Determine how much time a visitor spent on a webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will get the anchor if somebody clicks a link that has an anchor provided the page reloads. It depends on the browser I think.

spent a page

The average page visit lasts a little less than a minute.

As users rush through Web pages, they have time to read only a quarter of the text on the pages they actually visit (let alone all those they don't). So, unless your writing is extraordinarily clear and focused, little of what you say on your website will get through to customers

What bit of "it can't be done" does anyone not understand?
This is wrong, it can be done.

Once the page has been loaded in the browser their is no more activity that happens that can indicate how long the visitor viewed that page. I could load one page of your site and then leave for the day, or I could just close it as soon as the page has loaded. The browser does not send information back to your site about closing or leaving your page.

The only way to determine visitor length of visit is by having 2 or more page loads.

More about this here: http://forum.statcounter.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38226
This isn't true. You can run a bit of Javascript on the page to track how long a user has a page open.

----

I've completed projects that track the amount of time users spent on different pages. Here's a blog with a simple way to track how long a visitor spends on a web page. OP's question specifically wants to know how long they spent on the last page they viewed. Using the data gathered in the blog post mentioned, you would be able to determine which page was the "last page" they viewed.

Hope this helps!

This is wrong, it can be done.

This isn't true. You can run a bit of Javascript on the page to track how long a user has a page open.

----

I've completed projects that track the amount of time users spent on different pages. Here's a blog with a simple way to track how long a visitor spends on a web page. OP's question specifically wants to know how long they spent on the last page they viewed. Using the data gathered in the blog post mentioned, you would be able to determine which page was the "last page" they viewed.

Hope this helps!
Yes, you can use some javascript for that, but the website itself has to do it, not Statcounter. Keep in mind that using too much javascript on a page makes it much slower plus some people disable javascript altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.