Google email Phising or legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you know, Our wildblue has teamed with Google gmail for our email accounts. I've got two setup there that I use every single day. I use Outlook Express and don't go to the webmail hardly ever.

Yesterday I did however log in to the gmail webmail and found this email in the Spam folder.

The odd thing is #1 it was in my google webmail in the spam folder, #2 It's from Google(?) concerning a google gmail account that is used daily. #3 Wildblue decided to go this route with google not I so why now is google (?) sending emails like this?

Below is the text from the email:

Dear Account User,
This Email is from Gmail Team and we are sending it to every Gmail User Accounts Owner for safety. we are having congestions due to the anonymous registration of yahoo accounts so we are shutting down some Gmail accounts and your account was among those to be deleted.We are sending you this email to so that you can verify and let us know if you still want to use this account.If you are still interested please confirm your account by filling the space below.Your User name,password,date of bith and your country information would be needed to verify your account.

Due to the congestion in all Gmail users and removal of all unused Gmail Accounts, Gmail would be shutting down all unused Accounts, You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

* Username/Email ID: ........

* Password: .........................

*Verify Password:....................

*Alternate Email ID:.....................

* Date of Birth: ................................

* Country Or Territory: ..........................

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his/her account after two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

Thanks for using Gmail
GmailTeam

I looked in my gmail account stuff and can't find a place to contact them asking if this is legit. What do you think?

And no I did not respond

It looks like a phishing email. There has been a rash of them lately targeted at Paypal. With Paypal you can redirect the email to spoof@paypal.com. Does Google have a similar policy? It is not legit they are trawling for information.

Too many typo's, poor punctuation and over zealous repetition of the warnings, to be anything other than phishing. Stands out a mile. :wink:

No legitimate company would put a form in the email to update that information. Most won't even put in a link to your online account. They will advise you to go to your account to update your information. If you get an email from an online account that does have a link in it you shouldn't click on that link even if you think it is legit. Always go to the site by typing the url in the address bar of your browser.

On another note, if you have had your browser open for awhile you should close and reopen it before accessing any online account that is important - like your online banking account.

Thanks all! I had not notice the typo's I was just suspicious, lol. I could not believe they would ask one to type and replace that info directly in an email then send it.

That alone was enough to make me leery. I didn't do it.

I k now that your not suppose to respond to these e-mails, at all. But, every now and then I get fed up and send a reply. Usually along the lines of "how stupid do you think I am" (and then hope they don't answer :lol:).

Richard what is that site pastebin? Looks at first glance like a site where creeps, spammers, crooks and low life goes to share their nafarious low down cess pool scum to other bottom feeders to feast upon.

Is that it?

Reporting spam

The mail headers should reveal whether or not it's actually from Google. I agree it can't be with this content, but the mail headers can prove it. Surely Gmail has a way to show all headers?

BTW, if you want to report it, you can find a load of categorized spam reporting addresses on my Ban Spam site at http://banspam.javawoman.com/ - spoofing/phishing here: http://banspam.javawoman.com/report3/scam3.html . I don't have an address for Google, but the Anti-Phishing Working Group will always want to hear about it. You always need full headers for reporting any kind of spam! (Each page on my site has a link to a comprehensive overview how to do that in a load of different email clients.)

Status
Not open for further replies.