how to switch from cookies to HTML tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering where I can change my settings from cookie tracking to non-cookie tracking. Do I need to create a new project or can I modify the exisiting one?

Thanks

lutetia said:
Just wondering where I can change my settings from cookie tracking to non-cookie tracking. Do I need to create a new project or can I modify the existing one?

Thanks
HTML tracking is for browsers which don't have javascript enabled. It's the portion of the StatCounter code appearing between the <noscript> and </noscript> tags. If you go back to generate the code for your counter for HTML tracking only this is the only thing you're going to get. You'll not get detailed logs of referrer and other information even from visitors who'd otherwise permit javascript.

I don't think cookies are in any way related to using a HTML only counter or the other more general javascript counter. The HTML-only tracking caters to some web hosting services not allowing use of javacript on their web pages. The ability of the visitor's browser to allow javascript determines if HTML tracking is used or not. Cookies come into play elsewhere, and the visitor may or may not permit cookies. I may be wrong though, it's possible that the HTML-only portion of the tracking also does not in fact use cookies.

Thanks for clarifying that...

OK, let's see if I have this straight (please correct me if I'm wrong):

-As long as visitors have Javascript enabled, Statcounter records full detalis.

-If they don't have javascript enabled, StatCounter records fewer details using the HTML part of the code.

What happens if visitors have cookies disabled? Will they not show up in the log at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
They will show up with all details but always as unique visitors, not as repeat visitors, since there's no cookie to remember their last visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.