Invisible Counter for everyone but me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jackndaisy

It would really be nice if StatCounter offered a counter visibility option where only one or more IP addresses would see the counter image on a web page for a given project -- all other IP addresses would get the invisible counter.

Under such a scenario, the counter would be invisible for the rest of the world. But, when I pull up my web page from my static IP address at home or another IP address, I could get a quick check of the current hit counter without having to login to my StatCounter account.

It should be fairly simple to program such an IP check into the counter script and offer this as an option on the "Configure Counter" page. And, we wouldn't have to burden the StatCounter servers by logging-in just to view our current hit counter.

What do you think?

LOL! Why don't you make a plain jane page for yourself, put the visible version of the counter code in and consult your page as often as you like? It doesn't even have to be on your website, it can just sit on your pc.

J

jackndaisy

Yep, I already thought of that (LOL, yeah, right). Sure, it's easy enough to create something like what you have in mind. But, the more elegant solution would be for the logic (ie: IP address list) to reside on the server rather than the client. That way, we wouldn't need to maintain a separate page on all our PCs just to see the counter. We could simply use the page that is bookmarked in our browser to view the current counter.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Thanks for the feedback.

J

jackndaisy

Thanks. Both of your suggestions would work if all I wanted to do was view my counter. But, I failed to mention that my kids want to view the web page "as is" and see what the current counter reads. I'd like to accomodate them without the counter being visible to the rest of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.