Issue with StatCounter in Joomla 1.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have issue with installing Statcounter in Joomla 1.6.1; instructions are provided for Joomla 1.5, there's no installation guide for 1.6, and when following instructions for 1.5, only some code is displayed where Statcounter is meant to be.

I've searched this forum and found several threads with the same issue as mine, but all of them are related to Joomla 1.5, there's no-one reporting this issue for 1.6. I've found those reccommended extensions, J!Statcounter and PHP by FWD (reccommended in this thread), but they are also for 1.5, and last updated in 2008!

Can someone, please, shed some light how to successfully install Statcounter at Joomla 1.6.x?!

Thanks in advance!

This is screenshot of code shown in my site after Statcounter installation, following instructions in Installation guide for 1.5 (look at the footer of the page; I did hide "private" numbers in the code).

Arne

Can someone, please, shed some light how to successfully install Statcounter at Joomla 1.6.x?!
Sorry, I can't help you, since I have never used Joomla and I guess other members of this forum has still not updated to the 1.6 version.

Just wanted to say that with all those "easy website making" solutions it's hard to keep up with the updates, and when not even all templates for them works the same it gets even harder.

I guess, what you can try to do, is to contact the developer of the extension for 1.5 and ask if he want to update it for 1.6 if that is needed.
The other option is to contact Statcounter support if they can see what is different in 1.6 from 1.5 and work out instructions for 1.6

Thanks for reply!

The other option is to contact Statcounter support if they can see what is different in 1.6 from 1.5 and work out instructions for 1.6
I thought forum was part of Statcounter support, so they keep an eye over bugs reported here... Anyway, I'll follow your advice, and see if I can solve this; thanks!

Arne

I thought forum was part of Statcounter support, so they keep an eye over bugs reported here.
Yes, the forum is part of the support. But it's main goal is for members helping each other as far as we can and give the support staff more time to help users with the difficult issues. :)

The support staff comes also to the forum from time to time, when they have the opportunity, but mostly they are occupied with other issues.

I did as adviced, and only a couple of hours after I submitted my ticket, I received and answer from Rory, which resolved my issue - Statcounter is up and running!

If anyone else has similar issue, here is the solution I received:
1. Login to Joomla
2. Select Extensions, then Template Manager, then Site Templates
3. Click the circle next to the current theme then click the "Edit" button
towards the top
4. Click the "Edit HTML" button in the upper right hand corner
4. Scroll down to the bottom and paste the code just before the
</body></html> code
5. Click the Save button at the top

The StatCounter code should now be active on your site.
Just to mention that, I suppose depending on template you currently use, steps 3 and 4 were slightly different - instead of checking current template, I rather straight clicked it, and then found "Edit HTML" link next to name of template.

Also, after adding counter code, I received error message "file index.php could not be saved"; it appeared that directorium and file itself didn't have writing permissions, so I had to chmod them from control panel, and then save.

Just to mention that, I suppose depending on template you currently use, steps 3 and 4 were slightly different - instead of checking current template, I rather straight clicked it, and then found "Edit HTML" link next to name of template.
This is very true! Using Joomla 1.5 with rockettheme and stat counter refuses to work with this theme

This is very true! Using Joomla 1.5 with rockettheme and stat counter refuses to work with this theme
No this is not true. I'm using Statcounter with Joomla 1.5.23 and Rockettheme Panacea with Gantry Framework and it's working like a charm.

To make it work, just input the Statcounter code into a customHTML module and make sure the module shows on all pages. E.g. a footer-a module position, or some other position.
You might want to disable the WYSIWYG Editor in Global Configuration before adding the code in the module position, and enable it again after you save the module. (I've not tested if this is necessary).

I just added the code below other text I already had in the same module.

Joomla 1.6 on the other hand... That's why I came to this forum in the first place, because it can't be added in a module position, and the theme I'm using doesn't have the same file structure as normal templates.

I did as adviced, and only a couple of hours after I submitted my ticket, I received and answer from Rory, which resolved my issue - Statcounter is up and running!

If anyone else has similar issue, here is the solution I received:

Also, after adding counter code, I received error message "file index.php could not be saved"; it appeared that directorium and file itself didn't have writing permissions, so I had to chmod them from control panel, and then save.
Just so we're clear: There's no circle next to the theme selection screen in Joomla 1.6.

Just so we're clear: There's no circle next to the theme selection screen in Joomla 1.6.
No, there wasn't one in my Admin centre, too; that's why I emphasized it might have depended on template, maybe some other back-end template shows it, I don't know; but the key is, however, to find a way to edit html source, and enter code there.

I am also having trouble installing it on 1.6. I don't have the 'edit html' in my template section due to the joomla theme: joomlaart.

I would love to post statcounter onto my website however I am not able to. Anyone else having trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.