Statcounter and the new EU Cookie laws

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by sim64, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sim64

sim64 Member

I've been a statcounter user for about 8 years now, 5 or 6 of those with upgraded packages.

I've recently cancelled as I am concerned about the new EU Cookie laws.

I would like to carry on usinig Statcounter, so hopefully if everyone just ignores the law it will just blow over and I will renew again.

If this doesn't happen and the laws are enforced has Statcounter got any plans for an alternative?

2. DavyAndDavy

DavyAndDavy New Member

This will not happen. However it's quite possible, as some people are saying, that you won't get prosecuted so you can, if you wish, break the law and take the risk. (Personally I'm not inclined to do that.)

In which country are you based? Edit: sorry, your profile says UK

I have asked StatCounter, using the feature request, if they can add the ability to turn of cookies on a project by project basis. That way you could stop using cookies for the site and all you would loose, it seems, would be the return visitor information.

Better still, I've also asked if they could change to using 1st party cookies (probably a big job) so UK website owners could continue to use StatCounter if they followed the UK ICO December 2011 guidelines. (Google Analytics uses 1st party cookies.)

There has been no response.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.