1. awasp67

awasp67 New Member

Anyone still here for a "general" discussion about stuff?

I'd like to know why intelligent (no I'm not being sarcastic) people in the UK voted to leave and in the US you voted for (what appears to be) a fool.

2. webado

webado Moderator

Those were caused by weird metaphysical phenomena that cannot be explained by logic.

3. bobby131313

bobby131313 Moderator

We had ZERO choice, it was vote for a fool and/or criminal or don't vote.

4. raysor

raysor New Member

I suppose, in the UK, the Brexiteers did not believe they would win.
    Possibly they wanted to reduce the margin that the Remainers might win by (by which the Remainers might win).
    From that position maybe we could strike better deals with them.

Why did the majority of voters want out?

Corruption
    Run by France & Germany rather than the community.
    Heading towards bankruptcy/ break-up
    Too many politicians joining the gravy train (Kinnocks?)
    Or as Rees-Mogg said (or was it David Buick?) "If the Uk is going to mess it up, better we mess it up ourselves"

PS. FTSE100 at all time high.

5. awasp67

awasp67 New Member

I guess I understand the brexit vote more, since I'm closer to it (I'm English but live in France) but I still find it incredible that people can vote for something they can't know the outcome of. It's possible, unlikely maybe, that the UK could lose all trade with the EU, lose it's influence in NATO, lose the rights of Ex-pats in Europe (that's me btw), lose the european arrest warrant, lose border controls in France - all possible and shouldn't that have been a choice on the ballot paper.

FTSE100 - based largely on the weakness of the GBP and the top companies trading in dollars (and euros).

I think Cameron's arrogance was such the people got a vote on "Do you think things are bad yes or no"? Rather than here's the things we can do about it what's your instruction.

I'm not here for an argument (although feel free), more a discussion amongst people whose opinions I largely respect (caveat purely for the inevitable idiot).

As for the US I don't we outside understand how reviled Hilary was/is. All we saw was an established politician and a joke candidate who just happened to have enough money to get through to the final election.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  6. awasp67

awasp67 New Member

BTW the most logical answer I've heard so far so when Mr H Potter gets back from holidays maybe a quick Confundo Exumai (don't you love wikipedia?)

7. awasp67

awasp67 New Member

So no comment?
    No interest?
    WTF can we do?
    No real change?

8. raysor

raysor New Member

NO comment
    No interest
    We can't do anything.
    There may very well be real change!

9. webado

webado Moderator

Oh there has been and will be real change. Horrible change.

10. activewebs

activewebs New Member

I thought i was lucky to live in a democratic society - one where the majority would be followed by the total . that is to say if there are 10 votes to be counted. and the outcome is 6 to 4 then all ten voters would follow the outcome - NO ifs NO buts NO maybe .. dont debate the outcome of a vote - the debating time is over - now follow the path of TRUE democracy and stand side by side with the result -

11. WindyBoy

WindyBoy New Member

Sometimes you need checks and balances in a democratic system because if vote is 5 to 5 then what do you do. This is also important to avoid civil war if the issue is big.