City - Regional - Other breakdowns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see breakdowns by city, at least within the US. Right now (unless I'm missing something obvious) you have to look at each individual visitor stat to see where they're from.

StatCounter is GREAT! I was showing the stats to a friend today and he couldn't believe it was all free. You folks ROCK!
:D

Click on Country over on the left side of your stats screen. That gives you stats by country and also you can get a breakdown by region, city and isp.
The drill down features there are still being developed though.

Thanks, Christina!

I never looked at that aspect of the logs. I'll check it more often now that you pointed me in the right direction.

But, of course, because of the ways some ISPs report their location (or don't report it), some of the cities can be wildly inaccurate. AOL doesn't resolve correctly. Neither does Comcast in the former AT&T regions. One of the BC cable companies (I think it's Shaw) also seems to resolve to a random location.

robinev said:
Thanks, Christina!

I never looked at that aspect of the logs. I'll check it more often now that you pointed me in the right direction.

But, of course, because of the ways some ISPs report their location (or don't report it), some of the cities can be wildly inaccurate. AOL doesn't resolve correctly. Neither does Comcast in the former AT&T regions. One of the BC cable companies (I think it's Shaw) also seems to resolve to a random location.
Well, they resolve "correctly" as far as the geo-location database is concerned that is used at a given moment. These databases get updated regularly, however blocks of IP addresses the world over are being reassigned and redistributed continually among ISP's.

I'm not suggesting a problem with either the database or the search. The problem is with the ISP.

The location is random for Comcast nee AT&T IPs because Comcast doesn't provide enough information to resolve the IP in a geo-location database. A search therefore results in a random city served by Comcast.

East-coast Comcast users, on the other hand, almost always resolve to the city (or at least the region) where the user is located because the original Comcast area reports additional location information along with the IP. Virtually all DSL providers do the same.

Here are examples of IPs (0's are actual numbers in the original) with additional information:
adsl-208-191-000-00.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net
adsl-63-199-00-000.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net
or
h-66-167-000-000.phndaz91.dynamic.covad.net

I don't know what the database looks like, but I'd guess that the "hstntx" helps in resolving the city to Houston, and "lsan" to resolve to Los Angeles, or "phndaz" to Phoenix.

Western Comcast users, on the other hand, are reported as something like c-24-18-000-000.client.comcast.net. There's just not enough information there to correctly resolve the location. (This one reported as Providence, RI. Maybe it is, but I think it's more likely it's from somewhere much closer to Seattle.)

But despite those ISP-related problems, the city breakdown is a great feature of StatCounter.

Oh, I agree with you, did so the first time actually, just thought I'd add a bit of ressurance :)

My own ISP, depending on net conditions (and maybe moon phases too :D ), sometimes gets identified as Sympatico-Ontario, and I get placed in Toronto - a little far from home, but at least still in the same country. At times it is Sympatico-Quebec and I mercifully get re-located back home to Montreal. I think it's mostly because I have a sometimes fixed - sometimes variable - IP address (it changes every so often for no apparent reason).

I remember doing a tracert once for Yahoo and getting bounced back and forth between Sympatico nodes in Ontario, New Brunswick, Quebec, back to Ontario, and so on, before actually getting on the real highway towards the destination.

Oh, some ISPs are only reporting perhaps their headquarters lcoation for all their ip addresses. I seems that Genuity gets placed in Hawaii regardless of actual location.

Status
Not open for further replies.