It happened again; a burst of hits goes missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reported this before (long before), but here's the situation:

Project ID: 5409322
Website: http://www.redbubble.com/people/marjoleink and related pages

I observed before that when I posted a new photograph to RedBubble and announced this (with link) on identi.ca (and maybe Twitter), I normally immediately get a little 'burst' of visits (roughly 50, depending on weekday and time of day) with a 'long trail' trickling in afterwards.

Now some of those are from RedBubble members who are 'following me' and happen to be online at that time - but not dozens.
RedBubble records the view counts for each page, and clearly shows such a 'burst' (which never happens in such numbers when I do not announce @ identi.ca and Twitter - even if a lot of people eventually look, it's much more gradual). And I know identi.ca members who are following me will look when I announce a new image.

The problem is, this 'burst' is just completely invisible in my StatCounter stats.

When I reported this before, it was unresolved. Just some guesses, no clear answers. I stopped using identi.ca and Twitter for half a year or so, and in StatCounter everything seemed fine. Now, a week or so ago, I started using both services again. And I just posted three new photos to RedBubble, announced them on both identi.ca and Twitter, see the counts shoot up as usual - and I see them missing again in StatCounter. So I thought I'd report it again.

I suspect it may have something to do with the fact these hits are coming in very close together.

I'm linking to two screenshots (must view at full size, so I cannot attach them here and have them still readable!) that show the view counts in RedBubble after the initial burst, and recent pageload activity from StatCounter, with some highlights and notes attached.

I hope this helps - I really would like to see all hits!

More information:

At times there seems to be a considerable delay today before pageload data appear at all - and then when new ones appear there's a chunk missing before that.

I was getting comments on these photos in RedBubble and the pageloads for that are missing... normally I can see them all.

Could there be some kind of maintenance job running on the server, causing delays in reporting and hits to go missing?

Last edited:
Connectivity problems

Problems at the moment may be related to the issue with access to Statcounter servers mentioned in other threads. The Statcounter cleardot image you inserted into to Redbubble page showed up as "broken image" when I looked a few minutes ago.

Problems at the moment may be related to the issue with access to Statcounter servers mentioned in other threads. The Statcounter cleardot image you inserted into to Redbubble page showed up as "broken image" when I looked a few minutes ago.
Ah, thanks for the reaction - good point! (I had not noticed any other threads, but this looked so much like the problem I had earlier...)

I'm not seeing 'broken images' right now, but if it's intermittent (as it seems to be) reproducing that would be hit and miss...

I'll be keeping an eye on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.