referer spam

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Mesmer7, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Mesmer7

Mesmer7 Member

2. Mesmer7

Mesmer7 Member

3. webado

webado Moderator

There's nothing you can really do except maybe change your project security and apply this modification to the code you have inserted into your site. It will prevent sites that have scraped you Statcounter code previously from using it again, until they scrape it again.

4. Mesmer7

Mesmer7 Member

That did not work. I followed your suggestion. I created a new project ID and a new security code. And just two days later, the spammer is again listed in my referers.

5. webado

webado Moderator

Well ignore it what can I say. They got your SC account from your site. They dont' have to access your site to log to your SC account.

6. bobby131313

bobby131313 Moderator

A referral from a web site that clearly does not link to me, https://www.feldcointernational.com/

You don't see a link when YOU look at it. Unscrupulous website owners will code the page so that when they load it there will be a bunch of links at the bottom. They click them all every few days and hope that your stats are public so that they get some backlinks.

7. webado

webado Moderator

More likely it's a robot that "clicks" .
    Or as has been seen not even that, just merely a script that simply logs fake hits with their own referrer to any Statcounter project code they have harvested.