Unique visitors-Recent visitor activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalli

Hello,
I'm probably missing something simple, but i'm still trying to figure out how exactly statcounter counts all. This is not adding up: Today for example, i have 10 unique visitors in the summary, but when i go to recent visitor activity, i can see only one visitor for today. Yesterday i had 65 in summary, but only 20 in the details. Before I thought it might have something to do with the logs being full, but we upgraded recently so now it isn't. Is it some cookies issue on the visitor side or?

Car Guy

Super Moderator
Hi

Yes you are right, it's all about cookies.

If the visitor has no cookie they are deemed to be a Unique visitor.
That means one visitor so far.
If that visitor's browser is not accepting cookies then each page load by that visitor is deemed to be a Unique visitor, even if it's the same visitor.

So you can have one visitor to your site the entire day and if that visitor is not acepting cookies, then every page load counts as a Unique visitor to your site.

Dalli

Is the detailed info, like recent visitor activity/visitor path working based on ip adress? So all those 10 visitors will be grouped in 1 visit there caz is one and same person?

Car Guy

Super Moderator
Recent Visitor & Visitor path are grouped together, but that doesn't necessarily mean that every page load by a visitor is in that group. Many people do not have a static IP and some page loads will record a different IP. For instance, most AOL users get a different IP for every page load.

Short answer, yes they are grouped by IP

Dalli

Yes, i read that about AOL and dynamic ips on the site. Now its much more clear and it adds up perfectly if i look at the pageloads-unique visitors-detailed info for yesterday. Thank you!

Don't try to make them add up, you'll drive yourself bonkers, especially if your site is busy enough with more hits than what the log can hold for a day ;)

Just make sure you understand how each is measured, that's all.

What number exactly to look for?

Don't try to make them add up, you'll drive yourself bonkers, especially if your site is busy enough with more hits than what the log can hold for a day ;)

Just make sure you understand how each is measured, that's all.
A few question with regards to this thread:
1. What a log can hold for a day? Is there a parameter for a min or max number?
2. It looks like I basically need to rely on the Recent Unique Visitor Activity to get the real number of unique visitors to my site, right?

Thank you!

The log holds the latest X hits, regardless of timeframe. For the free account X is 500. It will be higher for paid up accounts.

So what timeframe the log covers depends on how busy the site is.

If you really, really want to know unique visitors BY IP rather than number of hits, the Recent visitor activity will show you that by IP address, from among the log contents.
It will not be time dependent.
it will nto take into consideration visitors with variable IP's.
If the log has rolled during the day you won't have whatever has dropped of the log already.

Last edited:
upgrading outcome

The log holds the latest X hits, regardless of timeframe. For the free account X is 500. It will be higher for paid up accounts.

So what timeframe the log covers depends on how busy the site is.

If you really, really want to know unique visitors BY IP rather than number of hits, the Recent visitor activity will show you that by IP address, from among the log contents.
It will not be time dependent.
it will nto take into consideration visitors with variable IP's.
If the log has rolled during the day you won't have whatever has dropped of the log already.
Thank you for confirming some of my original thoughts. I will really need to upgrade one of my accounts soon. Is there a more precise way to get my unique visitor activity tracked once I upgrade? I'm basically looking to have a report once or twice a week that would show the "real" number of my UVs, their location and history of their browsing sessions.
Appreciate your help and advise.

There is no definitve number of real unique visitors.

For those with variable IP's only cookies can identify them as one and the same and of that means they have to accept and retain thrid party cookies, which not all do. This is only for sumamry stats.

For detailed stats it based 100% on the contents of the log, and it's by IP, regardless of cookies or variability of IP (which cannot be known). If the log doesn't contain all the hits for one full day, you'd not be able to have the full picture of that either. Of course you can extrapolate, estimate based on how many unique IP's you have within that log over what period of time that covers. Recent Visitor Activity is the closest to what you may want, but there is no time factor involved in it.

Best I can say, download your logs periodically and do your own special reporting using Excel of Access or other similar program.

got it

There is no definitve number of real unique visitors.

For those with variable IP's only cookies can identify them as one and the same and of that means they have to accept and retain thrid party cookies, which not all do. This is only for sumamry stats.

For detailed stats it based 100% on the contents of the log, and it's by IP, regardless of cookies or variability of IP (which cannot be known). If the log doesn't contain all the hits for one full day, you'd not be able to have the full picture of that either. Of course you can extrapolate, estimate based on how many unique IP's you have within that log over what period of time that covers. Recent Visitor Activity is the closest to what you may want, but there is no time factor involved in it.

Best I can say, download your logs periodically and do your own special reporting using Excel of Access or other similar program.

Thank you, it's been a great service so far, it's hard to remember all the things it does and doesn't... will surely try to stick with your suggestions. Good day!

[...]
I always thought it was 100 (one hundred). Could I upgrade to 500 free? (Trying to do that, Statcounter comes up with a form for filling out my credit card data ...)
jk

Car Guy

Super Moderator
Yes, anyone with the 100 free account and up it to 500 for free :-D

When logged in, click the "Adjust Log", then edit the number to read 500, then "Adjust Log" to save.

Tip! If anyone has an upgraded "paid" account, you can add the free 500 to what ever size you have upgraded to.

Status
Not open for further replies.