hmmmmmmmmmm wonder if this is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top this for a speeding ticket

Two California Highway Patrol Officers were conducting speeding enforcement on I-15, just north of the Marine Corps Air Station at Miramar . One of the officers was using a hand held radar device to check speeding vehicles approaching the crest of a hill.

The officers were suddenly surprised when the radar gun began reading 300 miles per hour. The officer attempted to reset the radar gun, but it would not reset and then turned off.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact locked on to a USMC F/A-18 Hornet which was engaged in a low flying exercise near the location.

Back at the CHP Headquarters the Patrol Captain fired off a complaint to the USMC Base Commander.

The reply came back in true USMC style:

Thank you for your letter. We can now complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Hornet had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked on to, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it, which is why it shut down. Furthermore, an Air-to-Ground missile aboard the fully armed aircraft had also automatically locked on to your equipment location.

Fortunately, the Marine Pilot flying the Hornet recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile system alert status and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched to destroy the hostile radar position.

The pilot also suggests you cover your mouths when cussing at them, since the video systems on these jets are very high tech. Sergeant Johnson, the officer holding the radar gun, should get his dentist to check his left rear molar. It appears the filling is loose. Also, the snap is broken on his holster.

Thank you for your concern.

Semper Fi.

Car Guy

Super Moderator
Fun to read but I don't think it's true.

I believe the radar gun could pickup the plane, and possibly the plane could jam it, but I don't believe that the pilot acted on the radar, how could he know that this is "hostile" radar? They would experience all kinds of radar.

And as for the pilot seeing the details of the trooper, that's when I LOL

I believe that falls under the "Urban myth" category

urban myth?

don't kid yourself. all these so-called drone sightings and ufo sightings? these are gov't projects or maybe even private projects going on. there are no space aliens! We are the only space aliens. :lol:

I believe mil possesses the tech to do what that response suggested.

Fun to read but I don't think it's true.

I believe the radar gun could pickup the plane, and possibly the plane could jam it, but I don't believe that the pilot acted on the radar, how could he know that this is "hostile" radar? They would experience all kinds of radar.

And as for the pilot seeing the details of the trooper, that's when I LOL

I believe that falls under the "Urban myth" category
After a 30+ year career in Naval Aviation Electronics ending in being a Technical Representative for the department of the Navy working on F-14 and F-18 Radar and weapons systems I must say that there are 3 parts of the story I am a little concerned about believing. First is that of the radar gun being able to lock onto an aircraft at that speed and distance. The second is that the pilot could see the condition of the officer's teeth as the time they would be viewable would be too short for accurate info unless they were photographing which they would not normally be doing at that location. (After 20 years there I am quite familiar with the location of the police officer and the aircraft as there is only one place on I-15 at Miramar that such a thing could happen.) The third is that the aircraft would have locked on to the radar gun and activated a missile as the controls for that system require it to be setup with Master Arm on in advance for hostilities and that is not allowed around that base and the fact it is considered a friendly area and not a test site for weapons.

It is no more than a joke I'm sure.

Still, I doubt the radar gun has that kind of distance; 300 mph - how far does the aircraft travel in 1 minute (est. amount of time it takes to point the radar down, click the reset button a few times, wait for a reset and realize it won't reset); you figure it out.

The aircraft assigned to coastal areas, even on training bases, fly armed sorties for coastal defenses. They do maintain some aircraft at each base for that reason alone. That means live weapons. However, the weapon systems don't lock-on and fire themselves.

Oh, and even the modern RF aircraft with the most advanced optical systems would still have problems doing your dental imaging for you. They could probably do some extractions for you though if you like.

OK fiction story all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.