"display inline" possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pok

On my website your counter always creates a new paragraph or block-element. I would prefer to display it inline? Is this possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pok

I just discovered: it does in IE, but not in Firefox browsers... At least on my page.
Any solution/ suggestion?

Are you reserving the right amount of space for it?

Anyway, I can't see what it does since you have it invisible.

BTW, very nice site :D

P

Pok

Thanks...

The coumter is above the "impressum"
You should be able to see it in (or below) the paragraph ending with "Nr."

I was looking at the code - it is set to invisible on the home page ..... unless you have some other pages where it is set to visible.

--- update --

Ok, saw it .... very discrete LOL!

P

Pok

sure youare looking at the right page?
ive 3 sites with your counter...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, it will be because you don't have the space for it on the same line so it has to skip to the next line to accomodate it. Between Firefox and IE there are differences related to how padding is handled which may make a difference to the actual width of a line.

P

Pok

thanks for bothering. however, i cannot really follow this explanation... seems I have to look for another desighn solution.... :(

Like I said, the space required to display the counter image is bigger than the amount of space you have available at the end of your line.

Just as a test shorten the text before the counter and see how it fits. Or reduce the font size of the digits to make the image a bit smaller.

The current image needs a space of 52 x 16 pixels. You don't have that space at the end of your line after all the text, so the line folds.

P

Pok

I shortened the text before the counter and now it works inline. Thx chrisooc :D.

However, it still seems to me that the counter requires too much space. How is it calculated? in pixels? How many?

Pok said:
I shortened the text before the counter and now it works inline. Thx chrisooc :D.

However, it still seems to me that the counter requires too much space. How is it calculated? in pixels? How many?
It depends on the number of digits you slected to show for it and the size you picked. Beyond that I don't know any quick way of figuring it out. Best to always test it the way I did - right-click on the counter image when it's displayed and Save target as and then check the size in any image editor program.

Maybe on the Configure Counter page you can do this with the counter that is being displayed there, before you actually insert it into your page.

P

Pok

Hi Christina, thx again for your patience. The whole thing is still mysterious to me, considering that the image has no more than 52 px. However, that#s the way it is -- just another little riddle in the world of webdesign... I wont bother you with this any more... promise.

Pok said:
Hi Christina, thx again for your patience. The whole thing is still mysterious to me, considering that the image has no more than 52 px. However, that#s the way it is -- just another little riddle in the world of webdesign... I wont bother you with this any more... promise.
Don't forget how browsers render pages, how they interpret css and all that. You will have to look at the environment. If you have padding defined somewhere in your style sheet, it will use up space. Have you tried inserting any image whatsoever of exactly that same size in place of the counter image? The same thing would happen, I am sure.

P

Pok

since you mentioned it again I have to answer: I tried what you proposed: a normal picture of that size works perfectly inline even within an <a>-tag. I found a workaround by way of CSS for the counterimage, though...

Pok said:
since you mentioned it again I have to answer: I tried what you proposed: a normal picture of that size works perfectly inline even within an <a>-tag. I found a workaround by way of CSS for the counterimage, though...
LOL, ok, that's good. I'm not going to go on speculating why one worked and another one didn't. Suffice to say I've spent countless hours chasing down the odd pixel sneaking up on me from css definitions that at first (and second) glance seemed not to apply to something. In my case it would have helped if I were more conversant with css. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.