Animated Gifs

Discussion in 'Lounge (non-StatCounter related topics here!)' started by graham35, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graham35

graham35 New Member

When I use to come to this forum there were several posters, Motorwatcher & Chrisooc to name 2 - had animated gifs as their signature.
    Now I am not sure that the gifs are still animated or not, but for some unknown (to me) reason my pc does not display any animated gifs any more - as far as I am aware I have not changed any settings....
    I use IE6 and Opera 7.54 and the animation does not display on either browsers. I have visited other sites that have animated gifs and they don't show either, the gifs shows but not the animation. Any ideas please (some might say I am lucky not to have them display!!!!!!)

2. webado

webado Moderator

I don't know about Opera, but in IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > under Multimedia > Play animations in web pages should be enabled.

3. graham35

graham35 New Member

Thanks Chrisooc
    I have tried that, it is - was enabled, tried setting the defaults etc - still no good. Opera has the same type of settings - which are set to show the animation, but still does not display.
    Is your father christmas animated?

4. webado

webado Moderator

Yes, my Santa is animated. It blinks.

Maybe look at the other settings in that area of Multimedia. Like Smart image dithering (no ides what this is, but I have it enabled).

And maybe you need to reboot for some settings to have an effect.

5. motorwatchercounter

motorwatchercounter New Member

Hi Graham35,

Chrisooc's and my sigs are animated. Mine should show a walking Father Chrismas. Firstly can you see these?

If not then it is your PC settings. It you are using IE go to tools>Internet Options, click the advanced tab and click restore defaults. See if this works.

If you can see the animations then it is you file you want to use. Bring up the file and make sure it is animated. Make sure that it has a gif extension (something.gif). Load it onto your server (use the root for ease). Go to profiles in the header of this page. In signatures use the following code http://www.yourdomain.xxx/thegif.gif[/img]

Obviously change the domain and the gif to represent what you are going to show.

Let us know how you get on and I will try and think of other way's :lol:

As I am typing this I see my server is down so my images may not be showing.

Just another thought. Have you associated the gif extension to be opened by something that does not have animation (paint for example?)

6. JWJ

JWJ Moderator

Motorwatchercounter,
    Maybe I shouldn't take this comment too literally, but it does prompt me to ask, can you see MY animated gif? I haven't done one before, let alone display it within my signature, so it's possible I've got something wrong and I'm the only one who can see it. Please let me know.

7. motorwatchercounter

motorwatchercounter New Member

It is fine. Lights are flashing nicely.

8. graham35

graham35 New Member

Hi Motorwatcher
    Thanks for your reply, I am not trying to set an animated gif into my signature - I am trying to find out why my PC does not display the animation in your signatures, I use to see your cars going round and Chrisoocs little cat, but all the gif show up on my screen but the animations don't animate, they are all static...

Thanks every one for you input, but we need to dig a bit deeper - perhaps I should offer a prize!!!!!

9. JWJ

JWJ Moderator

MWC, Thanks for that ... wouldn't have been the first time I thought I'd put something 'on the web' when I hadn't really :)

Graham, I had a similar problem a long time ago, and it turned out to be a Windows issue. It would be worth running an animated gif on your pc without using IE ... that would eliminate or confirm IE as the culprit.

I have XP, and if I right click on an animation there is a menu option for Preview. That opens the gif in the viewer, and the animation runs just fine. If you haven't got a local animation to try it with, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you one.

Oh, another thought .... an animated gif it can be set as your desktop wallpaper (centered tile) ... it should animate fine.

10. graham35

graham35 New Member

Sorted now thanks, un-done the settings\ apply and then shut down - then re-set the settings\ apply\ re-start, now the animation work fine......

Damn that dancing - flashing santa, and that flashing house and tree well.........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.