Are Statcounter cookies now illegal?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by chocolatefish, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chocolatefish

chocolatefish New Member

We have been told that as from May 26th the new law on cookies "affects any website which uses ‘non essential’ cookies, such as visitor tracking code or advertising, and does business in the UK. For example, if your website uses Google Analytics, this law affects you."

http://blog.silktide.com/2011/05/cookie-law-makes-most-uk-websites-illegal-what-you-need-to-know/

Is StatCounter introducing a message for webpages whereby customers can be informed and asked if they wish to opt in or not? If not, it looks like we will all have to remove all such information-gathering cookies from our websites.

2. Arne

Arne New Member

3. chocolatefish

chocolatefish New Member

As I understand it the law has not been "postponed" for a year, but that the UK government is giving websites a year in which to comply with the law. However if anyone were to make a complaint about the existence of tracking cookies on a website in the meantime, the law would have to take its course - and that means anything up to a £500,000.00 fine!

I read that "The European Advertising Standards Alliance has developed a code of practice to support the directive, where companies will add a small button to ads that allow users to block tracking by specific companies."

How can we add a similar button to a website so that customers can block Statcounter's cookies?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...-penalty-cookie-tracking-rules#ixzz1NxUukxHWy.

4. Arne

Arne New Member

You better address the Statcounter Admin (support) directly, if you like to have quick response to your question.

Anyway, my opinion is that it's not you having the cookie, asuming you don't any other cookies on your site?

The counter cookie is a Statcounter cookie, my browser reports "0 cookies" for my pages. ;)

I'm suppriced so many online (news paper) sites in English are writing so much about this lately.
    I can't find anything from any (news or other) sites within my country and language that care about it.

EDIT: I believe browsing the Internet would be a real pain if you have to click on something on every page to allow or deny cookies.
    Every browser (and other security software) has the options to set how the user want the cookies to be handled.
    That may be hard to do for many users, on some browsers. So it is up the browsers who need to make it easier.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  5. tom paine

tom paine New Member

I think that IMPLEMENTATION of the law is delayed in the UK. You should be seen to be making moves towards compliance to be considered OK, but since no-one can tell you what this means, I shall sit tight.
    Do you realise that our law makers get paid for this dross? I think that it's their revenge for the expenses furore :roll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.