Download Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZPF

We have music on our site available as downloads (free), logged by StatCounter (which by the way is great!)

Is there a way of logging the tracks that get downloaded? I thought of creating a page per track, but that would only log that the page was visited, not specifically that the track was then downloaded... Any ideas? :idea:

One easy way is to have the page for the file to download, where you place the Statcounter code, and then you quickly redirect to the actual file that is to be downloaded. You can use a meta refresh to redirect.

This all can get rather heavy and error prone if you have lots of media files to offer for download. You may want to make this dynamic instead.

Z

ZPF

Sorry to be a thickie, but I don't really understand what you said....

I have the StatCounter on the MUSIC page, but there are a few tracks (with more to be added) to that page - and not one specific one.... so how can I set up a redirect (even if I knew what you meant) to one specific file?

??? :cry:

ZPF said:
Sorry to be a thickie, but I don't really understand what you said....

I have the StatCounter on the MUSIC page, but there are a few tracks (with more to be added) to that page - and not one specific one.... so how can I set up a redirect (even if I knew what you meant) to one specific file?

??? :cry:
You said yourself that you can set up a different page for each media file's download. This is what I'm referring to.

Say on your main page you have listings of tracks:
**** corrected display here***)
Track1
Track2
Track3

Instead of having the url of the track, like track1.mp3, in the hyperlink you have the url of an html page specific tor the track, say track1.html.
Track1.html will only have the statcounter on it in the body. In the head section it will have a meta refresh that redirects to track1.mp3:

**** corrected display here***)
Code:
<html>
<head>
<titlle>download page for track1.mp3</title>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0; URL=track1.mp3">
</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>

Z

ZPF

Ahh I see what you mean.

And thanks for the html codes - I wouldn't have known how to set it up.... :oops: I'll give that a go! :)

I suppose there's still no knowing if they actually go through with the download or just close the page - apart from seeing if they stayed on there for a few minutes... as a rough guide... but it would be a better guide than just the music page being tracked... at least they made a conscious decision to download a track - even if they changed their mind!

Thanks again - will let ya know if I succeed in setting it up - and if it seems to work.
:D

When you redirect to the media file name itself, it should start either downloading it or playing it in the user's default player. Of course they can kill it at any time.

That html page doesn't stay on the screen at all, as it gets redirected in a split second to the media file.

Z

ZPF

Ahh ok... Well I'll have a go.... Perhaps when I've set it up - we could synchronise watches and you could give it a try??

:)

Z

ZPF

Ok. I need a bit of time.... Meanwhile - so you know... it's rock... but not the shouty type! 8)

It's a contemporary sound - meets Zep influence, and you can, if you wish, check them out at: www.zeropointfieldmusic.com

I'll post on here again when I've set up the pages...

Z

ZPF

I set up a temporary page:
www.zeropointfieldmusic.com/Music2.html

with a link to the url set up with the codes you gave me....
here's what I put:

Code:
<title>Fahrenheit Download</title> 
<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0; <a href="/Live%20Session%20Web%20Mp3s/01-Fahrenheit%20451%20Live%20Session%20Web%20Edit%20MP3.mp3"> 

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
var sc_project=310700; 
var sc_partition=1; 
var sc_invisible=1; 
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="http://www.statcounter.com/counter/counter.js"></script>
<noscript> </noscript>  

&</p></body> 
</html>

but when you click on the download icon... the other page opens but just continuously clicks and I don't think anything else happens????

????????  :?:

What SHOULD be on the page you made is the following:

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>Fahrenheit Download</title> 

<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0; URL= Live%20Session%20Web%20Mp3s/01-Fahrenheit%20451%20Live%20Session%20Web%20Edit%20MP3.mp3"> 

</head>

<body>

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
var sc_project=310700; 
var sc_partition=1; 
var sc_invisible=1; 
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="http://www.statcounter.com/counter/counter.js"></script>
<noscript> </noscript>  

</body> 
</html>
What you put is not what I gave before at all. Unfortunately you copied by mistake the [ code ] bbcode tag which was visible because I used probably for got to close it in my post . bbCode in square brackets is only for the forum posts, it's not html code.

Then when you changed the URL you used the wrong syntax. All you needed to do was substitute the file name of your mp3 file in place of track1.mp3 that I used.

On your page called Music2.html - at the place where you have the link to the new downlod page for that song, replace that link with this:

Code:
<a href="FahrenheitDownload.html" target="_blank" onMouseOut="MM_swapImgRestore()" onMouseOver="MM_swapImage('Image131','','Images/Reddown.gif',1)">
The difference is target="_blank" which will open the link in a new window which may be closed after that by the user. Otherwise they'll have a hard time getting back to the Music2.html page, they'll be trapped in a meta refresh history hell :lol:

You have to realize that this method wil result in the track being played directly, since no amount of right clicking will allow an actual download of anything except of the html file. They can use the player's functions to save it if they want to and if that's what you want.

Z

ZPF

Thanks for your time on this......

I'm afraid I can't pretend to understand your explanation - but I have copied and pasted the info on the Music2 page and replaced the download page as you say - but it still doesn't seem to work???
:cry:

LOL! It's going from bad to worse, isn't it?

You have this appearing in your source code:
<a href="%3Ca%20href=%22FahrenheitDownload.html%22%20target=%22_blank%22%20onMouseOut=%22MM_swapImgRestore()%22%20onMouseOver=%22MM_swapImage(%27Image131%27,%27%27,%27Images/Reddown.gif%27,1)%22%3E" onMouseOut="MM_swapImgRestore()" onMouseOver="MM_swapImage('Image131','','Images/Reddown.gif',1)">
First of all use Notepad, not any other editor as it introduces all sorts of bad things.

Replace that by
<a href="FahrenheitDownload.html" target="_blank" onMouseOut="MM_swapImgRestore()" onMouseOver="MM_swapImage('Image131','','Images/Reddown.gif',1)">

Z

ZPF

I'm doing all this in Dreamweaver - and only know how to edit on the HTML source page....

I pasted your text on the 'link'... there's still a swap image over the little red icon - when you mouse over - I'd like to keep that....... (that was done as a behaviour) but when you want something to happen on a click, as a link to - I just type the html in the link thingy in Properties ... and that's where I pasted your link text??

Again - sorry to be thick - but I am busking my way around doing this website... and use Dreamweaver cos I don't need to understand the complexities of html... and frankly don't have the brain capacity for it!

So if I want to a) have an image change on mouse over on the icon, then b) click to the download page to begin downloading a specific track - in this case, "Fahrenheit" (and in the Music2 page... it is just the Fahrenheit track that I have changed here....) what do I do????
:cry: :cry: :cry:

ZPF said:
I'm doing all this in Dreamweaver - and only know how to edit on the HTML source page....

I pasted your text on the 'link'... there's still a swap image over the little red icon - when you mouse over - I'd like to keep that....... (that was done as a behaviour) but when you want something to happen on a click, as a link to - I just type the html in the link thingy in Properties ... and that's where I pasted your link text??

Again - sorry to be thick - but I am busking my way around doing this website... and use Dreamweaver cos I don't need to understand the complexities of html... and frankly don't have the brain capacity for it!

So if I want to a) have an image change on mouse over on the icon, then b) click to the download page to begin downloading a specific track - in this case, "Fahrenheit" (and in the Music2 page... it is just the Fahrenheit track that I have changed here....) what do I do????
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Well, ok, but with Dreamweaver you MUST work in code view mode, or else you will mess up.

What I gave you there is exactly what you had before it got messed up, including mouseover and all that - the only difference was that instead of linking to an mp3 file you link to an html file.

If you work in Notepad you will see the spot where you have to change things, as you will in Dreamweaver code view.

Status
Not open for further replies.