How much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car Guy

Super Moderator
Another dumb question from Car Guy!

I'm entertaining a new web site that will be sending out thousands of email a day. No it's not spam, it's a "notification" to members of services requests. Like an RSS but by email.

My question is what are the limits for out going email on a server without looking like a spam machine?

Thanks

Another dumb question from Car Guy!

I'm entertaining a new web site that will be sending out thousands of email a day. No it's not spam, it's a "notification" to members of services requests. Like an RSS but by email.

My question is what are the limits for out going email on a server without looking like a spam machine?

Thanks
I gotta ask ..... why not just use an RSS feed ?

I don't think there's an actual "line drawn in the sand" in terms of volume per se but a large number of "undeliverable" notices might send up a flag, you'd need to be sure that the vast majority of the intended recipients didn't unintentionally reject the sender's email addy.

Car Guy

Super Moderator
I knew I should have addressed that on my first post, I should have seen that coming.

First off, the "recipients" wouldn't likely be using a browser at the time, or may be distracted and not notice the RSS. An email popping up is more noticeable.

Also, in this case, they need to act on the information in the email as it's "recipient" specific, wouldn't be able to be recipient specific with RSS.

But a good question that needed to be addressed. :)

My inital thought was that's bound to be a problem but when I was a wage slave we had a single exchange server for the main London Office of circa 150 staff so that must have chucked out 1000's of emails everyday and we never had a problem with being blacklisted.

Doesn't answer the question but if there's a definitive answer can someone add why corporate servers don't have the same problem?

Car Guy

Super Moderator
I don't think their should be a problem if you own the server, maybe if you are having it hosted. I know any ISP here would have a fit if they saw that many emails going out.

Craig's List must send out 10's of thousands a day, but they likely own the server.

Maybe someone here who does hosting can answer this more definitively.

Kind of related here: Assuming this is a list of people that opt into the email, be sure to tell them to check their "bulk" folder, if they have one, and to set their filters to allow the domain that the mail will be coming from. I have several domains that I had to unblock because they are otherwise filtered by my isp.

Status
Not open for further replies.