Question on returning visits

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there, I looked thru the threads and did some googles but i am still very confused about the calculation/tracking of returning visits. I hope someone would clarify for me, please:(

The outsourced IT guy of my company told me that the calculation of returning visits is based on yesterday's visits ie the last 24 hours, and refresh every 24 hours. So am i correct to say that:

scenerio 1:
on Monday 9am, i visit a site thus counted as a NEW unique visit. Then I visit the site on Tuesday 8am, thus counted as RETURNING(?). Subsequently, I visit the site again on Wednesday 7am and consider RETURNING again? Based on Tuesday's cookies? (or Monday?)

scenario 2:
on Monday 9am, i visit a site thus counted as a NEW unique visit. Then I visit the site on Wednesday 9am. So is it counted as NEW unique visit?

Please help.

Thank you very much in advance:roll::roll:

Arne

If a visitor is a returning or new on the Summary page has nothing to do with the time elapsed between visits.
Visitors who allow (don't block) cookies to be set on their browser, can be tracked as returning as long as they have the statcounter cookie in their browser.

Visitors who don't allow (block) cookies can never be tracked as returning visitors, so they are "new" every time.

that means if i visit a site on 1st of September 2012, I will be treated as returning visitor if i visit the site again at the end of the month, if i am still keeping the cookie?

Another thing, assume that the max length of visit is set to be 2 hours, then if i visit a site after every two hours in one day, that will be counted as 12 returning visit for that day?

thank you

hi I actually looked thru it before i started this thread, however it is clearer after reading them once more. thanks anyway.
I will just make it simple, i think the IT guy confused me or he doesn't know about it either. Clear and understood now, thank you!

Assuming that your statcounter account is set at 24 hours and the visitor accepts and keeps cookies......
scenerio 1:
on Monday 9am, i visit a site thus counted as a NEW unique visit. Then I visit the site on Tuesday 8am, thus counted as RETURNING(?). Subsequently, I visit the site again on Wednesday 7am and consider RETURNING again? Based on Tuesday's cookies? (or Monday?)
Scenario 1: This would be counted as returning only on both days (tuesday and wednesday) - as the page loads are all within a 24 hour window. This is based on the original cookie set on monday, then updated by statcounter on tuesday.

scenario 2:
on Monday 9am, i visit a site thus counted as a NEW unique visit. Then I visit the site on Wednesday 9am. So is it counted as NEW unique visit?
Scenario 2: This would be counted as returning and unique. The original cookie set on monday lets Statcounter know that the visitor is returning, but it is a unique visit since the page loads are outside of the 24 hour window.

Ah sorry sorry, i am confused again.
According to the definition written under the summary page:

Unique Visitor - Based purely on a cookie, this is the total of the returning visits and first time visits - all your visitors.

So... unique visitors = total visitors = returning + first time.... am i correct?

Thus, in the second scenario, returning +1 and unique +1 ?? thus total +2 ????

Please kindly advise :-( thank you

Unique Visitor - Based purely on a cookie, this is the total of the returning visits and first time visits - all your visitors.
Basically that is correct, they are going to be considered unique/new or unique/returning, but a lot depends on visitors accepting/keeping cookies for accuracy 'most users allow/keep cookies' so it is overall accurate. If all users/browsers had no option but to keep cookies, then the summary stats would always be correct. The visitor has to accept and keep cookies to help SC determine the uniqueness, (if they don't accept cookies, then in the summary-every pageload will be considered as 'unique/new-different visitor' regardless of time).

If all visitors did keep cookies forever, then it depends upon the time setting within your project to determine uniqueness, if the visitor keeps cookies then additional pageloads within the time setting-is considered the same visit and will only increment the summary's-pagload count, but if any additional pageload is outside of the time setting, then the visitor is unique/returning-thereby incrementing the pageload+unique+returning counters.

Your setting is at 24 hours, so the very first visit to your site would be unique/new and would increment the summary's pageload+unique count and a cookie is set. Any other pageloads within 24 hours from the last pageload I made would only increment the summary pageload count. If more than 24 hours pass between pageloads and they still have the cookie, it would increment the pageload+unique+returning count in the summary. After the initial visit and the SC cookie is placed, SC will always know I'm a returning visit, but SC depends on the time setting to increment the unique/returning counters.

So... unique visitors = total visitors = returning + first time.... am i correct?
Yes...

Thus, in the second scenario, returning +1 and unique +1 ?? thus total +2 ????
Not the 'total +2', only one visitor-the same person who will increment the pageload +1, returning +1 and unique +1.

ok... I understand now. Previously I treated unique, new and returning separately, thus was confused given the definition.
Thank you for your clarification, hope I can get familiar with the system soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.