Counter Recording Very Few Visits Lately

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by CCrusader, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCrusader

CCrusader New Member

The counter on my website is not properly recording the number of pageload visits over the last few days. It is recording only a few while the projects counter is showing many more. What can I do to fix this? Thanks.

2. Car Guy

Car Guy Super Moderator

3. CCrusader

CCrusader New Member

I am not great at all the technical stuff, but I do not think that I have a problem that link addresses. I have not changed code on any of the pages since it was recording everything fine. I know it is not less people visiting because the project counter is showing the same numbers I have been consistently receiving lately. It is just the counter on my homepage isn't showing the same numbers as the project counter. It is barely moving. My URL is "]www.jesusalive.cc" if you have any more ideas. Thank You!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  4. Car Guy

Car Guy Super Moderator

Ok, I checked the code on your homepage and another, looks OK to me.

You should see my visit, IP ends with 106

Your counter on the homepage refreshes with my page refresh so it should be OK.

Sometimes the visitor numbers drop with no explanation.

The counter on your homepage is showing page loads, not visitors. If you are looking at "visitors" on your summary the numbers will be less than the counter shows.

5. CCrusader

CCrusader New Member

Counter

What I am trying to say I guess not so clearly is that if you look at the bottom of my homepage, it says 69194 pageloads, but if you look at my homepage when I log onto Statcounter, it says I have 69674 pageloads. The two numbers have always been the same, but for the last 3 days, the distance between the 2 numbers is growing farther and farther apart. I am sure the number on the Statcounter homepage is right, the number on my website homepage is wrong.

6. adastro

adastro New Member

Maybe same issue?

From today (or yesterday?) my stats page shows I have visitors and I see their paths but the total number of visitors remains the same (= does not update, though I clearly have had new visitors, accoring to the stats page)

Everything has worked just fine until now.

Please note this is only for one of my sites ('www.attskrivafilmmanus.se').

The statcounter on my other site is working updating the visitor total as it should ('www.adastramedia.se')

/fredrik

7. CCrusader

CCrusader New Member

Counter

Yes, sounds like the same issue. Let me know if you find anything out. Thanks.

8. Arne

Arne New Member

Message sent to support to look if there may be an issue with the partition adastro's site is on.

CCrusader, please report what your project number is for the counter code, or the url to your site so we can see if it is the same.

9. CCrusader

CCrusader New Member

Counter

My project # is: sc_project=3614241
    URL is 'www.jesusalive.cc'
    Thanks

10. webmaster

webmaster StatCounter CEO Staff Member

Hi CCrusader/adastro,

Thanks for reporting this problem.

You are right, the value you see in your StatCounter account is the correct one.

The counter on your website uses a cache to display the counter isntead of querying the database for each counter call request.

This cache is refreshed from the database every 24 hours in case it becomes out of sync. So every 24 hours, the counter will be restored to the correct value.

What's going wrong here is we're working on making the StatCounter system more resilient by being able to log data to multiple datacenters. However this causes caching problems for members who display both visible and invisible counters on their websites.

Basically the visible counters still contininue to increment the cache we store on each request, however the invisible counters no longer do.

To resolve this, you just need to remove the sc_invisible tags from your code and have a visible counter on each page. However we are going to come up with a better solution to this; perhaps by setting your code to sc_invisible=2 on pages where you still want the counter cache to be incremented but you don't want a counter actually displayed.

I just wanted to give you a quick update on this, but we'll update this post next week for further information about what to do.

Apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

11. CCrusader

CCrusader New Member

Counter

Thank you so much. I will be checking back to see the updates on this. I appreciate your taking the time to explain.

12. adastro

adastro New Member

Thank you Webmaster. I'll be back for the update

/adastro

13. adastro

adastro New Member

For me the problem was solved.

I just changed the statcounter setting to "visible" and then replaced the code only on the pages where I want the counter to be visible.

Old code pages are still invisible, and the visible ones seem to update as they should.

So for me, the case is closed :)

/adastro

14. CCrusader

CCrusader New Member

Counter

Has there been any resolution to this problem yet? I still have my various webpages with the counter in the invisible mode and they are still not recording stats. Can I keep them in invisible mode and have them record or am I going to have to make the counter visible on all the pages now? Thanks.

15. webmaster

Hi CCrusader,

We almost have this problem resolved. Sorry for the delay. We should have it finished by the end of this week. Apologies again for the extended delay.

Aodhan

16. CCrusader

CCrusader New Member

Counter

Ok, thank you. Was just checking up. I will continue to wait.

17. webmaster

Apologies for the delay in getting this resolved. As an interim measure we've increased our daily cache update to an hourly one, so you're counter is never going to be off by more than an hour. This is just a temporary measure as we continue to work to get this fully resolved.

18. CCrusader

CCrusader New Member

Counter

Has this issue been resolved yet?

19. webmaster

Hi CCrusader,

Apologies again for the delay on this.

How are you finding the new hourly cache updating? Is that keeping the counter mostly in sync for you?

We are still working on a better solution for this.

20. webmaster

Hi CCrusader,

We've managed to fix this now, so if your counter value does go out of sync with the database it will be re-synced within less than 5 minutes.

I don't think you'll be able to notice any problems with this set up.

Let me know if you have any questions or encounter any more problems with your counter going out of sync.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.