Gun use in the USA (Is it scary every day?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask people who live in the USA if the fact that people can go around drunk and freely own a gun scares them every day?
I live in the UK and cannot imagine a saturday night in some town centre at chucking out time and everyone is carrying a handgun.
Mayhem!!!
Can people there tell me how scary it is as I intend to visit for the first time soon.
Also, two other questions.
Is it true you in your hire car can accidentally drive into a ghetto area and be shot?
Are you afraid whilst flying due to bombs?
I know this may make me look very nervous but I am used to been safe and free and worry about things when people have guns and it is so easy to get lost when travelling in a hire car.
What do others have to say?
Am I over worrying?
Remember that I want to roam and not on a guided tour.
Alf

Can I ask people who live in the USA if the fact that people can go around drunk and freely own a gun scares them every day?
I live in the UK and cannot imagine a saturday night in some town centre at chucking out time and everyone is carrying a handgun. Can people there tell me how scary it is as I intend to visit for the first time soon.
Well, from how you wrote the question, it is not quite true, in that, Americans just roam the streets drunk, packing a gun. At least in this state if not nationwide, it is against the law to carry a gun under a disability, ie drunk. Legal gun owners here must have a permit to carry/conceal a gun. Under many circumstances it is against the law to take a gun in several public places. Of course that is for the majority of good citizens who follow the law.
For the small percentage of the criminals that could create a problem, chances are small that I'll ever run into any problems so I'm not afraid at all to run around town. I may take pause to just go hang out in an area of our town called the "bottoms" as the drug trade is more centralized there. But keep in mind I live in a fairly small town.

Also, two other questions.
Is it true you in your hire car can accidentally drive into a ghetto area and be shot?
Are you afraid whilst flying due to bombs?
I know this may make me look very nervous but I am used to been safe and free and worry about things when people have guns and it is so easy to get lost when travelling in a hire car.
What do others have to say?
Am I over worrying?
Remember that I want to roam and not on a guided tour.
Alf
Now, if I where in a larger Metro area, D.C., Detroit, Cleveland, the turf is not as familiar to me there and it can happen for one to stray into a less than desirable area and get into some trouble, but I'm sure I could do that just as easily in London across the pond. I lived in downtown Nashville TN for a few months on a job assignment and was mugged there, but was still not overly afraid to stay there.
It is all a common sense approach to watch your surroundings, locked car doors, don't leave items in your car overnight that might invite a criminal, etc. I think you may be over-worrying a tiny bit. The odds of you, me, or anyone else being at any specific place at any specific time for a unhappy event are millions to one.
Come on over and have a good time, and if your by my way we could have some lunch at a Rotary meeting.

Last edited:

Car Guy

Super Moderator
In Canada gun laws are much more restrictive.

Of course we all know criminals don't obey the laws, but it does reduce the number of guns available at any given time.

In Canada to get a gun you need a criminal check, and this can take a week. So unlike the in U.S. (correct me if I'm wrong) you just can't stroll into Walmart or any gun shop and walk out with a gun! So people with a history of instability or criminal activity cannot legally buy any firearm.

In Canada, not just anybody can carry a gun. You need a permit to carry or transport a gun and not just anybody gets that permit, you need to be in law enforcement. If you are a sport shooter you can get a permit that allows you to transport your gun to and from a specific shooting range, you just can't drive around with a gun in your car.

Also unless you are in law enforcement, when you transport the gun it must be in a locked container unloaded and the ammunition must be kept in another location.

All firearms when stored must be kept unloaded in a locked storage cabinet away from the ammo.

I read an article years ago, and I do not know the accuracy of it, but it claimed that at any time on the LA freeway in rush hour, 1 in 5 cars around you has a loaded gun within reach of the driver!

Don't get me wrong, I do not dislike firearms, I did have a hand gun that I used only for target practice.

My concern is that it is way too easy for unstable people to get a hold of a gun in a fit of road rage or a domestic dispute. Also why do people need to own assault rifle's?

A recent news article in my country. A U.S. police officer visiting Canada is not allowed to bring his off duty service revolver into Canada with him. He is visiting a city that is currently hosting a very large country fair and he and his wife are walking through a park in daylight near by and 2 guys asked him if he had been to the fair, he didn't reply. They again asked him and he briskly walked away. He wrote to the editor of a local paper telling them how he felt unsafe at that time and wished he had his gun with him.

Are we at a point where we feel threatened by casual conversation with a stranger?

Last edited:
That is incredibly really interesting stuff you both have written and I will mull over it during the weekend.

The thing that stays in my mind is a television program a few years back showing ghetto life in chicago and gangs had the type of guns that you just can't get to grips with. REAL ghettos and it frightened me and I am a big strong man but a gun is a gun you know and these were multi machine gun types.
I cannot imagine for example a soccer match in the bars after all carrying guns it would be sure to kick off in some local derby's!

It just amazes me that there are not more saturday night shootings, or maybe there are and I just don't here about them in the UK on BBC news.
The stuff you two guys have written is really so interesting and the great thing about the internet is linking us up like this.
Great stuff.
I hope others also add their two cents worth from Canada and the USA.
Alf

My depreciated 2 cents...

Me? I've never in all my life owned or even fired a weapon.

I do believe in and support our U.S. constitutional right to own protection against invaders, tyrants, and the like.

No law against gun ownership will stop criminals (law breakers) or crazy people no matter where you go, I think.

Stop producing guns? Evil crazy people can get around that. Then where will that leave the rest of us? Caught with our shorts down? LOL :grin:

Now I don't know if you've been following U.S. politicking... have you? The Left always politicizes these mass victim shooting events, jumping "the gun" (no pun) to blame these on someone on the Right, saying they're probably Tea Party members, etc. using these events to try to attack 2nd Amendment Rights.

After all the investigations and discovery it always turns out not the case. Look how little gets reported regarding this last looney (Left) who tried to shoot up The Family Research Center in Washington D.C. where they have the highest crime and murder rates with some of the toughest gun laws in this country...

Last edited:
I was born in the state of Oklahoma. I now live in Texas. I have been to Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and other states. Does that make me an authority? No. :)

Always remember that even thought the person next to you might have a weapon, that person has no idea if you have a weapon or not. Also, the Police (Bobbies?) in the USA carry guns. If I am in a bar, the last thing I want is to be shot by the police because I pulled a gun on someone. Also, most bars have security of some kind.

As I understand it, the Pubs in England offer food and drink. They are more of a family place where the children are allowed with their parents? We have that in some food establishments as well, but the places that we call "Bars" are usually places to simply drink. Under the age of 18 or 21 are not allowed, depending on the State you are in.

It is a whole different country in the USA and will seem strange to you I am sure. As for me, I don't worry about being shot in a bar or other places. Yes, it could happen, but not likely.

Looking at the other side, it struck me as strange that the police (Bobbies) in England don't carry guns. Is that true?

I have weapons/guns. In the states you do have to go through a criminal background check to purchase them. I don't think you can just walk in anywhere unless you buy them illegally, and walk out with a weapon. I heard someone say the other day that Walmart is really cutting down on their gun sales. Rifles etc are or were easier to buy then hand guns. In Texas I can carry a hand gun or rifle in my car if I want to. I don't need a concealed permit to do so, I just can't carry it in a pocket or hidden on me. My son is a Federal Police officer on Fort Hood, here in Texas. You know the place that the shooting happened and 13 people were killed. Shoot if others had had weapons on them, the killer might have been taken care of way before he murdered 13 people and an unborn baby.

There are always crazies out there and they don't always use a fire arm to do injury to others. Just my two cents.

I've heard of other people from Europe worrying about the gun stuff and I'm from Canada and I don't see any reason to worry. US most certainly has more people getting shot and stuff than say, Canada, but, there's still not really a reason to be paranoid of getting shot. People have guns down there for defense so obviously don't threaten a person. Don't trespass and avoid walking around at night.

Also, don't worry about bombs on airplanes. Security these days stops that stuff.

Thanks you have reduced my worries a lot.
The bobbies in the UK don't carry guns and if anyone is seen with a gun the armed police who must sit around month after month arrive fast and often shoot to kill.
If you heard about the riots last summer it began by the police shooting a young black gang member who was showing off his gun.
It is so rare here because the police call immediately the armed police to shoot anyone with a gun even if they don't fire at anyone at all just simply having it on them.

I found this following pretty funny, including the image. If you wish the source, I can pm it to you... I censored it a tad at the end.

--------------------------------------------------------------

One evening a state trooper pulled a pickup truck over for a “weapons check” because of the NRA bumper sticker proudly displayed on the back bumper and two rifles on the rear window gun rack.

When the officer approached the vehicle he was surprised to see an older lady in her late 70s at the driver’s wheel. The officer was even more surprised when she handed the officer her driver’s license, insurance card and concealed carry permit. The officer took the documents, looked them over and said, "Ma’am, I see you have a CCP. Do you have any weapons with you other than what I see in on the rack?" To which she replied "Oh yes sir, I sure do. I have a snub nosed 357 in my purse, a Glock 9 in the glove box and a .22 derringer in my bra." The officer looked at her, stunned and asked "Anything else?" "Certainly!” she replied; “I also have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge under my seat and an AR-15 in the lockbox in the back of the truck." The officer gulped and asked her if she was on her way to a shooting range or a gun show but she just shook her head slowly. The officer then bent down and leaned into the woman’s window and asked her “well then Ma’am, would you mind telling me what your so damned afraid of?” She looked him right in the eyes, smiled a little and calmly responded: “Officer, I’m not afraid of a XXXXXXXX thing!

Attachments

Over a Billion rounds of Hollow Point Ammo purchased this year by The U.S. Gov't

What's coming soon? From what I hear, hollow points are not even used by U.S. military in war. They are preparing for something against citizens here, you think? :roll:

I found this following pretty funny, including the image. If you wish the source, I can pm it to you... I censored it a tad at the end.

--------------------------------------------------------------
That is funny.
But if people feel safe because they also have a gun then what happens when there is a dispute and no witnesses and therefore a long drawn out court case when you the victim of a crook has to prove you acted in self defence?
It could lead to many people having to prove their innocence to a court when they are robbed with no witnesses couldn't it?
Also, you could claim you were provoked when you are just trigger happy.
Just how it seems with that theory doesn't it?

What's coming soon? From what I hear, hollow points are not even used by U.S. military in war. They are preparing for something against citizens here, you think? :roll:
Hard to tell... Guess that even the Social Security Administration has jumped on the bandwagon with purchases of their own. I haven't seen this on the t.v. yet, but the search engines have it. No one is to use these in any war, so the intent of the Homeland Defense or SSA is yet to be seen. To many parallels to history and hard to sort out.

That is funny.
But if people feel safe because they also have a gun then what happens when there is a dispute and no witnesses and therefore a long drawn out court case when you the victim of a crook has to prove you acted in self defence?
It could lead to many people having to prove their innocence to a court when they are robbed with no witnesses couldn't it?
Also, you could claim you were provoked when you are just trigger happy.
Just how it seems with that theory doesn't it?
I think overall that the courts do a good job, though not perfect. They'll look at the history of the party's involved in these cases. It could be a very drawn out episode though. Months if not Years. Funny thing to me is someone could win in a criminal case, but be sued in a civil court and lose. Florida has an interesting case going on and it will be a test of the "Stand Your Ground" defense.

These extreme cases are really a small percent of the mainstream in the USA. With freedom of the press, there is a lot of sensationalism that happens that may warp perception both home and abroad.

that is a shame.
perhaps try a proxy server online maybe.
It was a great panorama last night.
Race plays a big role in shootings especially when a white man shoots a black man and the program shows this.
Try somehow to get a proxy server in the uk to watch it through if you can it is a great program that no doubt will make you angry and rightfully so.
The tea party are talked about etc.

I lived in St. Louis for six years, and in central Missouri for two. St. Louis frequently reports the highest crime rate in the U.S., but the crime is, generally speaking, located in particular areas of the city, so nobody I knew ever went to those areas. In fact, I don't know anyone who personally experienced crime (gun violence or threats) while I lived there, although my husband worked on the edge of "the bad part of town," and he and his colleagues sometimes found bullets in the parking lot.

Gun ownership was much more common in central Missouri, where families would frequently take even young children on hunting excursions, and the first day of deer season was a holiday! That seemed really unusual to me, but it was the norm there. So, while there are pockets of the U.S. where gun ownership is common, there are also areas where it isn't. I'm sure it's hard to get an accurate picture from the media, but in the suburbs (well, where I lived), guns aren't visible. It's possible that people keep them locked up in their houses for protection, but they're not something I ever saw anyone carrying.

HI Alf!

Wow! I wouldn't worry so much. For the most part, you'll notice that people are civilized. It's really not the wild west out here. :eek:)

I live in a state where it is still legal to wear a gun strapped to your waste. Few people do it, though.

Most gun owners that I know are very responsible people. Sadly, criminals are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.