Sitemeter vs. Statcounter

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by richards1052, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richards1052

richards1052 New Member

A fellow Typepad blogger highly recommended statcounter in a discussion within the UserGroup. After visiting the statcounter site I'm pretty intrigued.

But can someone give me a bit more detail about what I will & won't be getting if I switch? Are there any sitemeter features I might be losing & are there new features I'd gain by switching?

2. richards1052

richards1052 New Member

Yes, I've already looked it over & it appears impressive. However, when one isn't familiar with a product it's always hard to see how precisely it's different &/or better than what you're now using.

Statcounter has a forum like this one which is a big plus (sitemeter doesn't have one). It also allows displaying of site stats for a customized interval of time which sitemeter doesn't provide. Are there any other features it has which sitemeter doesn't?

Sitemeter provides e mail notification of stats breakout on a regular interval. Does statcounter have this option?

3. spectacularstuff

spectacularstuff New Member

I don't mean to sound mean with this statement but what can you possibly not understand about this program.... everything here is self explanatory...

Now, if you were complaining about navigation I can understand this... to have an icon that is the size of a toenail clipping and expect people to know to click on that without any text... yes, I agree, that should be fixed but that is NOT what you are complaining about....

What feature can you possibly not understand on this..... You are in the right place because here is where to ask how to work something... ask and ye shall receive... We here in the forums will be quite glad to answer any questions that you have.....
    Christina is great at helping people out as is the webmaster and few more people in here.

Hope it helps

4. webado

webado Moderator

Stactcounter doesn't track the duration of a pageview - yet. Personally I don't see how that could be done either, but others say it can be done, so who am I to argue? :) But I'll just say that I usually have at least 5 windows open and jump around a lot so I fail to see how it can be determined when I'm actively looking at one page or another, when I myself don't know it. Stranger things have been done though....

You do get the pageviews per visitor though. That's under Path. There are no numbers there, just a list of all the url's (or page titles) a particular visitor has visited, plus the number of return visits. All this is based on the log entries (max 100 for the free version).

Hope this helps.

5. richards1052

richards1052 New Member

How does it help when an experienced statcounter user insults a newbie (as jrotem said above)?? I didn't say I didn't know how to use the program & I certainly NEVER complained about it. You should read posts more carefully before categorizing them so flippantly.

I've never used statcounter before. I quite like sitemeter but am willing to consider trying a new product. I'd hoped to get some detail from other statcounter users about what specifically they like about it. I was also hoping that some former sitemeter users who've moved over the statcounter could shine some light on this subject.

No one in this thread has really answered the original question & now you've both insulted me & accused me of complaining about statcounter. What a swell welcome to the statcounter community!

6. webado

webado Moderator

Richard, please don't pay too much attention to little bits of bickering you encounter here. This is a bit of a spillover from another issue which has since been resolved.

I hope you feel welcome to this forum. It is a great community, despite apparent blooper arguments that flare up now and then :) If anything, they make for a spot of entertainment, and it's really friendly needling that's going on. Well, at least I hope it's friendly.

I have personally not used Sitemeter but have used other free counters and Statcounter is amazingly complete in what it reports, plus it is continually evolving, with more features added almost weekly, if not daily. The basic free service is hard to beat. Actually, I don't think anything beats it at present.

It's possible the online documentation may be a bit lacking lately, especially with the new features added, which we, who've been around a bit longer, have been able to absorb more easily on the fly. In truth, I haven't had to consult it in a long time, so maybe it is in fact fully up-to-date.

Please feel free to ask and talk about any issues concerning Statcounter, it's usage within your web pages, bugs or suggestions for improvement. Somebody is bound to provide the answer that helps.

7. richards1052

richards1052 New Member

No, I'm not really too offended & certainly don't hold it against statcounter. Actually, I've installed statcounter on my blog & plan to compare it to sitemeter which I'm also using.

One thing I've noticed that sitemeter does that statcounter doesn't (at least yet) is a daily stat summary e mail update. Acc. to statcounter's site, you can only set a notification to go out weekly (which doesn't help me very much). YOu might want to consider adding that option sometime.

Also, in reply to your comment about documentation...it is still rather sparse. If you go to http://www.statcounter.com/help/getting_started/ , the last 3 items on the page are truncated as if someone started to write text for the FAQs but never finished. It sure looks a bit odd to me.

8. webado

webado Moderator

I think I've seen a post somewhere from a staff member saying that the documentation is being organized and re-written. It's just not finished yet, that's all.

But yes, those last 3 topics are definitely unfinished, truncated. It gets me thinking that maybe there's a space limitation somwhere which may be playing tricks.

Stephen, are you reading this? :)

9. spectacularstuff

well, I am glad you got your answers solved... as I said....Christine is awesome at helping out. I really was not meaning any offense by the statement... more of shock then anything.... really did not know how to ask... long night..... everyone here is very helpful and willing to help....
    Glad you got the answers you were looking for.

10. richards1052

richards1052 New Member

Sorry, but I didn't get the answers I wanted since no one here can give me a detailed comparison bet. statcounter & sitemeter which is what I really wanted. BUt you sometimes have to accept in life that you're not going to get everything you want.

11. webado

webado Moderator

It seems to me the spectrum has pretty much been covered with what you have in Sitemeter and you don't have in Statcounter and vice-versa.

Your original question was too broad, I think, which is why you got your answers pretty much piecemeal.

If you are expecting a table form of answer with all possible features listed side by side, one column each for Statcounter and Sitemeter, I'm afraid I haven't seen one yet. I know that Statcounter is constantly evolving with features added all the time. They get announced here in the forum and also through special announcements on the Statcounter site, as they appear.

Especially since you're using both services yourself, you should be able to draw your own conclusions in time.

I'd suggest you explore all the different types of stats that Statcounter offers and try to understand them, especially their utility to you, the webmaster. For the most part their meaning is self explanatory. I'm sure the same may hold true about Sitemeter.

There seems to be consensus among users that Statcounter is superior to Sitemeter. Statcounter is also quite open to suggestions for improvement in general. I have no intimate knowledge of Sitemeter to make any statements either way about their service.

When in doubt about a particular feature, ask. Then somebody will try their best to explain it. Also you can usually search the forum and find answers, since most problems have already been addressed at some point.

12. simonwarner

simonwarner New Member

I have used Sitemeter as well. I think the info of StatCounter is more in-depth. On other issues it is just how important some features are to you. Here is a dutch site which compares web trackers ...
    http://tellertest.com/tellers.php?nl=&sort=score&dec=
    Maybe there is something in english like that as well?

13. simonwarner

simonwarner New Member

14. spectacularstuff

No Way! Hey Stephen, you have go to go check out the visitorville on that page.... HA HA HA HA.... If that works as neat as it sounds that would be a hell of a concept...... whew can you imagine the programming involved in that as well as the graphic design.....

www.graphicstatcounter.com here we come.

LOL

15. richards1052

richards1052 New Member

Thanks, this site is precisely the info I was looking for in terms of comparing various sites side by side. Great find, Simon & thanks again. I'm going to mention this site to my TP blogger usergroup forum.

16. richards1052

richards1052 New Member

I just spent some time going over my statcounter stats & I find I really like the report formatting and statcounter does indeed give me a far richer portrait of who's visiting me. I think sitemeter is going out the window! BTW, I noticed that sitemeter is undercounting my site visitors by about approx. 10% or so. Nice to know I have a few more visitors than I thought thanks to statcounter.

17. m4rk

m4rk New Member

Richard,

I moved from Sitemeter to Statcounter a while ago and overall I think it is better. I and others asked for the time visitors spent on a page to added as that was what I missed the most. Visit Duration.

I was mighty impressed when the guys at statcounter said they would do it because we asked. Great service. Even if they don't add it I wouldn't be going back to Sitemeter.

m4rk

18. richards1052

richards1052 New Member

One thing you must keep in mind with duration stats is that they're extremely fuzzy. Duration is measured only when a visitor clicks fr. pg. to pg. in yr. site. If they enter yr. site & only visit one pg. then (I once researched this subject a yr. ago & am quoting what I remember of that--but some of what I'm saying may be misrememberd) the counter can't meausre that. Also, if someone opens a pg. & leaves yr. site & that pg. open indefinitely (as I often do in maintaining multiple open browser screens) then the duration stat cannot accurately measure that. So I take duration stats very lightly though I guess they provide some measure of something valuable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.