What does seo stand for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very surprised recently when I found out that a very reputable and very successful seo company uses paid for links as a method of increasing pagerank - which according to google is strictly forbidden.

I know you lot always go on about ethical seo - and I go on about it as well thanks to you lot, but it seems these tactics really work and it's made me wonder whether ethical seo really exists, or If the definition of seo is tricking the search engines???

Sources: "http://www.ds32.com/archives/196"]http://www.ds32.com/archives/196"

Last edited by a moderator:
I like discussions :smile:

SEO, like any other industry, has nothing inherently immoral or / unethical implied anywhere about it. It's the people who work in the industry.

However, you bring into question the practice of paying for links. There are dozens of these companies. They provide a service. People pay. Google rewards accordingly. Most webmasters will swear PR means little anymore in the scheme of search engine result placement anyways.

Inaddition, Google is not the only game in town really, although they do service the biggest part of the WWW search traffic.

Bing and Yahoo have a different viewpoint as far as links are concerned.

Personally I would not do it.

Let's be honest, Google is the king of search, it held 86% of global search in April :
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/search-engine-market-share.aspx?qprid=5

which tallies up with shareworld - 84% of our search traffic comes from google.

I have a bit of experience with paid links and anchor text and I'm pretty sure it works - but we're trying to avoid it because we want to follow the guidelines.

The company I was talking about also advertise an interesting fact:
Type click here in google and click the lucky button - what site does it take you too? Why is that?

Anyway, my point is, if an seo company avoided any unethical practices would they be successful?

I'm just wondering if seo is just a big scam - if, as a business, you done everything right in terms of seo- building compliant websites, good content etc, you would simply be a VERY good website design company, the only difference with an seo company is that they try to manipulate search algorithms... Right or wrong?

manipulate algorithm? I call it changing Google's mind :mrgreen:

actually, I think a good SEO company can do both good design and execute SEO ninja style without breaking rules because I know personally what results from that. An seo does something that gets their client blacklisted by google is not the type of seo I want to work with.

i was just thinking... i think i heard of a service whereby you write articles related to a specific locale/ city in the US, and submit it, and if its accepted they give you back inbound links from their specialty-content users. In this case no money is exchanged for the link. You specify where your inbound links point and anchor text. Ninja?

another benefit to using this type of seo exchange is if the articles are done right, it builds authority for the domain in the category of topic it publishes inaddition to the added linkjuice.

Last edited:
The article thing sounds like a good idea.

It just amazes me how many seo companies there are out there and how much variation there is in price - we had a quote the other week for seo, it was about £8000 for the year! Then my brother had a quote for £50 per month and they guaranteed number 1 listing in google for his keywords to appear nationally - and they said they would NOT be the paid for listings - I told him that must be a scam!!

We'll see what happens with ds32.com - I'm determined not to do any link exchanges - I'm just linking out to sites I like. It'l be interesting to see if it gets any success (at the moment it gets about 5-10 visitors per day... Most of them probably because my dad puts it as a source for his answers on yahoo answers!! :)

do you have products you are trying to sell? I recommend Google Products.

you can go directly to the top of the search results submitting your products in XML format to G Products.

No I don't, but that's good to know - it's amazing how much you can get out of googles tools - local listings is another good one.

Anyway, ds32 isn't selling anything - it's just a personal blog and a sort of personal record of computer related info.

Also a bit of a test to see if a website will do well without any link exchanges.

And thought I should actually start using my forum membership!!!!

It doesn't say anything. Tonight I searched for "xyz wins court case". The results were as diverse as you could possibly get without finding the 'right' answer'.

On contrary to your statement, there are some good companies that carry the meaning of SEO in ethical ways. I don't understand how they could get so many one way links. Of course, content is the king. It might do wonders.

In my mind (which is often lacking) ETHICS and HONESTY is not a state of mind, it's a matter of right and wrong.

If you want to step on toes, smash fingers and risk your own life and limb to gain something, then be prepared to suffer getting stepped on.

Argue at will, but...........................

lol, boy I am in a mood this evening...

In my mind (which is often lacking) ETHICS and HONESTY is not a state of mind, it's a matter of right and wrong.

If you want to step on toes, smash fingers and risk your own life and limb to gain something, then be prepared to suffer getting stepped on.

Argue at will, but...........................

lol, boy I am in a mood this evening...
I agree Sharron, I was waiting for someone to say it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.