Total site stats vs page total stats -- a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've set StatCounter up to be invisible on all my pages at present, but will eventually (when there's a respectable total :wink: !) make the home page counter visible.

From what I understand of how this works, I'm guessing that the home page total will reflect only those hits/visitors to the home page itself, NOT the total number of hits/visitors to the site as a whole.

Since a lot of people come to my site from direct referrals to specific pages, I'd like the home page total to display the total for the whole site if that's possible.

Is it possible? And if so, how do I do it?

WendyH

Arne

If you have the counter code on all pages, the total will reflect all hits/visitors to the site as a whole. If a visitor enter the site to some other page than the homepage, it's counted as one unique visitor in the same way as if (s)he enter the sites homepage first. Then the hits (pageloads) from that visitors comes as one hit for every page or a reload of a page that (s)he may do and visit within the site. You can choose from within your account settings for your counter, if you like to show hits/pageloads or just the number of unique visitors to the site.

Ah! So if I were to make the hit counter visible on every page of my site then every page would simply display the same, which would be the total number of hits/visitors to the site? Is that right?

So it's not like other hit counters where counters on each page display the number of hits for that one page?

WendyH

Arne

WendyH said:
Ah! So if I were to make the hit counter visible on every page of my site then every page would simply display the same, which would be the total number of hits/visitors to the site? Is that right?

So it's not like other hit counters where counters on each page display the number of hits for that one page?
That's correct. You will see the visible counter shows the same numbers on all pages, as total for the whole site.

OK. Thanks very much for that clarification Arne.

So if I were to go back now into my project settings and change the start numbers for the hits and visitors to my site to totals I have from my ISP's stats, would that overwrite the stats that StatCounter has accumulated since I started using it? Or would it simply readjust the overall total to reflect amended start numbers plus numbers recorded since?

WendyH

If you change the start numbers, those will be the new current numbers to which any new hits thereafter will be addedd.

But they will never agree with your hosting stats, as not the same things are ever counted nor under the same circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.