Alexa and Google Page Rank?

Discussion in 'Lounge (non-StatCounter related topics here!)' started by searchatrader, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. searchatrader

searchatrader New Member

Confirmed, must be originality..

Hi, i want to tell you that i reached page 1 on Google after sorting out my keywords, keyword phase is ' business advertising ', which i believe is VERY high in competition. I only have a PR2 website, becuse i hope, is because it is new. I have very few backlinks, but my content and what i offer is unique.

How does a new site not even 5 months old, few backlinks get page 1 status on such a high competitive keyword phrase?

I am just assuming this is the reason why i am, Google either like my concept, or they are giving me a chance?

Andy

2. bobby131313

bobby131313 Moderator

Young sites, unless they trip some really bad filters, typically get rotated in and out of high positions on selected Google datacenters. I speculate :wink: that this is to do some click popularity testing of the site. They can also test visit lengths if a GA cookie is set. All this works towards an initial (more stable) ranking later in life.

3. searchatrader

searchatrader New Member

That's very interesting reading Bobby, cheers. Well let's hope they keep there for some time.

4. webmonkey

webmonkey New Member

Yes, the second of those is very droll! :grin:
    We started filing VAT returns online last year and I was initially very cynical about the process given the track-record of government software, etc and the truly appalling 'service' provided by Companies House and the IR online. But I am amazed to say HMRC VAT online works faultlessly and we get the benefit of an extra 10 days before payment is taken. Though why VAT should work so well online and IR not when both are now the same department is an enigma..:roll:

5. raysor

raysor New Member

Has Google 'given up'?
    The problem of manipulation was explained to me by likening it to a DDoS attack. You know how it works, you may see it coming, but you cannot do anything to prevent it.

6. webmonkey

webmonkey New Member

Has Google given up?

Good question: perhaps the mods might like to create a new thread on that topic?

Personally, I don't think it has. But I do think it's not the organisation it was when folks like us migrated to it all those years ago from Yahoo et al.

There have been numerous defections of quite high-profile staff in the last year and opinion among those inside Google seems increasingly divided as to what direction(s) the company should take and what priorities it should focus upon in the wake of 'innovations' like Plus1. Again, personally, I am increasingly using Bing and other SE's like Duckduckgo, and find they often (but not always) deliver more relevant results. Is the writing on the wall for Google as the dominanant SE? Again, good question. What are your (or anyone else's) thoughts?

7. AVWebsites

AVWebsites New Member

Hi Raysor:

When I first checked, you were at #8, today, at #11.

8. raysor

raysor New Member

Thanks Jason,
    Moving about a bit-could be good news, need to be #1 or #2

9. searchatrader

searchatrader New Member

I learned something else, my position was on 1st page everytime...BUT, i didnt realise i was signed in to Google, and thats why! Is this to fool you of a good position? I cleared my cookies and signed our of google, then i found i was on page 3, so still got much more work cut out for me to do to get no.1 or 2 lol.

10. webmonkey

webmonkey New Member

B*gger! Now you've done it. Couldn't you have kept quiet? I guess Google has not been sending you the plain brown envelope the rest of us get every month... ;-)

B*gger: now I've done it! :roll:

11. Tomutzi

Tomutzi New Member

If your site is pretty new they might give you a chance because of this fact alone. But you can't rely on it as Google can put you into the sandbox soon and it takes time to recover. This is often the case with new sites that rank high for competitive keywords. Something's odd with them and it won't take long that they're gone for a while.

12. kamalnadem

kamalnadem New Member

i have pr 4 on my site:-D

13. lesithmaria

lesithmaria New Member

i guess alexa ranking gives the precise info as rather the google page rank is to do with nothing as it do not maintain the records......no updation!!:)

14. raysor

raysor New Member

Hi Buddy, Would you mind just checking that for me sometime (live share prices & share prices) in US.

I got #2 on my PC but my business partner (about 5 miles away) got #5 (in UK)
    It may just be that if you recently logged out of G it remembers the position (??)

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  15. GreatK

GreatK New Member

Alexa

No alexa wasn't much useful to me. I had been using nibbler for sometime now.

16. nlsubtitles

nlsubtitles New Member

Whats nibbler?

--------------------
    Read the forum rules!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
  17. raysor

raysor New Member

Nibbler

http://nibbler.silktide.com/

It is quite useful for showing weak/strong areas of your site.

It is also good fun trying to get to No.1 (which we did with Shareworld some months ago!)

Mind you I find it hard to "test your website" now it has been altered. Maybe you have to register.

Alexa was slightly more useful when you could do a comparison with another website and that would throw up more detail (graphs) on your own site even if your ranking was below 100,000.
    Also they had more data on bounce rates etc. than they give now.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  18. clickarticles

clickarticles New Member

Alexa is not much to be worried about. Google PageRank is important. There would be many who would ask you to ignore the importance of Google PageRank. But, the fact is Google PageRank is one factor which will affect your Google Ranking. The important thing to consider is building quality links on high PageRank webpages which will help you improve both your search engine ranking and PageRank.

19. webmonkey

webmonkey New Member

Such has been the received "wisdom" for many years. But a simple check of SERPS for any keywords you like quickly reveals that this is no longer the case.

Many sites with very low PR (2 and below) now often outrank PR6 and 8 sites.

20. friesecustoms

friesecustoms New Member

Alexa and Google are Fine. Linkscape isn't

Alexa can update daily, Google updates whenever they feel the need, Linkscape, however, no matter how hard they try, can't get their indexing done.

First the capacity was too small, then the software had bugs. Now they had a hardware failure. They are trying to expand to 100billion and their system keeps biting back. They did announce that they will try to have it done by the end of the month. So, for all who track Linkscape rankings (MozRank) , just hang in there. They really are trying

Statcounter Forum Rules!

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.