Correctly identify Mozilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the moment Mozilla 1.x is displayed as Mozilla 5.0. Would it be possible to fix this?

(I know Mozillas user agent string contains 5.0, but it also contains the 1.x version number. This should in theory be possible to detect.)

naylor83 said:
At the moment Mozilla 1.x is displayed as Mozilla 5.0. Would it be possible to fix this?

(I know Mozillas user agent string contains 5.0, but it also contains the 1.x version number. This should in theory be possible to detect.)
I back up this. The correct version is shown in the user agent string after "rv:" like in
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8a4) Gecko/20040927 MultiZilla/1.6.0.0e
Also the Firefox should be identified.

Harri

chrisooc said:
Short of keeping the entire user agent string I doubt it can be sorted out that easily.
Well, considering they correctly identify K-Meleon, Camino, Firefox and you name it, it can't be that hard for them to tell when it's plain Mozilla Suite loading the page.

They could simply do something like this:

IF agent string contains Firefox -> report as Firefox
IF agent string contains Camino -> report as Camino
IF agent string contains K-Meleon -> report as K-Meleon
else check the rv: bit and report as Mozilla 1.whatever

Well, maybe they'll do it. It's rather labor-intensive keeping up with every variation and version of browsers and OS. My head's splitting just thinking of it LOL!

chrisooc said:
Well, maybe they'll do it. It's rather labor-intensive keeping up with every variation and version of browsers and OS. My head's splitting just thinking of it LOL!
I Agree! I just think they're so close to having the worlds first (?) PERFECT browser identification. Also, I wonder how they reson when they go to the trouble of providing perfect ID-ing of K-Meleon (which hardly anyone uses) but don't do so for Mozilla.

naylor83 said:
chrisooc said:
I Agree! I just think they're so close to having the worlds first (?) PERFECT browser identification. Also, I wonder how they reson when they go to the trouble of providing perfect ID-ing of K-Meleon (which hardly anyone uses) but don't do so for Mozilla.
Ah, but all you need for K-Meleon is to find that very distinguishing string of characters inside the user agent string. As long as there aren't any others with that same name anywhere in the string, it's easy. Mozilla however is present in a few user agents, including versinos of IE. How to figure it out definitively just from bits of identifiying words? And hwo to ensure that once you ahve it correct now, it won't become inconclusive in the future?

chrisooc said:
naylor83 said:
chrisooc said:
Ah, but all you need for K-Meleon is to find that very distinguishing string of characters inside the user agent string. As long as there aren't any others with that same name anywhere in the string, it's easy. Mozilla however is present in a few user agents, including versinos of IE. ...
True, but they have in fact already managed to figure out how to know when it's Mozilla Suite. All they need to do now is get the version number correct.

M

marshagrll

Maybe this is a hopeless addition but:

The program is able to add together all the versions of IE when giving you the stats on browsers.

Would it be possible to do the same for Mozilla browsers. Currently i've gotten Mozilla 5, Firefox, Firebird and suprising Phoenix (i'm surprised anyone is still using it although i always liked the name better).

They are all Mozilla in one way or another, anyway to group them (so i don't end up using a calculator? It would be nice...

Marshagrll :D

M

marshagrll

chrisooc said:
You seem to go exactly the opposite wasy from the person before you who wants a better breakdown in fact :lol:
Not as much as it seems...i left part of what i was thinking out.

When all the IE's are put together its for the % numbers and the pie was what i was thinking about. You still get a list at the bottom of exactly which IE version is getting used, but it also gives you a good idea of the type of browser. All of the Mozilla's are broken apart on the pie and %. I wouldn' t want to totally loose track of it its good to know the differences...didn't put that in though.

That would be what i would find useful and what i'm currently sometimes using the calculator on (not that its that hard to use a calculator for it)

Marshagrll :?

Status
Not open for further replies.