DVD Burning - advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have been playing at editing my home movies using my PC but now wish to progress to putting them on DVD to play back through my DVD Player. A brief browse of a couple of stores shows me that DVD Rewriters are now available at prices ranging from £60-£100, which is amazing considering how much they were last time I looked. My question is, are these babies up to the job or do I need a more serious bit of kit?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks
John

wait I'm confused...
this is statcounter..
and you're the mod

and no answered you...
and it's an old thread
and it's an easy question.....

this had to be a test post or something

(yeh dude it's fine, check cnet and try to go online to shop, buy American if your taxes won't kill you)

blackdiamond13 @ ****snip****

Last edited by a moderator:
It just goes to show the weight people put on getting a link from here.

Personnaly I think it's a bit of a double edged sword as I think it's a bit embrassing to have statcounter listed above my sites if someone is searching but I gues any publicity is good publicity.

Did you get your burner John?

LOL .... YAY, an answer ... there has to be a moral here somewhere. :lol:

No, would you believe I never did. I did buy one but it was so long ago the name escapes me. I had all sorts of problems with it .... error messages saying 'device not found' and format issues I couldn't resolve. I drew a blank with their online support and finally returned it to the store for a full refund. I decided to wait until I bought a new PC and just make sure that it had DVD burning capability. I guess they all do by now, but I'm still rolling along with the same box as I had back then and so I'm still burnerless. :roll:

I will be shopping around for a new machine very soon .... this summer ... and possibly a laptop. We'll see.

OLD thread BUT

, but I'm still rolling along with the same box as I had back then and so I'm still burnerless. :roll:

I will be shopping around for a new machine very soon .... this summer ... and possibly a laptop. We'll see.
John No DVD burning , ye gods !!:roll:

Even joan of arc had burning sorted :mrgreen:

If ya need advice on this kind of gear giv us a nudge on PM , and we'l sort ya out !!

Rich

I got dvd burners coming out my ears.... one on each pc and laptop we have (and we do have a fair number of them) and yet no decent dvd burning software to go with them. Nothing that can encode a video and burn it to a video dvd so I can play it in my dvd player attached to my tv.

I can't get Nero to make a video dvd the same way it makes a video cd.

My old Nero doesn't work in Vista. Not going to buy it yet again. What comes with Vista is a piece of crap both for audio cds and video dvds - basically useless.

I got dvd burners coming out my ears.... one on each pc and laptop we have (and we do have a fair number of them) and yet no decent dvd burning software to go with them. Nothing that can encode a video and burn it to a video dvd so I can play it in my dvd player attached to my tv.

I can't get Nero to make a video dvd the same way it makes a video cd.

My old Nero doesn't work in Vista. Not going to buy it yet again. What comes with Vista is a piece of crap both for audio cds and video dvds - basically useless.
About three years ago I had to regularly suffer lectures from our works expert on DVD's. I sold blank DVD's and he ran a part time business doing wedding videos. He had done more research on blank DVD's than any man alive. You just told him which make and model of DVD Player was attached to your Tv and he could tell you which blank DVD's would work with it and which would not.

It's all down to the dye on the DVD's. The regulations (guidelines) state it must be an exact colour. If the DVD player software is written to follow the guidelines to the letter then it will not play a DVD with a "non standard" dye.

Most blank DVD's do not comply to the guidelines, and the software in some DVD players, especially the cheaper one, does not stick to the guidelines.

All you need to do is find the DVD's with the right dye number for your DVD player and you will be fine.

He was boring, you had to listen to a load of regulations and and DVD facts, but he was right.

He advised me to only use DVD's with G05 dye, and only Ritek discs if I wanted to play them in my DVD player. It is (was) the only disc that complied with the guidelines and was guaranteed to work with any DVD player. I used to buy them in bulk and sell them on ebay at the time, some kept a couple of hundred for myself. They never let me down.

What you need to do is buy from a seller that gives you the dye number of the discs. It should be something like "ADVD: G05" or ADVD: RITEKG05", although he did say "ADVD: RITEKF1" would become the standard.

If I were you I would buy a variety pack, a selection of DVD's with different dye numbers. Try them all and find which is best for your DVD player then only buy DVD's with that dye number.

Jees, I don't believe I remembered all that for three years!!!!!

No, I'm not talking about the quality of the dvd, I'm purely saying the software I have simply does not create the files needed to make a video dvd that can be played. I can make a video cd and can play it my dvd player attached to my tv. I cannot make any video dvd because it does not make the compilation and encoding at all. All my dvd burning software is only able to make data dvd's. This is a step before you even put in the disk.

It all comes down to me needing to buy a special dvd authoring program and I am not in agreement with that LOL If I can author a video cd with Nero, why can't I do the same for a video dvd using the same blasted progam (nero) that already can burn me a data dvd?

Total Video2DVD Author

Hi,
why not try Total Video2DVD Author.

As well as burning a DVD for you, it converts your video files for you, creates DVD menus, adds subtitles, erases the Re-Writable DVD if you want to use it again.

Its really simple to use, the program as an Easy Mode and Advanced Mode.
It does all the work for you, no complications.

Here's one of the links you can download it from.
It comes with a 15 day fully functional free trial.

www.brothersoft.com/total-video2dvd-author-59291.html

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Chris, what Nero did you have? 6, 7 and 8 all work on Vista Home Premium, for me.

Did you buy a full Vista? My PC is an HP and came with Roxio, which is actually nicely functional.

There are some great DVD-creation tools out there, and one great way to get the best stuff cheap is to shop for a new burner. Usually an OEM software package comes with, and often it's Nero, Sonic or Roxio. All good.

Otherwise, pony up for TNPGEnc DVD Author 3. Excellent stuff, which I use often, when clients want multiple DVDs rewritten.

Its' Nero 6.3.1.7 .

My Vista is Home Basic.
Nero 6 installed in Vista but when you wanted to run it took me to their website to download a new version which I'd have had to buy.

So I have to keep my XP.

I have Somnic My DVD on the XP machine, but it's crap - is so blasted slow and cannot make a dvd image to burn later oever and over. You decide up front how many cpies you want otherwise it takes forever and a day to reencode the dvd again.

Nero 6 has never made a video DVD - it can only burn data dvds.

It can make nice video cd's.

When I have some time I will invetigate other options. Rigth nwo I'm swamped and in no mood to even try video.

I need to burn audio cd's now and then and I much prefer Nero to the Roxio crap that came with my Vista.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.