some downloads are not recorded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I can't figure out why DXF file downloads from my Wordpress self hosted blog do not show up in the stats.
The visit to the above site shows correctly but not when a visitor clicks on the links to download.

Everything else appears to get tracked just fine on all the blog pages and image downloads are showing up as well just not the DXF file downloads.

I read through other posts this morning and believe the statcounter is installed correctly via the plugin for wordpress on all my pages in the footer which is after the actual download link.

Statcounter user name: juhurus
project code: sc_project=5856820

Last edited by a moderator:

Arne

To add files to track, ad the following line to your counter code's Javascript part.

var sc_download_type="7z|aac|avi|csv|doc|exe|flv|gif|g z|jpe?g|js|mp(3|4|e?g)|mov|msi|pdf|phps|png|ppt|ra r|sit|tar|torrent|txt|wma|wmv|x ls|xml|zip";
You can edit the line to add most any file you wish to track, and remove the types you don't need or want.

You can only track html links to files, not javascript links

Thank you very much Arne

It looks like it's working now but I'm not sure if I have done it correctly by pasting the code directly into the "StatCounter-Wordpress-Plugin.php" file.

Another thing is I have noticed is that the are some file extensions with a space in between. "g z" or "x ls" and "r ar" Just wondering if that's meant to be like that.

Arne

Thank you very much Arne

It looks like it's working now but I'm not sure if I have done it correctly by pasting the code directly into the "StatCounter-Wordpress-Plugin.php" file.
Since you have a self hosted Wordpress, you can use the counter code also without using the the plugin. If the plugin (or downloads) should stop working, you can add the code "manually" direct to the footer template file.

Another thing is I have noticed is that the are some file extensions with a space in between. "g z" or "x ls" and "r ar" Just wondering if that's meant to be like that.
The spaces should not be there, perhaps just a visual thing? I don't know why they come when pasting the text here, as quoted text. The extensions are gz and xls, or whatever you see between the vertical (|) lines.

Last edited:
Some downloads not counted, but all are ZIP

I just read through this thread...

May main project is an 'HTML-only' counter on the RedBubble site (no JavaScript allowed there). It works just fine.

A few days ago I added a new project for a small site I have created for script RedBubble users can download from there.

At first, this seemed to track downloads - a few downloads at least do show up. ALL are ZIP files.
But this morning I found out that not all downloads are recorded: I have a user who just downloaded a new version of one of the scripts and is running it (right now), while the previous version had a bug which prevented him from using it. THIS download does not show up.

I have also seen a few comments from other RedBubble users that suggest they might be using one of the scripts - but those downloads don't show up either (I have labeled IP addresses for a large number of people visiting my pages on RedBubble so I can put two and two together).

Since (some) downloads of ZIP files are recorded, it doesn't seem necessary to add that extra line to the JavaScript (though it shouldn't do any harm either).

I am wondering whether the cause of some downloads not being recorded might be that maybe the script is looking only for clicks and not for right clicks?

(Many people - if not most - download by right-clicking and then choosing a 'Save as' option from the menu - me included.)

Arne

May main project is an 'HTML-only' counter on the RedBubble site (no JavaScript allowed there). It works just fine.

A few days ago I added a new project for a small site I have created for script RedBubble users can download from there.
So I assume you can and have used the full (default) counter code on the new project? I also assume that you can see other visitor info for the user who downloaded the new version, in your stats?

But apart from the need of a code including the Javascript part, the code also need to be below all the download links you like to be logged. Preferable the counter code should be added just above the closing </body> tag for many reasons, but it will also cover up for all download and exit links you may have and add in the future.

Check out the source code of your pages, and search for the counter code to it is okay and below the download link in question. Get back with an url to your page with download links if you need more help.

Since (some) downloads of ZIP files are recorded, it doesn't seem necessary to add that extra line to the JavaScript (though it shouldn't do any harm either).
That's right, you don't need to add the long line of file types if the file type you have on the site is already there, the script on Statcounter's server will log all those file types.

(Many people - if not most - download by right-clicking and then choosing a 'Save as' option from the menu - me included.)
Right clicking to download makes no difference, but if you have a Javascript link to a file, it will not be logged.

Hello Arne,

thanks for the reply.

Yes, the new project uses the full code as that site is completely under my control (I'm actually using JavaScript for other purposes, too).
And the code is all the way at the end of the page (even after the code that gets and positions Google ads) - placed with a PHP include, so it automatically gets on every page, too.

The downloads (one per page) are ordinary links.

Just in case you want to look, here are two examples:

RB Inventory by Marjolein Katsma
RB Inventory A (Art) by Marjolein Katsma

Very similar, one is a complete package, the other is a small package for one operation only. (It also demonstrates how similar the pages are because I'm using a template, and the SC code is always at the same place at the end of the page.)

Anyway, if right-clicking is treated just like a normal click, is there anything else that could cause downloads not to be recorded?

Arne

Well, it sure looks like it should work. At least I can't what could be wrong. Was those pages/links for the previous downloads you can't find in your stats?

I made a couple of downoads from each page in your post, one with the right click method and "save as", the other by just clicking and saving. Check if you can see those. If not, I can only advice to contact Statcounter support so they can take a look.

Hi Arne,

Well, it sure looks like it should work. At least I can't what could be wrong. Was those pages/links for the previous downloads you can't find in your stats?
No, I'm positive the one I know is missing from the stats the latest version: my user reported problem, I found the cause in my software, fixed, uploaded it, and told him to get the latest and try again. And he did try a gain (without a problem :)) so he must have downloaded it - no way he could have done the job running the old version again.

Of course, once I know one entry is missing, I know more could be missing... and of the previous version (when I started the stats) as well.

I made a couple of downoads from each page in your post, one with the right click method and "save as", the other by just clicking and saving. Check if you can see those. If not, I can only advice to contact Statcounter support so they can take a look.
I can see you alternating between both pages and doing double downloads except for the last page where there is only one. Thus in total I see 4 downloads of one file, and 3 of the other.

Is that what I should be seeing?

Another note: the first time I went to the 'Downloads' report I could see those, all with a drill down symbol - except I could not drill down and got a message to the effect there was no data for it.
Then I went to the 'Download activity' report, and from there I could drill down and seen what I just described.
Then I went back to the 'Downloads' again, and this time I could drill down (on the same items I could not before).

Strange (and a little bit annoying because the Downloads report is very useful!) - does that sound like a known problem to you, Arne?

Marjolein

Hi Webado,

When the actual hits corresponding to those downloads have rolled off the log you will get that message.
That sounds reasonable - but they had not rolled off (nothing has rolled off yet!), and when I went back I could drill down, on the very same items. It feels to me more like a temporary problem with the database.

Cheers,
Marjolein

I am talking about hits rolling off, not downloads.

Always the oldest hit rolls off when the newest one is recorded. Downloads and exit links are being kept in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.