Settled on a design, kind of, sort of, maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to keep it plain and simple. I think I've accomplished that, but have I gone too far?

The only links that work are the top menu links. The pages all have the same content. The page titles, top menu button, and submenus vary from page to page.

I was going to password protect this site until I completed at least all of the section level pages and a few deeper pages. Then again, maybe it would be helpful if people could watch my progress. What do you think - block access to the pages until the site is ready or go from here with a live site?

I like the look of it, nothing to distract from the purpose of the site. Clean and simple, and very easy to read and navigate.
Keep it live.

All ya need now is a bunch of radical, lunatic fringe, anti establishment conspiracy theorists as regular contributors to give it some life :-D

JWJ

Keep it plain and simple and no, you haven't gone too far. It will clutter up in the course of time, they always do. This is a great start.

Keep it live, but be prepared for people to tell you about things that aren't working right because they're not fully finished. Like the really annoying way the centre div opens up a bit right of centre and then, just as your eyes are focusing on it, the google ads pop up and shift it.

Looking good. ;)

That annoying shift is due to some javascript I used to modify the css. The container div is set to 760px and only the left ads show when the page first loads. The script checks window width and increases the width to 900px and shows the right-hand column of ads if you have a window size greater than 900px.

Keep it live, but be prepared for people to tell you about things that aren't working right because they're not fully finished.
Yes, I'm afraid of that, but maybe it will generate some forum activity. Six months from now hardly anyone will remember how it all started.

I can't believe you are putting google ads on there! Not once but both sides of the content! tsk tsk, a bit ironic don't you think?

Sharron said:
I can't believe you are putting google ads on there! Not once but both sides of the content! tsk tsk, a bit ironic don't you think?
Nah, I think of it as sticking them where it hurts. It is a little ironic, however, to have google pay for my anti-google rants. :) Those ads won't be up there for very long - for a couple of reasons. One is that as soon as my account balance hits $100 I'm going to take the check and run. From that time on I'll be using different advertising methods. The site will be supported through advertising so I wanted to do the initial design with that in mind.

It really is starting to come together, now. I've settled on a navigation scheme and added pages for each section. The next step is to add RSS feeds to those pages instead of the ads on the left. Those are simply placeholders for the time being. I'm thinking of using the right hand column to display books from amazon and o'reilly publishing using their affiliate programs. These will be handpicked books that match the content of the pages. More work, but much more effective - I hope. :)

I'm going to add the css demos on jonra.com to this site over the next few hours. That will give me some quick content. Once those are up it will be a matter of creating new pages on a regular basis. I'm going to shoot for a minimum of 1 new page per day. That will take the site over 100 pages in 3 months. I might add even more if I can find the time. I'd like to see the site at 500-600 pages within 6 months.

One way of adding content is to find it somewhere else. If anyone has an article or something similar that they think would fit this site I'll post the article with credits and a link to your site.

I also need to create a contact form, about us page, and privacy page before the day is over. Guess I better get busy.

Not bad for something that was no more than an idea 7 days ago. :)

I fixed that annoying jump when the page loads. That was caused because the page expanded if your browser window is over 900px wide. That was kind of backwards. Most people have a resolution over 800x600 so I changed it to resize if the window is less than 900px. That means the page doesn't change if your window is over 900px and there is no shift in position at any resolution.

I like it. I have to get around to testing my site with different screens and browsers eventually also. Probably do that in my nonexistent spare time.

jonra01 said:
I fixed that annoying jump when the page loads. That was caused because the page expanded if your browser window is over 900px wide. That was kind of backwards. Most people have a resolution over 800x600 so I changed it to resize if the window is less than 900px. That means the page doesn't change if your window is over 900px and there is no shift in position at any resolution.
Great! It looks good. I think I'll steal the idea, if I may ;)

Great! It looks good. I think I'll steal the idea, if I may
Feel free. I came up with that for someone here on the forum. I haven't really used it myself, although I did start to add it to my css pages. I'm going to write up a simple explanation and demo on how to use the hidden div and add it as a page on the new site.

I think that was for one of Sharron's projects.

Maybe I'll wait until you write up the demo ;)

Some time ago I wanted to do something like that to fill up the right hand side on a wide screen, and if not, use the same content at the bottom of the page, horizontally. I started I think, and gave up. Couldn't make up my mind how to proceed, too many choices, too much to think ;)

Last edited:
If you go to the site and click down to the css pages you will see how I intend to handle deeper content navigation.

development->css->css syntax

That's the only individual article page I've finished. I'm going to do the css tools page and then get cleaned up and go play some pool and drink a few beers. Or drink a few beers and play some pool. :)

line 9 column 1 - Warning: <link> element not empty or not closed
line 27 column 1 - Warning: <br> element not empty or not closed
line 100 column 2 - Warning: <hr> element not empty or not closed
on the index page.

I see you left out the onresize portion, I could tell as when I initially open the page via IE at 800x600 the right side didn't show, but then when I enlarged to the above 900 I had to hit the refresh button to get the right side to load.

But we have all disussed that before! lol, the onresize does not validate without it the page will. That is if you close the above mentioned tags! yes the validation police that is me!

Status
Not open for further replies.