RESOLVED?? - MSN Live launch screwing statcounter stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

In the "Recent Came From" I don't expect to see search engines. However, mine has many entries coming from "beta.search.live.com". Should search.live.com be recognised as a search engine and as such not appear there?

If that is the case, then there are many other less popular ones that appear (e.g. "search.optonline.net") and if you are interested I can report them as they appear to an alias you provide.

Cheers
Daniel

Search engines are first and foremost referrers, so they will appear in Came From.

Those referrers that Statcounter recognizes as search engines will also be reported as such in the various search engine related stats (search engine wars, keyword activity, etc).

In order for Statcounter to recognize a search engine it has to be programmed into the software, as nothing readily says that a particular referrer is a search engine. Besides they all have a different query string structure that needs to be interpreted separately in order to extract the pertinent information (i.e. keywords).

The programming team needs full examples of each such search engine from the Came From stats in order to adjust the programming accordingly.

Now search.live.com may already be recognized, but beta.search.live.com may not.

Thanks for your reply Christina :)

I understand that search engines are referrers and should appear in the "Came From". That is why I explicitly stated that this one appears in "Recent Came From", where search engines do not usually appear.

I also understand that statcounter has to be told which URLs represent search engines, which is why I offered to let them know of other search engines if they are interested.

Now, I would argue that beta of "live" is not one of the obscure ones and hence consider it a bug that it is not recognised (same as I would if "google" was not filtered out).

I suspect the statcounter team has access to my stats so they can look it up for examples (or ping me direct). Here is one such example:
http://beta.search.live.com/results.aspx?q=activesync vista

Cheers
DanielMoth

Yeah, sorry didn't pick up on the "recent came from" bit - it's something I personally don't bother with so it's not second nature to know off the top of my hat that it filters out search engines :oops: So many different stats that are just subsets of others ...

IMO, beta of anything isn't ripe enought for anybody to make programming changes for, is it? ;)

But I'll move this thread to Feature request and leave it there for the SC team to pick up and follow up on.

MSN Update? Anyone confirm?

The rankings of many of my keywords were buried after the last MSN algo update several months ago. They have since returned as of last night.

In fact I see alot of movement in my niches.

Does anyone here monitor that sort of stuff ... or noticed changes on MSN too?

Just curious.

Thanks.

andheresjohnny said:
The rankings of many of my keywords were buried after the last MSN algo update several months ago. They have since returned as of last night.

Just curious.

Thanks.
MSN.com is my favorite. No sandboxes, no hidden catches. Didn't notice any important changes...

MSN Live launch screwing statcounter stats?

I couldn't figure out what was going on today. My statcounter stats were showing no MSN visitors today. NOT A SINGLE ONE! After verifying that my keywords were still ranking the same, I was stumped.

Then on another forum I found others who were experiencing the same issue. Turns out that we were all experiencing a lot more "no referring link" entries.

I know that MSN just launched their new LIVE search (last night?). Is it possible that they are no longer sending what statcounter needs to determine that it is MSN, and any associated search parameters? And that the increase in "no referring link" entries are actually MSN visitors?

Thnak you.

Hi my MSN traffic is showing zip, but my traffic is only slightly down
yesterday all my traffic is from msn

my web logs still show traffic from msn and checking my keywords
they all still rank the same with msn

http://search.msn.com
is now powered my live, it finally out of beta

anyone else notice this?
it could be just me

No Referring Link

It looks like almost all of my MSN traffic shows up with "no referring link". I've already tested this myself by unblocking my IP and deleting the blocking cookie, than going to the MSN serps and clicking my site link.

This began yesterday or today, right after they changed the design of their search engine.

Can anyone help? or has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
andheresjohnny said:

I monitor it, somewhat. Yes, DEFINITE change in the algo. I personally like it alot, and I'm starting to use MSN again.

Atleast after I finish my 12 step at Googleholics Anonymous.

Is the linking done in javascript or is there some option similar to "feeling lucky" from Google? neither of those searches will results in any referrers being detected or logged.

Indeed thats' what's happening.

MSN Live Search is channeling the search results through a gateway - and no referrer information is available.

You won't be getting any more referrer - thus also no keywords - from MSN Live Search now. It's all being handled through a gateway of sorts which removes referrer information.

Last edited:
chrisooc said:
Hmm, the links is being connected to through a gateway which means no referrer remains available.

That's a nasty turn of events.
I'd be surprised if this doesn't get corrected by MSN. I can't imagine a major search engine not passing this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.