page loads and log entries

Status
Not open for further replies.
New user here....

I have a small web site with about 16 main pages plus 40 or 50 "deeper" pages. For now, I have inserted the StatCounter code on the 16 main pages only. Eventually, I'd like to track the entire site...

Now, when checking my stats for my "test visit", I see that each page load come up as a separate entry in the visitor log, showing the page URL plus the previous (referring) page URL. Is this normal?

I'm afraid the log will fill up fast if each visitor clicks on all 16 pages and am wondering if I should have entered the code only on my index page. But then, would I still get stats for visitor navigation through the site?

Is there anything I've done wrong or am I reading the log incorrectly?

Thanks

Ok, but I'm still not clear on how the log space count of "100" is filled.

I have so far had a grand total of 25 unique visitors since signing up last week on 9th June, yet already that date's visitor stats appear to have scrolled.

Is the count of "100" based on page views (in my case, 211 to date)?

Thanks

I should add that both "visitor stats" (individual page views) and "path" stats have scrolled.

What I'd like to know is whether, in order to make the most of the log, I should limit the number of pages with StatCounter code in order to keep the log from scrolling too fast.

lutetia said:
I should add that both "visitor stats" (individual page views) and "path" stats have scrolled.

What I'd like to know is whether, in order to make the most of the log, I should limit the number of pages with StatCounter code in order to keep the log from scrolling too fast.
You got it: page views. The last 100 page views are kept at all times.
Of course, the fewer pages that have the statcounter code, the less logging is done, so the log covers a longer time span.

Ultimately it's up to you how much detail you want to see. If you're satisfied in just seeing the visitors that hit your index page or if you also want to know where they have navigated. Visitors can also come to secondary pages through web searches or bookmarks and you'd miss those if those pages don't also have a counter on them.

Maybe you can make a point of checking your logs daily or a couple of times a day.

If your site is very busy the basic Statcounter may not be enough for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.