Happy Mother's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharron said:
Where are all you wonderful people in "my physical" world? Need you as neighbors. lol

Wanna move anyone?
Texas has certainly great and nice places to live. Calvin Russel realy sings nice rock & roll things about Texas...
but ...
My english so bad that I will need a translator. :?

BTW the truck mania is gaining in our area. smaller ones because the roads are small too.

Patrice

Texas has certainly great and nice places to live. Calvin Russel realy sings nice rock & roll things about Texas...
but ...
My english so bad that I will need a translator. :?

Most folks would say, they need translators to understand Texans.

Sharron said:
Most folks would say, they need translators to understand Texans.
During a visit to Dallas (for some unaccountable reason), I discovered that I'm one of those folks. There are just too many varieties of accents there and too many ways to make one-syllable words into bizarre (to my ear) polysyllabic constructions... I just wasn't prepared for it.

Yeah. But as near as I can tell, some of them would turn "drawl" into something like "dray-ohhh-ayyy-elll".

I heard a Georgia cop on a TV news clip telling people to "Geee-it ooh-uff the saaaad-woe-ack". (I translated it as "Get off the sidewalk", but that translation came more from her gestures than from what I heard, and I'm not certain that I was right about the translation.)

robinev said:
Yeah. But as near as I can tell, some of them would turn "drawl" into something like "dray-ohhh-ayyy-elll".

I heard a Georgia cop on a TV news clip telling people to "Geee-it ooh-uff the saaaad-woe-ack". (I translated it as "Get off the sidewalk", but that translation came more from her gestures than from what I heard, and I'm not certain that I was right about the translation.)
I didn't know how to spell drawl in Texan, but I think I meant just about what you wrote :lol:

LOL! And they say that Canadians have a funny accent just for tacking an eh? at the end of sentences, eh? :lol:

It's all regional. Where I am we don't say aboot
That's because they don't speak english in Montreal. :) Last time I was there (only time), I was lucky enough to be with someone who spoke excellent French. I found it amusing that a shopkeeper would make me struggle with my 'orrible french and then switch to english when they spoke to my friend. I think it was because she spoke elegant Parisian french.

John

jonra01 said:
It's all regional. Where I am we don't say aboot
That's because they don't speak english in Montreal. :) Last time I was there (only time), I was lucky enough to be with someone who spoke excellent French. I found it amusing that a shopkeeper would make me struggle with my 'orrible french and then switch to english when they spoke to my friend. I think it was because she spoke elegant Parisian french.

John
LOL! Elegant (or even inelegant) Parisian French is enough of a foreign language here to warrant switching to English as a middle ground.

Why they didn't speak to you in English? That would be political. They must have thought you were an Anglo-Canadian.

The thing is that dependig on where you are in Montreal you will find anywhere from maybe 60-70% who speak passable English (not necesarily willingly) to 100% fluency in English. It sort of goes East to West. Going West to East you have the same thing for French. Why do you think they call that "The two solitudes"?

They must have thought you were an Anglo-Canadian.
That could be, since I'm from Michigan. I'm only an hour from Sarnia. My cousin used to manage the Blue Water bridge at Port Huron / Sarnia. To a french speaker, I probably sound more like someone from Ontario than someone from Tennessee. :) And yes, some of us in Michigan have picked up the 'eh' habit. :lol:

John

jonra01 said:
They must have thought you were an Anglo-Canadian.
That could be, since I'm from Michigan. I'm only an hour from Sarnia. My cousin used to manage the Blue Water bridge at Port Huron / Sarnia. To a french speaker, I probably sound more like someone from Ontario than someone from Tennessee. :) And yes, some of us in Michigan have picked up the 'eh' habit. :lol:

John
It's a common saying among many Quebec Francophones: "Americans can't help speaking English, but Canadians have no excuse". And generally Ontario is Canada (1/3 to 1/2 the population lives there, huddled aroun d Toronto - yikes, anathema ;)...)

jonra01 said:
And yes, some of us in Michigan have picked up the 'eh' habit.
An article in Wikipedia details something called the "Canadian rising" that is common in parts of Canada and also affects American English in some areas near the Canadian border (including here in the Pacific Northwest).

Perhaps I have such trouble with some of the more pronounced variations of US-South dialects because my own pronunciations and those I'm accustomed to hearing are closer to those of western Canada than they are to those of the southern US. Eh?

(And "eh?" is so much more elegant than more common US alternatives like "huh?" or "intit?" -- a verbal abbreviations of "isn't it?")

After those interesting transgressions about anglo-canadian speaking may I suggest a jump to Sweden with the link provided by arne to a live cam and I tell you now that the sun is falling later there than for us in France! yes just at the moment 9:25 pm local time 8) put your sun glasses!

Patrice

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry again but I couldn't resist.

Like Arne suggest in his sig the Browser MOZILLA works the best with live cams. Give it a try please. I have made it my main prefered browser.
But sometimes you find sites that just accept IE :!: why this choice. :?:

There was some component that needed to be installed by Axis - maybe ActiveX - on my pc.

Firefox just merrily did it behind my back (which means I have to tweak its hidden godforsaken setting so it won't do it again LOL!)

--- Shoot! is tehre still snow on the ground there? And I though we were bad here.
Actually today it's been at least 30C and we've switched from heating directly to air conditioning LOL! Tomorrow we may go back to heating, who knows :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.