Northampton Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I know one of our members live in Northampton (don't want to name names of course). Well could anyone who lives in Northampton, England let me know if there is a Dunnmills shop there.

My Mum wants something from there and I am hoping against hope that I don't have to travel too far.

Cheers Alison.

geekgirl said:
Hi, I know one of our members live in Northampton (don't want to name names of course). Well could anyone who lives in Northampton, England let me know if there is a Dunnmills shop there.

My Mum wants something from there and I am hoping against hope that I don't have to travel too far.

Cheers Alison.
Hi Alison

Just did a search on yell.com and it didn't have any in the UK.

Northampton? Tis I. :)

The names not familiar and there's nothing in the phone book. What's more relevant is that it rings no bells with my better half .... and she knows 'em all. ;)

Mmmm My Mum has probably got it wrong then, I will have to check. She rang Curver the plastic company for advice on stock and they gave her the name. She is 74 and doesn't hear very well. Thanks so much for your help. Back to the drawing board!

Is Northamptonshire the same as Northampton?

And is your mum looking for kitchen ware? Plastic kitchen ware or plastic garden stuff? What lol,

Northampton is a town that resides in the county of Northamptonshire. Northampton is therefore referred to as 'the county town'.

Can't answer your second question :)

JWJ said:
Northampton is a town that resides in the county of Northamptonshire. Northampton is therefore referred to as 'the county town'.

Can't answer your second question :)
In this you are correct about Northampton being the county town of Northamptonshire, but not for the reasons you give.

County towns are the location of administrative or judicial functions for the county, usually the "capital town". In the USA they are refered to as The County Seat.

Your explination of county town makes it sound as if every town in a particular county can be called the county town.

Sorry to be picky, but I'm just trying to give a clearer explination for our overseas cousins.

You're quite right Geordie. I had only meant that Northampton was the county town of Northamptonshire and hadn't intended any 'wider' explanation. My hasty response is indeed misleading and I thank you for putting me right. ;)

Actually, what had been in my mind at the time I posted was the existance of our 'shires' and the fact that, in the main, if the county is a shire then the county town is of the same name. For example, Derby - Derbyshire, York - Yorkshire, Cambridge - Cambridgeshire, Stafford - Staffordshire, etc. Of course, being British we can't apply rules consistently ... there's no Hamp in Hampshire :lol:

Last edited:
activewebs said:
Hi guys

Is it dunelm mill shop your after ?? we got one in derby , sells bedding and rugs and cloth and stuff

www.dunelm-mill.co.uk

Rich
Yes, that is the place. They do delivery on the website, all was looking good. I rang them and they said that they did have the storage box but they sold out as soon as they came in the shops. Thanks very much for that. Well spotted.
Cheers.
I knew that statcounter buddies would do it.

Sharron said:
Is Northamptonshire the same as Northampton?

And is your mum looking for kitchen ware? Plastic kitchen ware or plastic garden stuff? What lol,
Hi Sharron,
She is looking for this plastic storage box. It is tall plastic and you can put a full box of washing powder in a drawer in the bottom there is another drawer above that with a flip lid storage area in the rounded top. It is really usefull as it is tall and thin and fits in spaces between dishwashers, washing machines etc... I have one and I now feel so guilty I might have to give her mine.

Cheers Alison.

We get it all at this forum don't we!!

JWJ said:
You're quite right Geordie. I had only meant that Northampton was the county town of Northamptonshire and hadn't intended any 'wider' explanation. My hasty response is indeed misleading and I thank you for putting me right. ;)

Correct me if I am wrong didn't Northampton used to be a capital town?

Yes. As I mention on my web site, for about 200 years (around the 9th/10th centuries I think) Northampton became very popular with royalty and heads of state. The castle, as was, became the Seat of Parliament. It's strange that today Northampton doesn't even qualify for 'city' status and remains a town. There can't be many county towns that are not cities.

By-the-by, I see that Wellingborough has a Dunelm Mill shop. That's not far from me and I'm more than happy to pick something up for you if it helps. ;)

Last edited:
lol, since we are educating the foreigner on English stuff, what is a biscuit in England? Is it a cracker, a cookie or a biscuit as we know a biscuit?
By the way here a biscuit is a soft bready type of well............ biscuit. In my mind I akin a English biscuit with a sort of shortbread type cookie. How terribly off am I?

Bye the bye, I looked here on the Dunelm site for your laundry storage unit and don't see it listed. :-?

I'm not too hot on what you call crackers, cookies and biscuits but I've always understood our biscuits to be equal to your cookies. My favourites are Custard Creams and Chocolate Digestives .... do they mean anything to you?

Hi dudes and dudets

JWJ said:
Yes. As I mention on my web site, for about 200 years (around the 9th/10th centuries I think) Northampton became very popular with royalty and heads of state. The castle, as was, became the Seat of Parliament. It's strange that today Northampton doesn't even qualify for 'city' status and remains a town. There can't be many county towns that are not cities.

By-the-by, I see that Wellingborough has a Dunelm Mill shop. That's not far from me and I'm more than happy to pick something up for you if it helps. ;)
HEHE Here we go :razz:

OK john what about the kingdom of mercier, im shure you will know more about this than me so fire in old pal, and BTW Derby only just (IMHO) make city status

Hi Alison
I to am about 5 mins drive from dunelm in derby , if they have what you need, PM me and we can work somthing out NO prob

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.