Livejournal

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by fatandconfused, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatandconfused

fatandconfused New Member

How do i add stat counter to livejournal?? i've never used notepad before soa very basic explanationw ould be be kindly appreciated

thnx

2. delirioussonjablue

delirioussonjablue New Member

This is what I do..

I have two projects related to livejournal with stat counter..

I have a friends only entry dated for 2025 so that it stays on the top of my page. (If you don't also have one of those on your journal, make sure you choose the "date out of order" box as well as the date so it doesn't screw up the rest of your posts.) In the friends only post, I include the code for stat counter. Keep in mind, this will only work for people going directly to your page to read it. Friends who read your entries from their friends page won't show up.

I also include the code for the 2nd project on the "about me" section of my user info page" to track who looks at that page as well.

The problem I'm having with this is that all of the other features of stat counter don't seem to work.. basically all of the ones with referring links, where they came from, entry and exit pages, etc.

Anyone have any info on why this is and how to correct it?

3. webado

webado Moderator

You cannot have any url information on Livejournal because you cannot use the full Statcounter code with javascript, which is what's needed in order to have url information.

4. Arne

Arne New Member

Well, I have no personal experience using Livejournal, so this is just a guess based on what I learned.

So, if Livejournal allows counters at all, then I will guess the Statcounter's HTML Only version is what is possible. Is that what you have, then there is not possible to get those detailed stats that is provided thruu the Javascript portion of the full counter code, e.g. referring links, came from, entry and exit pages, etc.

5. fatandconfused

fatandconfused New Member

Great, i've followed your advice, hopefully it'll work. the only thing i did differently was set the post to private...i guess this'll still work??

6. webado

webado Moderator

Whatever private means, but it's posisble it won't be seen by anybody else, therefore you can only count yourself :)

Visit your livejournal after logging off and check if you see the Statcounter code when viewing the source code of the page. If it's not there, no visitors will be counted ever.

7. mechafaster

mechafaster New Member

Stat counter only works if I put the text in my user info. It doesn't count page visits for my actual journal, just the profile page. So I posted a friends only entry and backdated it a year ago...still no go. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

8. webado

webado Moderator

Where do you have it? Please give the url.

9. mechafaster

mechafaster New Member

10. webado

webado Moderator

There's no Statcounter code on that page.

I seem to recall that on Livejournal you may only be able to use the html version of the Statcounter code. You'd add it the way you add images or any other html customization.

But as I don't have such a site myself, I cannot confirm.

Otherwise I obviously don't know where else you think you added the code. If it's on some page that needs authentication, I can't get to it.

11. mechafaster

mechafaster New Member

Meh, I did it over and now it's working however I am the only ip address showing up :/ I know other people have been there because they've left comments but they aren't showing up at all. I'm so frustrated I think I'm just going to give up. Thanks though.

12. webado

webado Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.