Redirect - #1 Result ???

Discussion in 'StatCounter Redesign 2011' started by maruli, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maruli

maruli New Member

I start to see google search results with this redirect remark as the refering link:
    Redirect - #1 Result
    But on google all I find is information about a redirect virus. It makes no sense, as no virus ever would have a reason to redirect anything to my blog.
    Does this redirect have a simple explanation? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

2. Arne

Arne New Member

This link may give an other explanation.

3. maruli

maruli New Member

Arne, thanks, but I could not find any answer on the linked page.

Here are two examples:

www.google.com — fundamental transgression (Redirect - #1 Result)
    www.google.com — bandler sociopath (Redirect - #4 Result)

This redirect seems to be something new. I am using statcounter since about half a year, but I have never seen that redirect before Feb. 9.

4. tosommerfugle

tosommerfugle New Member

Sometimes Google uses a redirector for the search results links, most probably to learn about what links are actually clicked. This means that the referer URL recorded by Statcounter is not for the Google search results page, but simply this redirector URL. This is explained in the link provided by Arne.

If Statcounter users click this link, the result is that the browser redirects to the users own site, instead of showing the Google search results page. This may surprise users, and makes it harder to explore how the searcher used Google.

A recent enhancement parsed these referer URLs to show the keywords (instead of the long URL), and was amended to parse the cd= parameter, which reveals what position on the SERP the user clicked.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  5. Arne

Arne New Member

Check the url's and you see what is new.
    Instead of showing the referring Google search page, the url makes a redirect to the page in the search result.

Quote from that linked page:
    Yes, it is new, a Google "invention" that a lot of people are not happy with. But Google don't care.

At the time the Google announcements was written, they said:
    After that, the new url's has increased so we see them more often now than a year (or 6 months) ago. And you will see even more before the end of this year.

I don't know if Statcounter can do anything about it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  6. maruli

maruli New Member

Thank you both for explaining. Now I do understand. Except for writing a blog and being curious, how people find it, I am only a user of google.

7. CSoft

CSoft New Member

mmmm, I perceive a bit of insatisfaction here. This might not be tolerated in the future when they rule the world and so.
    Watch your feelings Floyd, stay Pink ! :mrgreen:

Facebook is doing the same with links. There´s another thread about it. So this seems to be "NEXT"....who knows

By the way, and since this is the new Beta Forum, yesterday I used the Feedback tab asking for something, and today i received an e-mail from a statcounter team member saying it was solved, and it actually is :-D.

So nice to have this "personal details" in this days

8. tosommerfugle

tosommerfugle New Member

Actually, Google is not hiding anything by this redirector. The keywords, search parameters and even SERP position are included. The change was even announced, to allow competing analytics packages to keep up to date. They are, in fact, not being evil :)

Facebook is quite different, in not including any useful source info whatsoever. when wrapping outgoing links. A "dislike" button would be quite relevant here.

9. maruli

maruli New Member

The same here. I got informed by email, that they had fixed something, that I had given feedback about.

10. Buxykay

Buxykay New Member

Another Form Of Redirect

Hi, I have some other form of redirect. After login into my account I checked the visitor path and clicked on the google keyword but instead of going to Google search results I was met with this

Redirect Notice
    The previous page is sending you to http://www.mywebsite.

If you do not want to visit that page, you can return to the previous page.

When I clicked the mywebsite link, it took me directly to my website. Is this OK? or there is something wrong? Please I would like to know if anybody has experienced it.

Thanks.

11. Arne

Arne New Member

I havn't seen anything like that my self, but the redirect is the same as before.
    The difference is that you see that message that makes you click again to get to the url.

Is that message given by Google, or perhaps by your browser?
    It is possible that Google has added that recently, to protect users from being redirected to undesirable sites. it's like a fight against e.g. "link theft", referrer spam.

It has perhaps something to do this: https://www.securityweek.com/google-slaps-web-spammers-new-algorithm

12. Buxykay

Buxykay New Member

Thanks Arne, I would not know the reason because this does not occur to other keywords. When I clicked on other keywords for the same site, they take me directly to Google search and there I can see the position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.