IP address 255.255.255.255 or 0.0.0.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were trying to fake it you probably didn't manage to fool it ;)

But how and where exactly it picks up the IP behind the proxy's own IP, I don't know. I think it's one of those server variables from VIA or FORWARDED-FOR or whatever, but then again, I don't actually know. Woudl love to know it too, for my own proxy blocking script.

It works reasonably well to cut through anonymizer proxies in general. It seems to not work well for some institutional proxies where the Ip one step behind is an internal LAN ip or localhost which should be discarded.

It's from a BlackBerry

When I visit my website using my new BlackBerry Curve (I have AT&T) it shows up on the Recent Pageload Activity page as: Browser (blank), OS (blank), Resolution (unknown), Location (n/a), Host Name (255.255.255.255).

Grrr, it's the proxy that's detecetd by Statcounter.

It's high time Statcounter tests the IP behind the frist IP. If it turns out to be nonsense it should not report it and report the first IP.

Blackberry

I too get the ip address 255.255.255.255 show up if i visit my own page using my Blackberry 8120 using GPRS on the Orange Network. If I visit using the Wi-Fi connection on the phone, I get the IP Address of my wireless router of course.

Don't stress peeps.

ODAAT

255.255.255.255 reading from four usb keys

I was working on my desktop (wired to linksys router) (laptop downstairs connected by wifi to router) when I noticed a usb key having data read from it. I looked at a hub where I have three other usb keys and noted data being read simultaneously from the three other keys. I was not accessing the keys as I was working off my hard drive. I called linksys and they said my system had not been hacked, What I have read on this forum (found by goolging the IP) I was told the wrong info. Should I worry? Has someone outside the firewall breached it and copying my files off the usb keys?

Do you mean usb keys plugged into a usb hub?

Usb keys don't have on/off buttons, so once plugged into a usb port or a hub they are on and actively part of the system. Just like your internal hard drives are (they will spin all the time the pc is on). Likewise for external hard drives that are plugged into a usb port and if they are turned on.

They are also going to be included in antivirus scans and any other activity.

block IP address in blogger

I got the IP to block with this code:
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
var ip = '<!#echo var="REMOTE_ADDR">';
if (ip == "24.150.50.208") {
alert("You are visiting this site from a blocked IP address " +ip);
window.location="http://www.keezmovies.com/"
}
// -->
that I got somewhere on this forum, so I'm not sure I'm even replying to right thread but hopefully...lol
the thread said someone was having trouble, well on blogger, if you make this:
<--!#echo var="REMOTE_ADDR"--> look like this: <!#echo var="REMOTE_ADDR">
It will work. Just take out the --
I sent my spammer to a **** site with lots of cookies...LOL
so far so good :D
If it continues to work, I'm putting this code on all my sites for those on unwanted IP's....it took me 2 weeks to find an IP block that worked in blogger, so hopefully this is it!
It's hard to tell if it is working, I'm guessing cuz I have had 29 hits in the last 2 days from the same IP and they haven't hit in 2 hours, I'm hoping its because they are blocked...LOL
Jen with fingers crossed

This script will only work if:
1) the visitor has not disabled javascript
and
2) the serevr supports SSI (server side include) for the particualr web page where you use it

In general if the web page is suffixed .html or .htm you will not be able to use SSI directives UNLESS the server is set to allow them on such pages. Usually pages have to be suffixed as .shtml to allow SSI.

On Apache servers you can use the .htaccess file to force the server to consider .html or .htm pages as if they were .shtml and parse them for SSI directives.

On an IIS server there are settings as well that can achieve this.

Without such settings that script will fail completely because it simply cannot know what value this is:

<!#echo var="REMOTE_ADDR">

It would assume it to be a regular character string, so the test will always fail.

I suppose Blogger is already set up to allow SSI, or it would not have worked.

IP Cloaking

Besides the proxy servers that spamers use their is all kinds of software out their to mask your IP address to anything you prefer. Like 0.0.0.0 and of course 255.255.255.255. I would recommend you block that visitor via .htaccess or windows IIS in the security template.

I think this is the IP behind the external IP.
Statcounter tries to get to the real IP when ti detects there's anything in these server variables:
HTTP_VIA
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR

Sometimes it's those funny IP's, sometimes it's localhost 127.0.0.1 or some other internal IP on a LAN, like 192.168.1.1 and so on.

I don't think it's possible to surf the net and show no valid IP.

It may be the IP of an anonymizer proxy, but it will still be a valid IP. Otherwise there is no way to receive information, is there?

You can only block IP adresses at the server level.

Either urisn tools provided in the control panel or by serer-side scripting added to pages - and for that you must have proper control of your website.

So not possible on free accounts usually, not on Blogger blogs and other similar sites.

blogger

Perhaps this may seem pedestrian to ask but...people I know from city X are showing as city Y and city Y as city Z. Is there a reason why the readers' cities are not accurate? Thanks for your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.