Need a laptop, does this look ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I need a new laptop, as i'm now working again I can't sit at the PC at home all day like I used :(. Therefore I need a PC so I can sit in front of that whenever I get a few minutes :). I don't want to pay to much and I don't need it to play the latest games or anything like that. It will be used for a text editor, dreamweaver, possibly Office, very occasional Photoshop (although I will probably leave most of this for when i'm at home).

I saw this one coming up very soon:

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/productnl_191.html

What do you think?

All the best.
Michael.

Funny, I just ordered one yesterday. I went for this one:
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.asp...1012&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11012&InMerch=1

I've used dabs in the past and found them superb. Both for delivering good value (and quickly) and also on returns if there is anything the matter.

The one you found at Aldi has a bigger HD and is dual-core, which I admit is tempting. However, I was going for price, so a CeleronM 1.73GHz was good enough for me. 1Ghz RAM is on both machines, & I wouldn't want to go lower.

All in all, looks pretty good for the money. There is cheaper around at lower spec and I have confidence in returning to Dabs if there's a problem, but you should be ok with a shop.

Is that price with/without VAT?
Looks expensive for an unknown brand-- what is the quality of the components? What is the support going to be like if it goes wrong?
You can get really good s/hand models from Dell/Toshiba with pretty high spec for under £300.
Also I have heard that Vista causes a lot of problems with some existing software-do you really want to pay for Vista rather than XP Prof?

Is that price with/without VAT?
Looks expensive for an unknown brand-- what is the quality of the components? What is the support going to be like if it goes wrong?
You can get really good s/hand models from Dell/Toshiba with pretty high spec for under £300.
Also I have heard that Vista causes a lot of problems with some existing software-do you really want to pay for Vista rather than XP Prof?
When it comes to laptops I really don't have a clue. I thought it looked a good deal for what you got but again wasn't to keen on the brand. Although I have heard good things of other Median products from Aldi before. I've just dug out my old IBM Thinkpad T23 and pulled the faulty HD out so I may just replace the HD and be done with it but I have to admit I still like the idea of shiny new one with a bit more bang :).

I'm very reluctant when it comes to Vista, I haven't even installed it on my new PC which came with the free upgrade (I have the disc but just don't want to go down that route yet). None of my PC's in my house use Vista all use XP Prof with the exception of one PC that uses XP Media Centre. Maybe we could hear some more views on Vista from people who have / are using it?

All the best.
Michael.

Maybe we could hear some more views on Vista from people who have / are using it?

quote]

That's a good idea.

As I say all I have heard is be careful if you have lots of older software that you want to use on the new Vista machine.
Same here which is why I haven't upgraded yet. Although in the past I only ever upgraded on one "test" PC before going live on my main systems. However I don't have that option at the moment as all PC's are in use and I have no "spare" PC's that are remotely capable of running Vista.

NeilB

I actually am avoiding vista until I hear good reports about it on this forum. When it first came out, the opinion voiced by the majority of users here said avoid it until it has been out a while and thoroughly tested. So thats what I am doing....

Cheers
Neil

My criteria for the next laptop I ever get are as follows:

1. ultra light - it will have to be no heavier than 4.5 lbs (battery included) or I don't want it. My current one weighs 13.5 lbs and I'm crippled by it.
  2. has to run as cool as possible - my current moster overheats just looking at it
  3. large HD - no less than 80GB and preferably more
  4. dual layer DVD burner
  5. must come with a real Windows OS (not OEM) cd to reinstall not just those crappy recovery disks - don't know Vista so XP Pro would be best for now
  6. good soundcard with proper inputs and outputs for many devices
  7. of course built in wi-fi but also a regular dial-up modem/faxmodem
  8. high memory - 1GB ram at least
  9. graphic card with its own memory so it won't eat into the ram
  10. place to add a real keyboard - I cna add a real mouse using usb ports
  11. enough usb ports for all the doodads
  12. dual core as it's the current buzz word
  13. not Dell (don't know why, bad experience with Dell)
  14. not refurbished (been caught with that once, thank you, no real warranty)
The rest are more technical specs which I would want the best of (read: no clue) :)

Oh yeah, the price to be no more than $600CAD :lol:

So I'm forever doomed to get 2 generations old stuff ;)

Hmmm...good point about Vista - I'll let you all know how I get on. If push comes to shove, I've got an unused XP Home disc & I'll install that. Hope it won't come to that...

Can't wait til the morning! :))

hi guys
Well i just got MY nwe laptop , dell inspiron 6400, and its vista !! , oh well i will see how it goes before i look for the " make me look like XP button "

Rich

My aunt-in-law got a nice pretty new laptop, with Vista installed, and she wanted me to show her how to use it. For my first foray into Vista (as well as IE7 -- and my site looked fine :D), I did pretty well, but I agree, I'd go looking for the "make me look like Windows 98" button if I had more to do with it... ;) Still gotta get her on FireFox though...

Aghhhh Robbed !! Just kidding

Hey dudes + dudets

Just getting to grips wiv me new vista portable rig and, then youngest (17) goes and gets a place at the horticultural college , so Tina says "he will need his own laptop" which translates to " give Jamie your new laptop" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:x :x :x :x

Rich ( out of pocket AGAIN !! )

Hi Chris

Rich, as any good modern parent, you'll get the cast-offs ;)
Tell me !! , full of Mesanger rubbish and my-space.stuff and well out of date by then Grrrrrrr

Looks like I'm desk bound again for a bit
Hmmm now if only i can sell a few sites and domains i could make me money, ??

Rich

Lol - you're lucky they're just at college - my twins are through uni and doing the tour of Eastern Europe & Scandinavia (they did the Western half before they went).

Now I'm getting pleas via text messages and Facebook and MSN & christknows where-else for a bit of top-up cash. Yeesshh! And as for Vista - not happy!

Quite apart from the difficulty of persuading it that I can have a computer existance without invoking Microsoft at every turn (you want to download Opera & Firefox? No you don't really, that might be dangerous - we've cancelled the download for you - stick with IE with 15 different cruddy toolbars loaded), it then breaks its own conventions. I try to find Add & Remove Software in the Control Panel - its not there. They're renamed it as "Programmes and Obscurity" - well not quite, but you get the drift.

Strangely, although there is only one user - me - set up, it won't let me into the folder named "My Documents". I don't have permission, apparently. I don't know from whom I have to seek this permission, crawl on my knees to Seattle? However, it has created a folder named Documents, so I'm stuffing my life in there, not quite knowing where its ending up.

The hard drive came ready partitioned into C & D drives. Oh, and with a blasted recovery disc instead of the actual software. Wish I'd thought about that in advance! Given a choice, (which of course as a MS victim, I'm not allowed), I'd have partitioned the driving to allow two different operating systems, and maybe ventured into Linux on one of them. But we'll see how much it irritates me.

Hi wonga

Wohh tel me about it , in some ways i'm kinda glad Jamie got the rig from me . At every turn it's 'windows needs your permissinon to proceed' and as for finding how to uninstall stuff well -- "Programmes and Obscurity" just about sums it up , oh and that hard drive partion for recovery , give me a break !!

I was once described in this fourum as a ludite !! com'on you guys try vista and then say i'm a stick in the mud !!

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.