Block spammers IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, 80% of my website visits are from weird places in Asia. Can I block their IP addresses. They all start with google.b.doubleclick.net..etc.

Car Guy

Super Moderator
Hi

You can block the IP from your stats with Statcounter, but not from accessing your site.

To block an IP from accessing your site, you need access to the server.

I find that blocking access to your site is a never ending game as they will always find another IP to use.

Hi
You can block the IP from your stats with Statcounter...
I wasn't aware you could do that. Do you mean your own IP, or ANY IP? If the letter where is the option to do that?

As for the merits or demerits of blocking spamming IP's from one's site or sites, I tend to agree with you that it is a fruitless exercise. Many of them use Proxies, and those that don't use IP's that change frequently. One would have to spend hours writing lines in htacces ...and probably block whole IP ranges (or entire countries) which, of course, runs the risk of blocking genuine visitors too. In short, it simply is not worth the hassle IMV.

Car Guy

Super Moderator
I wasn't aware you could do that. Do you mean your own IP, or ANY IP? If the letter where is the option to do that?
Click the little wrench to the right of any of your Projects, then Edit Project Settings.
You will see IP Blocking, with your current IP shown. You can also apply this IP blocking to all your projects at this time.

It doesn't work for me. I have my own website, and these clowns IP list and they still show up in my stats. This morning nearly every stat in the Recent came from was from either my site or 95.215.2.27 and another one beginning with 83. My stats are totally useless

Arne

It doesn't work for me. I have my own website, and these clowns IP list and they still show up in my stats. This morning nearly every stat in the Recent came from was from either my site or 95.215.2.27 and another one beginning with 83. My stats are totally useless
Be sure you don't have any empty space after the IP address, one IP on each line and no empty line below the last IP.

Thanks for your reply. I did that a week ago, and double checked it after coming in here and seeing this being recommended. Here's how it ended up looking:

83.133.124.*
95.215.2.*

I added the asteriks yesterday hoping that might help. Nothing I have done has stopped them from showing up in my stats.

I'm not sure what you are saying? Do you mean I am clicking on another site and putting it there? I followed the instructions given above, but maybe I am misunderstanding them?

IP Blocking:

Block your current IP Address: [deleted]
70.189.203.104 74.70.34.41 76.73.39.227 83.133.124.* 83.133.124.95 95.215.2.27 98.211.124.201 98.212.111.41

Hint: If you know that all visitors from the same organization have a similar IP Address, you can block them all by specifying an IP Address range e.g.
Apply IP Blocking to all projects?

All I'm saying is that since you claim you are seeing new hits from an IP which you know you have blocked in your project settings, then the project used on your site may not be the same one you where you blocked the IPs.
Meaning you clsoed door A to some IP but they may get in through door B.

Are you perhaps expecting hits that were recorded BEFORE you blocked the IPs to disappear from your log? That won't happen. It's hits that occur AFTER you blocked the IPs that will not show up because they won't be logged any more.

Older hits will eventually roll off the log as time passes.

Thanks for your answer. These hits are happening after I have blocked them. Everyday I have a slough of new ones and my own website showing hits too. It makes having a stat counter useless and I can't believe the hit count anymore. I've read all the instructions and followed them, tried things beyond instructions. Nothing works, it's frustrating as I can't find any solution that will clean my stats up so I have an accurate record of the numbers. Someone said they didn't see what the problem was, but it's the same as counting myself in the stats (fortunately the blocking cookie seems to be working) it skews the numbers the same as having these urls that dump people onto a blank page, yet show up as a stat on the counter.

DebbieTT: If you can't achieve the results you want through your Statcounter account, you can do this via an htaccess file, providing you have ftp access to the sites that are being spammed.

To do this google 'htaccess blocking' All will be revealed...hopefully. ;)

I don't have access to that through my ISP. But what I would like to know is why blocking ISPs and my own site from being counted doesn't work for me? That my web site shows up as a referrer too. It didn't do it before. But these ISP's that go to blank pages but show up as a hit is what baffles me and you can't get any answers. I saw someone say they are done purposely to mess with Google stats, although I can't remember where I found that.

What bothers me though is that I go into the recent came from and its either my site, or the three ISP that lead a person to a blank page are the majority of the hits being recorded in that section. And no one has any answers. I follow the directions and nothing works. No one else is having this problem?

What bothers me though is that I go into the recent came from and its either my site, or the three ISP that lead a person to a blank page are the majority of the hits being recorded in that section. And no one has any answers. I follow the directions and nothing works. No one else is having this problem?
I have to ask if you are absolutely sure you don't have any empty space(s) after each IP, or empty line(s) below the last IP in the list?
I ask again because that is what makes the blocking not working, every time this issue has been discussed here before.

The empty spaces or lines are not "visible" for eyes, just because you don't have anything there.
Put the cursor to the left of an IP on your list, then push the "End" button on your keyboard.
Does the cursor stop on the "edge" of the last figure of the same IP? If there is a space between the figure and the cursor then there is an empty space to delete.

Put the cursor in the end of the last IP and push the down arrow on the keyboard. Does it goes down to a new (empty) line?

No one else is having this problem?
I can honesly say, I'm not. And I am by no means an expert at this stuff!
:roll:

Are you sure you're not blocking cookies in your browser? If you are, that might be contributing to your problems. Other than Arne's good advice I can't suggest anything else. I would say (as he has) that it's notoriously common to mistype IP addresses; I'm always doing it.

Each number must be separated by a dot and there must be no spaces anywhere. i.e. 174.129.241.146

One way to be sure is to type the numbers in a text editor which shows invisible characters like spaces and then cut and paste them into Statcounter.

I copy and paste them from the recent came from page. I've deleted and backspaced before and after the numbers double checked there were no spaces. I will try running them through a text editor, as you suggest and try again. I actually deleted everything as they weren't doing anything.

I wasn't sure what you meant about blocking cookies. Did you mean here? I do have blocking cookies in place and I double check that they are in place because sometimes Norton likes to clean them up, although not lately, but I still check that the blocking cookie is in place at least once a week to make sure my own visits to the site are not being counted.

Earlier in this thread I pasted what I put up in the block ISP, although the paste didn't show them on different lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.