Came From - no stats from External - Aha! Check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you can try to fix your page.

If the counter doesn't log at all then it's due to some of those errors.

If all you're concerned with is that you get no referrrers, but otherwise it logs, then you need the full Statcounter code - assuming Livejournal allows javascript. If not, then there's nothing you can do.

confusedxx said:
Thanks Christina. :)

My counter does log but it doesn't give me any referrer. :cry:

Btw, what do you mean by full statcounter code? How do I generate that?
By not selecting the html-only option.

Don't select xhtml nor w3c - they don't aply to your type of page. Just the default.

If Livejournal doesn't allow javascript you'd better leave it as it is though. And all indications are that it doesn't allow javascript. http://forum.statcounter.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19185&highlight=livejournal

So you leave it as it is and accept that you cannot have referrer information.

Last edited:
If you have the html-only counter (or your web page is on MySpace) you will not have those stats in any case.

Otherwise what I explained in this thread applies to you.

Sorry if this has been discussed over and over again, but I don't think I did anything wrong. I'm sure I missed something though. :-D (For one, I couldn't figure out where to find the external sites box! :oops:)

My "Came From" doesn't seem to work. I used the default code.

Perhaps I cannot have referrer info, too, because I'm using MSN Spaces?

Please help me. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
rocs said:
Sorry if this has been discussed over and over again, but I don't think I did anything wrong. I'm sure I missed something though. :-D (For one, I couldn't figure out where to find the external sites box! :oops:)

My "Came From" doesn't seem to work. I used the default code.

Perhaps I cannot have referrer info, too, because I'm using MSN Spaces?

Please help me. Thanks!
You cannot have referrer information because you are using the hmtl-only version of the counter (no javscript). Javscript is needed for that information.
If MSN spaces deosn't allow the javascript portion of the Statcounter code tehre's nothing you can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
chrisooc said:
I am not reporting a bug here. I am reporting a little funny discovery which I am sure will solve this problem for many users who've been puzzled by it.

You're looking at your Came From stats, and naturally you only want to see external sites. The list is empty!
Not for the first time and undoubtedly not for the last, I am confused. When I check "Came From" stats I see visitors from several different places, but some of them include websites within my site (catalog pages and the like.) Is this from visitors entering the site from bookmarked pages or do I have things configured incorrectly?

Inquiring minds want to know. . . . . =)

And thank you, by the way, to the Senior and Master members who take us newbies under their wings.

Mike

In your control panel for the project - Edit Settings - you have a text box for website url. There you woud normally list your domain url - but don't forget both versions of it - with and without www - on 2 seprate lines. You could add also any subdomains you may have.

That tells Statcounter pages containing the domains and/or subdomains listed there in their url are to be considered internal to your site. Therefore if you click "External pages only" on the Came From stats page, any url's appearing as referrers which start with any of the urls given as internal (in Edit Settings)will not be shown, thus you see only external referrers. The information is in the log - but you will skip seeing it.

"Recent Came From" works, but not totally

I created a free statcounter to put on just one Wall-Street.com page at http://www.wall-street.com/errormessage.html to help find any internal bad links. I found a few and got them pretty well cleaned up. Now the idea is to use "Came From" on an ongoing basis to also spot (and hopefully correct) any bad links coming in from other people's sites. This has worked really well, overall; however some came-froms do not show up.

For example, I have 12 visits on 6 different days between August 3 and today. But only 3 listings show up for that time period in "Recent Came From". Why are not all the "Recent Came Froms" being logged? It is doubtful that anyone has bookmarked my error page and is going to it directly. Looking at the overall "Came From" page

SUMMARY OF ALL VISITS FROM AUG. 3 TO MID-DAY AUG. 16.
Day, Date, Page Load,s Unique Visitors, First Time Visitors, Returning Visitors
Wednesday August 16th 2006 0 0 0 0
Tuesday August 15th 2006 2 2 2 0
Monday August 14th 2006 1 1 1 0
Sunday August 13th 2006 1 1 1 0
Saturday August 12th 2006 2 2 2 0
Friday August 11th 2006 1 1 1 0
Thursday August 10th 2006 2 2 2 0
Wednesday August 9th 2006 0 0 0 0
Tuesday August 8th 2006 0 0 0 0
Monday August 7th 2006 0 0 0 0
Sunday August 6th 2006 0 0 0 0
Saturday August 5th 2006 1 1 1 0
Friday August 4th 2006 1 1 1 0
Thursday August 3rd 2006 1 1 1 0

RECENT CAME FROM AS OF MID-DAY AUG. 16
Aug 13 11:16:15 PM
http://cpateam.com/investment-bkrsnone.htm
Aug 11 12:53:11 PM
http://www.simmonsco-intl.com/EnergyCompanies.aspx?Type=Upstream&cat=All&cotype= ...
Aug 3 08:18:37 PM
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19379623

Look at Recent pageloads to understand all the other stats.

No javascript - no url information so no referrers.

Some browsers and firewalls block referrer logging.

Third party images disabled - no logging at all.

Etc.

Okay, here's my question:

I have multiple domains pointed to their own folders under one master domain/website/host. When I say "pointed", I just mean the default pointing that you can do at godaddy. I have installed StatCounter code for an index page in each folder, for each domain. I have also "masked" the domain w/ godaddy's control panel.

The problem is, when I check my stats, the Came From just shows the path every time (masterdomainname . com/secondarydomainname), and the Visitor Path/Visitor activity just show the masked domain/website name("www. secondarydomainname .com").

I have a feeling this is a stupid question, but how do set this up so I know where my visitors are coming from? I assume this problem doesn't occur when someone tracks the stats of multiple pages for a regular website.

TIA!!

Last edited:
If you are using masked url forwarding (i.e. parked domain at the registrar and pointed to some other locaiton, so it makes it frames), you cannot have any referrer information.

With frames normally you would use the frames version of the counter and then you get referrer too, but not when the frameset is on one domain and the framed pages are on another domain, this does not permit finding the referrer across domain. For this you can only use the regular Statcounter code - and this is the case for masked url forwarding. So the referrer is always the domain itself and nothing else.

Although my StatCounters are working fine in all my internal pages, the "Entry Page", "Exit Page" and "Came From" are all blank. Also, there is no referring link in the navigation path. Can somebody tell me why? How can I fix that?
Thanks

aleal said:
Although my StatCounters are working fine in all my internal pages, the "Entry Page", "Exit Page" and "Came From" are all blank. Also, there is no referring link in the navigation path. Can somebody tell me why? How can I fix that?
Thanks
You have the html-only version of the Statcounter code. Therefore you will not get any url informaiton: no url of the page visited, no referrer. Thus also no Came from, no keywords and search engines, nothing that requires url information (landing, exit, etc).

In order to get any url information you need to use the full Statcounter code, which has a javascript portion. Generate the code again and simply do not select html-only .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.