1. awasp67

awasp67 New Member

Whilst I'm here, what's the view on every site being ssl and when do you think we need to be doing it?

Is this the end of shared hosting?

2. webado

webado Moderator

At present my view of this is very dim.

I am experiencing issues accessing on first attempt many sites via https.
    I don't intend to switch to ssl as I have no real need for it and I have no money to blow on adding dedicated IPs and ssl certs to umpteen sites I have (whether mine or those of my hostees). The free ssl options are not yet quite acceptable: difficult to implement and not sure if they won't cause issues.

So I'm letting the dust settle on this for now. Many other more important things to deal with such as mobility.

3. awasp67

awasp67 New Member

I agree except it may be a chance for us to get ajead of the build a site, charge and bugger off brigade.

I think google et al have made the decision and we will have to follow suit at some stage.

Has anyone had experience of implementing Let's Encrypt yet?

4. webado

webado Moderator

I have no experience with Let's Encrypt yet but just reading the doc hurts my head. I doubt I have access to what's needed for it as well. Seems you need shell access to the server, I don't have that.

5. awasp67

awasp67 New Member

I've got shell access on some accounts but always scare myself when I use it but I do think we'll need to either pay (and it won't get cheaper) or find a way to do it.

6. webado

webado Moderator

Waiting for Let's Encrypt to come up with a much easier and foolproof method and for hosters to understand it.

7. awasp67

awasp67 New Member

I think we may be waiting a long time for hosters to offer an open source version of something they currently charge for.

8. webado

webado Moderator

Not so much that they charge for it, just that the method of adding this stype of SSL is most confusing.
    Mine would charge for a dedicated IP for instance, but generally the SSL cert I can install myself ... if it's the regular kind. The Let's Encrypt one is most vague.

9. awasp67

awasp67 New Member

The cynic in me makes me think the easy option being the pay for the service, including dedicated IP, isn't a coincidence.

10. webado

webado Moderator

Well the dedicated IP and a standard SSL from a provider of SSLs has been the norm, though often people don't know if the need of a dedicated IP. So you may need to pay for the IP and also the SSL. Maybe even fro the installation of the SSL if unable to do it yourself.

The dedicated IP is a debatable subject, but generally it's needed unless the server has been set up in a particular way that ensures proper functioning of https on shared IPs. Seems to be skipped over a lot with ensuing problems of crossed caches, etc.

11. awasp67

awasp67 New Member