Power to USB ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a problem with my shiny new Sandisk Cruzer memory stick - but only with one programme.
I use memory sticks for all my web site copies, pictures and dtp. I just decided to upgrade to a larger memory but it won't work with Serif on the front ports. Now I know these can have less power than the back but is there a way of checking this? I can use the front with all my other sticks. The only thing I notice is the new one has a large half inch square light. Do you think it could be trying to pull too much power?
Alan.

Yes - I can load DTP files no problem and click a picture and it will show up in windows. Try to load a Serif file and message "an unknown error occurred" - every time! But the same file will load from a different memory stick.
Alan.

I can't see how it could be a power problem, surely it takes the same amount of power to read a serif file as it does another type of file. Assuming they are about the same size.

Have you tried copying the file from the USB stick to the HD and opening it from there?

geordie joe said:
IAssuming they are about the same size.
Hmmm... size. Maybe that's it. If Alan's WebPlus file is his whole site, with images etc embedded, that could be pretty substantial...

I'm still amazed that this can happen though.

I first had a problem with the Cruzer trying to install it. The new U3 programmes that come with some of the sticks were conflicting with various programmes so they had to be removed. It was at that time that Sandisk support told me to use the back USB ports with the following:

"The main difference between front and rear USB ports is that the rear USB ports recieve more power because they are directly connected to the motherboard. Front USB ports are not and can have variable power and speed ratings (almost like a laptop)."

Alan.

Another thought might be that the new drive may be USB @.0 and the others may be 1.0 . The major difference between them is the speed of transfer. If you plug in a USB 2.0 device to a 1.0 port it will usually work but at a slower rate of speed. Based on the file sizes you are talking about a file measured in kb would have no apparent effect however, a file measured in MB may actually time out.

I would verify that the ports on the front are also USB 2.0 not the older 1.0 format.

A few months back I bought a top of the line keyboard that has lighted keys, two USB ports as well as an LCD screen and 18 extra programable keys as well on it. While this keyboard requires a USB 2.0 port to plug into on the computer the USB ports on the keyboard itself are still only USB 1.0.

That could be the same type of issue you are seeing now. Especially when you say if you copy the files over to the hard drive they work fine. I would also copy the 5MB file over to one of the smaller USB thumb drives you had from before and see if that works on the front port as a test.

Hope this helps.

Kevin -
My other two sticks work fine with the same file - but are they 1 or 2? I don't know.
The old original I would think is one, the new Cruzer I'm pretty sure is 2. Where do I check on the computer what the ports are?
Alan.

If you plug in a USB 2.0 device into a 1.0 port you will typically see a window appear the first time you plug it in stating it will work at the slower speed.

Other then that you may have to look in device manager to find out the version of your ports. You may also be able to track your transfer speed by hovering over your icon of the drive while it is transferring the files. If I am not mistaken USB 2.0 is something like 280 Mb a second and USB 1.0 is only 1 Mb a second it is a major difference in transfer speed.

That is why you see all the external CD burners are USB 2.0 as if you try to burn a cd at the 1.0 speed you will have issues with data corruption.

Many computers on the market do not have alot of available physical memory to store files in. When they run out of available physical memory they write it off to system cache.

I found that having my system cache set to a minimum of 2x the amount of physical memory was good for me. I am not your typical end user though. I play alot of high end video games. Because of this I actually have some games that require me to have 512 of available system memory to install them. That is what prompted me to boost my physical memory up to a GB in this system as my system was using some of my physical memory when I had the 512 chip in there alone. The fact is my video card was allocating 256 MB of my physical memory for its own use.

Sorry that was a bit off topic. It might give you a few other things to look into though as I do not believe the problem you are experiencing is power related. If it was the plugging in an powered external USB hub to that port on the front would also solve your problem as it would get the required power for the ports from its own power supply not the system itself.

When you have this thing plugged into the usb ports, does your computer recognize it as another drive?

Also is the Cruser formated to a particular type? Like I know, lol, but I know there are differences. or I think there are differences.

Since I've no idea, but wanted to help if I could, I googled it using search term: problems using Sandisk Cruzer memory stick

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-20810-Memory-Stick-Sandisk-Cruzer-Mini-HELP-NEEDED.html

http://search.techrepublic.com.com/search/usb+and+usb+flash+drive+and+usb-memory.html

problems using Sandisk Cruzer memory stick and Web serif:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2006-08%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=problems+using+Sandisk+Cruzer+memory+stick+and+Web+serif

About the only problems may be related to executable files - they might not be executable from a flash drive - but this would be any flash drive.

As for what USB port you have on the front of the PC that's like one of thsoe mysteries. Mine has 2 usb ports there, one is 1.0 the other is 2.0 - can never remember which is which though - I find out when I plug somehting there and it tells me if I were to use a usb 2.0 port it woudl be faster -then I switch.

I don't normally work directly with data from usb sticks or even cd's. I copu to the hd and then use it - it's a lot faster to access. Also if the file is meant to be writable, its being on a removable drive may make it read -only in the eyes of some application.

Maybe the usb drive has encryptions too - did you check that? if the file is encrypted you need a program which is capable of decrypting it too, maybe Serif isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.