Inserting affiliate banners don't work

Discussion in 'Lounge (non-StatCounter related topics here!)' started by Swede, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swede

Swede New Member

I'm using Evrst First Page 2006 to make websites and there is a problem.
    When trying to insert different banners from companies to which I'm affiliating I see the HTML text in the upper window BUT in the bottom one I see a rectangle with a little, tiny white square with a red cross in it and the text "Gif. banner" beside.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Please, help me someone.

MOD - Moving this thread to Non-Statcounter discussion

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2008
  2. Car Guy

Car Guy Super Moderator

Sounds like the url to the banner is invalid. Check your code carefully.

Richard

3. geordie joe

geordie joe New Member

Sounds like you are creating your pages on your own computer while off line. The banners are on the affiliate network sites so you won't see them unless you are online.

4. Swede

Swede New Member

Hi geordie joe, and thank you for your interrest in my problems.
    When editing my webpage I'm off line but when cutting/copying the HTML text for the banner from the companies, I'm on line. Doing like this the HTML text results in a rectangle with a small square with a little red cross in the upper left corner.
    Have I understood your advice right whenI say that the image will be seen correctly when the site is uploaded or.......? You see, I'm a newbie

5. geordie joe

geordie joe New Member

Yes you are right. It may not be the answer to your particular problem, you'll just have to try it and see.

But affiliate banners are on the affiliate network's server, so you can't see them unless you are connected to the internet.

If I were you I would upload the pages then look at them in your browser.

6. Car Guy

Car Guy Super Moderator

If you view a web page that's on your PC with a browser, it should load the images. It always works for me, I have all kinds of affiliates I use, they all load fine on my PC. Your browser connects to the internet when it loads your page. That's why I think the URL to the image on the affiliates server is wrong.

Richard

7. geordie joe

geordie joe New Member

Not if you have copied the code, then logged off before you paste it into your page. You have to be connected to the internet at least once before it will show on your PC.

I used to do it all the time, still do. Log on to the affiliate network, copy several links into notepad then log off. Open Dreamweaver and paste them from notepad into the pages. They never show up until you connect to the internet again.

8. Car Guy

Car Guy Super Moderator

Well it doesn't work that way for me. I'm signed up with 3 affiliates, and I simply paste the code into the page and "view" in a web browser. I am on an "always on" connected internet connection.

9. geordie joe

geordie joe New Member

Yes but try it when you are not "always on".

If you paste code into your page that shows an image that is not on your local machine, and you are not connected to the internet you will not see it.

You have to be connected to the internet at least once for the image to be downloaded to your computer.

10. Car Guy

Car Guy Super Moderator

I'm spoiled with my Always On internet connection I guess. I just take for granted that everyone has it :roll:

Richard

11. webado

webado Moderator

Editors like Dreamweaver won't show a remote image while you are in design view. If you are in web view (so using a browser in fact) AND if you're connected to the internet then you'll see the image assuming the url is correct.

If you're not connected to the internet and have already seen that image before and it's still in your computer's cache, then as long as your internet settings are not to refresh the page, you will see it in web view.

If your internet settings are like mine to always bring a fresh copy of the page, then when not connected, I see a broken image.

But I'm usually always connected anyway, unless my ISP is down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.