means that wherever those 'ghost hits' were coming from - they were not loading our clients websites...

So, we ran some tests on those IP addresses in our raw server logs - and, noticed that each of them only had 1 user-agent...

Is it not true that the 'end-users' user-agent is still accessible as a global variable...?

Anyway - we now have both of those IP addresses blocked and are not receiving any more hits from them...

We did receive a long explanation from our resellers provider about the AOL gateway... However, if you do a traceroute on either one of those IP addresses - you will see that they end up in Wisconsin... I don't know why RoadRunner or AOL would reroute ALL of their Internet traffic through WI - I would expect them (if they did) to route everything through a gateway that is nearer a main hub... Or, at least - a gateway for each service area...

You can use this tool to do a traceroute on either of those IP addresses:

http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp

Or, you can use your command line and do a traceroute from there... Either way, you end up in WI...

Anyway - that is my take on those IP addresses... We only receive them through one source (which is now blocked) - I would think, if they were AOL users - we would see them in ALL sources we use...
Old 09-23-2006, 07:26 AM

Those 2 ip addresses are Roard Runner, not AOL.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:03 PM

Yes they are...

Does any company have such a proxy - where all of their subscribers show up with the same IP and _SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]...?

Old 09-24-2006, 04:13 PM

I'd say all users in company or organization will typically share the same external IP address, whether accessing the internet by proxy or not.

Satcounter tracking code tries to go one step behind the first detected IP address if it also detects a proxy is being used (several indicators are available for proxy detetction, but rather hit and miss). Statcounter reports the previous IP address behind the proxy IP address. Sometimes this leads to some other external IP address being behind it (as would be the case with anonymizer proxies). Sometimes it winds up with an internal network computer's IP address however, such as 192.168.XXX.XXX, as would be the case with some organizational proxies (school for instance), probably because that proxy is not set up correctly.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:30 PM

I just want to add - that these (2) IP addresses are continuously being reported as a source of SPAM...

http://www.domaintools.com/rbl/?ip=24.167.212.155
http://www.domaintools.com/rbl/?ip=24.167.215.75

So, be wary when you see traffic coming from these IP addresses...

Closed Thread