[ASK] Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone get hits on their sites from Twitter that show up in their website stats either with Stacounter or say their intergrated site stats?

They used to show from time to time in my site admin stats but not for a while. Just wondered...

I had a Twitter visitor yesterday - and only one is not abnormal. Referring website looked as usual. But I think more and more people have referring website disabled. "Private surf" I believe have that effect.

Thanks bella61,

I the feeling that things happen so fast on Twitter that no-one really bothers to read anything. I am using addme to post on twitter and can post 20 or so posts in quick succession literally flooding the page nad have used this from several sites still nowt shows as coming from twitter. All a bit weird really methinks :roll:

I the feeling that things happen so fast on Twitter that no-one really bothers to read anything. I am using addme to post on twitter and can post 20 or so posts in quick succession literally flooding the page nad have used this from several sites still nowt shows as coming from twitter. All a bit weird really methinks :roll:
If you are 'flooding the page' you'll be greatly reducing the chance of getting clickthroughs from Twitter: you'll be perceived as a spammer, and maybe reported for that as well.

Does anyone get hits on their sites from Twitter that show up in their website stats either with Stacounter or say their intergrated site stats?

They used to show from time to time in my site admin stats but not for a while. Just wondered...
Where it matters for me I can only use the HTML-only StatCounter, so I cannot see referrers anyway.

But from the pattern of hits and the fact that I get new followers interested in photography I can deduce I am definitely getting hits from Twitter.

And I am getting even more hits from identi.ca where I am much more active, have more followers, and there are actual groups I am a member of and thus can post to. I know I am getting them because people are commenting on my posts on identi.ca.

Don't forget that many people do not use Twitter's (or identi.ca's) website at all but instead use dedicated clients - you're not likely to recognize any hits from those because they often do not provide referrer (even if their browser does) even if your are getting the hits.

There are other tricks you could use to recognize where people are coming from, for instance adding a query parameter to the target URL that is ignored by the target site. Not bullet-proof, because some browsers don't report query parameters, but you would get more information than you are getting now, even without any referrers.

I update my own Twitter with help of Tweetdeck. Then Bitly is used for linkshrinking. Bitly provide their own statistics for click on these links.

I can see that none (except for one) of the reported click at Bitly is reported at Statcounter. So either the interface used for reading my tweets stops referring website OR statcounter have problems to get that information. Or the users browser is in any kind of private mode.

I had one visit showing up at Statscounter last two weeks and I think I had about 50 click due to Bitly.

Last edited:

StatCounterJen

StatCounter Team
Folks,

I did some investigations about Twitter a while back... I'll share some of my findings here - they may be useful to some people in this thread.

Let's imagine you post a link to your site on twitter - here's what happens in a few different scenarios...

Someone clicks your link when checking twitter:

• Via twitter.com - you will see a referrer from twitter.com in your stats
  • Via Seesmic Web - you will see a referrer from seesmic.com in your stats
  • Via Echofon - you won't see ANY referrer as echofon uses ssl for authentication - no referring information is passed from https sites but the hit WILL be recorded in your stats
  • Via Twitterrific - you'll see a referrer from iconfactory.com/twitterrific in your stats
  • Via Tweetdeck - you won't see ANY referrer as tweetdeck doesn't supply any referring information but the hit WILL be recorded in your stats
  • etc
  • etc

So basically any hits you get from twitter will be recorded by StatCounter BUT you won't necessarily get any referring information - that depends on the twitter client being used - where no referring information is available the hits will be categorized as "No Referring Link".

Interestingly, our Global Stats for Social Media suggest that Facebook and StumbleUpon tend to refer a lot more traffic than Twitter.

Cheers all and thanks for the info.

Twitter has started to appear in my stats and even had some signups from them so they must be coming from web tweets.

StatCounterJen

StatCounter Team
Thanks for a clarifying post. I agree in you quoted observation too. Not many from twitter - much more from facebook,.

I almost forgot - visitors via tweets at topsy.com have topsy.com as referrers.
Bella - thanks for that referrer.

Please feel free to post any other twitter client referrers that you come across in your stats - the more can compile the better!

(We try to combine all the twitter.com referrals with the various referrers from the different twitter clients in our Global Stats to get the best measure possible of twitter referral traffic - some twitter referrals are always missed where no referring information is available e.g. echofon as mentioned in my post above - but the more referral strings we can put together the better we can measure twitter's traffic generation capabilities.)

I'm thinking that a section in the StatCounter stats specifically for Social Media referrals could be an interesting addition... anyone agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.