Downloads and plays. Where are my public stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't used this site in a while, but I thought I remember being able to track downloads. Is there any way to do this easily? I also want to know how to track people who just play or stream or display my files. It seems like a common question that should addressed broadly in an FAQ or very prominently in the forum.

I also remember only having to install the statcounter code on the index page, meaning it would track all pages beneath it. Has this changed?

I also checked a box to make my stats public, but there is no obvious URL displayed for me to click on or link on my website. Where are the public stats posted?

thanks,

Brandon

I think you are mixing this up with another product.

Statcounter ONLY tracks access to web pages. Not to any other kinds of files. The condition is that whatever acts as a web pages must be able to have the tracking code added to it, either the full code (that incldue javascript) or at least the html code (which interacts with Statcounter system through an img tag). No other ways.

Statcounter has always needed to be installed on every page that you want tracked. (Incidentally so would all other tracking scripts unless they are based on your own servers's logs, like Webalizer or Awstats.)

The only way to track downloads of files or clicks to pages or files that don't have Statcounter code on them is through a redirector page. See sticky at the top of the Help forum for 2 methods you may be able to use.

Media pseudo-streamed throught asx meta files (thus that can be played in Windows Media Player) can be tracked if you make use of a little known feature available in an asx meta file. This too is in a sticky at the top of the Help forum.

If you have enabled piblic stats you must copy the link given to you there, at the place where you selected to enable them. You then paste this link wherever you want visitros to click it. It doesn't just apppear out of the blue on your website. Nothing does ;)

Last edited:
hey

Let me start off by saying I'm a Computer Science major and I'm on my senior year. I've developed a dozen websites, worked on sites that use a 3 tiered database driven architecture, and have programmed in a handful of languages. Please do not confuse me with someone who doesn't know anything about the web or how it works (front end and back end). As a general rule, I would think that it would be rude to address anyone in this forum in a manner that made them feel that they were asking a stupid question, regardless of how stupid you think the question is.

I'm not confusing StatCounter with another product. I used Statcounter once for my homepage a few years ago, and now I'm considering using it again for a new site, although I'm looking to learn ways to track stats myself better than StatCounter does. I know there is a way to track downloads and streams because I've seen it done on other pages. I hadn't heard of Webalizer or Awstats before, but thank you for the suggestion.

"If you have enabled piblic stats you must copy the link given to you there, at the place where you selected to enable them. You then paste this link wherever you want visitros to click it. It doesn't just apppear out of the blue on your website. Nothing does"

This is the comment that got me a little pissed off, and it also happens to be the least grammatically correct. I'm going to login and hunt around for the public stats URL that I'm looking for. Your comment does not help point me in the right direction, but thank you for your other suggestions which were helpful.

If.................errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........................you are so knowledgeable, then why ask us?

Ah and what remark made you so "pissed off"? Should you have quoted that remark?

I'm a mild mannered folk, but your approach does indeed rile my, hmmmmm, what is the word I'm looking for.........ilk, ire, hackcles, I'm illiterate and can't recall the correct phrase.

Quick another Mod, moderate me.......................

oh and please over look my poor grammer and spelling. :grin:

I also checked a box to make my stats public, but there is no obvious URL displayed for me to click on or link on my website. Where are the public stats posted?

chrisooc said:
If you have enabled piblic stats you must copy the link given to you there, at the place where you selected to enable them. You then paste this link wherever you want visitros to click it. It doesn't just apppear out of the blue on your website. Nothing does
Question asked and answered.

Impossible to know the level of expertise of any forum member, especially a new member and also, you will find the biggest group of really nice people here, who will help you "if they can", with any problem you have.

Car Guy

Super Moderator
Maybe what you are looking for is found here,

click the "padlock" next to the project,
check "enable public stats",
copy & paste the URL supplied.

Did I guess right??

I also remember only having to install the statcounter code on the index page, meaning it would track all pages beneath it. Has this changed?
ChangeThief said:
I'm not confusing StatCounter with another product.
You can't have it both ways, ChangeThief. If you are sure that you had to install the code on only the index page and it would track all pages beneath it, you are indeed confusing StatCounter with another product. If you're sure you used StatCounter before, then you are in error about about how it was applied to your site in order to track pages.

Let me start off by saying I'm a Computer Science major and I'm on my senior year. I've developed a dozen websites, worked on sites that use a 3 tiered database driven architecture, and have programmed in a handful of languages. Please do not confuse me with someone who doesn't know anything about the web or how it works (front end and back end). As a general rule, I would think that it would be rude to address anyone in this forum in a manner that made them feel that they were asking a stupid question, regardless of how stupid you think the question is.

I'm not confusing StatCounter with another product. I used Statcounter once for my homepage a few years ago, and now I'm considering using it again for a new site, although I'm looking to learn ways to track stats myself better than StatCounter does. I know there is a way to track downloads and streams because I've seen it done on other pages. I hadn't heard of Webalizer or Awstats before, but thank you for the suggestion.

"If you have enabled piblic stats you must copy the link given to you there, at the place where you selected to enable them. You then paste this link wherever you want visitros to click it. It doesn't just apppear out of the blue on your website. Nothing does"

This is the comment that got me a little pissed off, and it also happens to be the least grammatically correct. I'm going to login and hunt around for the public stats URL that I'm looking for. Your comment does not help point me in the right direction, but thank you for your other suggestions which were helpful.

You most certainly are confusing Statcounter with something else if you remember it tracking downloads. It doesn't, never has. Not by itself. If furthermore you remember it needing to be installed only on one page, yet able to track all pages of a site, you are even more confused.

And the term "pissed off" is of course grammatically correct, kudos for that show of class.

Just for your information, typos are not the same as spelling errors and neither are grammatical errors. They's just them dyslexic fingers. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.