What is KNICK KNACK? remains a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still a great mystery to solve is what KNICK KNACK is. Heck, for that matter what is a PADDY WHACK?
Any ideas?

I just have to add that human intellect is such a mystery itself. Humans have developed technology to recreate miniature black holes, while we still can't figure out two ingredients in a nursery rhyme. :)

I'll make a deal you can't refuse: if together we here at SC Lounge can come up with a fair definition for KNICK KNACK we can post it as a group solution on wikipedia and reap some wikipedia love. or on urbandefinitions.

[SIZE=+2]This old man , he played one, ([SIZE=+4]1[/SIZE])
He played knick knack on his thumb, With a knick, knack, paddy whack,
Give the dog a bone; This old man came rolling home.

[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't ask me, but I would think that in the reference that knick knack paddy is a hand (musical) game like playing spoons., A game possible that uses finger snaps and hand and finger taps against anything, like gates,stumps and so on.

I don't know though, that is just a guess.
Its a good guess and if I could only imagine what it would look like I would create a diagram to show it.

The first verse says he plays on his thumb. Verse 2 says he plays it on his shoe. Verse 3 says he played knick knack on his knee. Verse 4, a door. Verse 5, :confused:

Possible explanation?

A Frog walks into a bank and approaches the teller. He can see from her nameplate that her name is Patricia Whack.

"Miss Whack, I'd like to get a $30,000 loan to take a holiday."

Patty looks at the frog in disbelief and asks his name. The frog says his name is Kermit Jagger, his dad is Mick Jagger, and that it's okay, he knows the bank manager.

Patty explains that he will need to secure the loan with some collateral.

The frog says, "Sure. I have this," and produces a tiny porcelain elephant, about an inch tall, bright pink and perfectly formed.

Very confused, Patty explains that she'll have to consult with the bank manager and disappears into a back office.

She finds the manager and says, "There's a frog called Kermit Jagger out there who claims to know you and wants to borrow $30,000, and he wants to use this as collateral."

She holds up the tiny pink elephant. "I mean, what in the world is this?"

The bank manager looks back at her and says...

"It's a knickknack, Patty Whack. Give the frog a loan. His old man's a Rolling Stone."

-Author unknown

A Frog walks into a bank and approaches the teller. He can see from her nameplate that her name is Patricia Whack.

"Miss Whack, I'd like to get a $30,000 loan to take a holiday."

Patty looks at the frog in disbelief and asks his name. The frog says his name is Kermit Jagger, his dad is Mick Jagger, and that it's okay, he knows the bank manager.

Patty explains that he will need to secure the loan with some collateral.

The frog says, "Sure. I have this," and produces a tiny porcelain elephant, about an inch tall, bright pink and perfectly formed.

Very confused, Patty explains that she'll have to consult with the bank manager and disappears into a back office.

She finds the manager and says, "There's a frog called Kermit Jagger out there who claims to know you and wants to borrow $30,000, and he wants to use this as collateral."

She holds up the tiny pink elephant. "I mean, what in the world is this?"

The bank manager looks back at her and says...

"It's a knickknack, Patty Whack. Give the frog a loan. His old man's a Rolling Stone."

-Author unknown
Thanks Frank for the poem. Where did you find this one? The author of the original rhyme is unknown too.

Tsk tsk all you city folk. Old time country folk made their own instruments and used anything laying around. The knick, knack, paddy whack is the rhythmical sound of using something to hit something else with like slapping your hands on your thighs or your thumbs on a length of bamboo or wash board and then having a set of words to go with the sound.

Also a Nick Nacks are small
collectibles people keep on their selves.

Tsk tsk all you city folk. Old time country folk made their own instruments and used anything laying around. The knick, knack, paddy whack is the rhythmical sound of using something to hit something else with like slapping your hands on your thighs or your thumbs on a length of bamboo or wash board and then having a set of words to go with the sound.

Also a Nick Nacks are small
collectibles people keep on their selves.
The second definition is a given.

So Knick Knack paddy whack is a sound derived from using any instrument, like a stick, or a rolled up newspaper, a pencil or pen, but including your own words. Its a song writing art form?

So I could essentially strike up a rhythemic beat using my hands on my knees, recite a poem syncopated with the beat and say I am a Knick Knack Paddy Whack artist? A new category - Whack rap. :)

Just found a closed forum with 81 responses discussing This Old Man and there are some very interesting comments: http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=9306

Last edited:
I know, at least I think I know, that many of you think this is a really stupid topic.

To me it just seems strange how knowledge has progressed this far but not so far as to have a concrete definition of knick knack paddy whack. This puts the topic about even with knowledge about the Free Masons.

Hi. I just registered because I have some information on the subject. Fist of all I'd like to say that I come from Slovenia and English is not my native laguage. Nevertheless I once read "the frog story" and when I saw the "Knick Knack" reference in this book I'm reading I googled it. Thus ending in this forum thread. Now for the big one:

The book I'm reading is "Jingo" by Terry Pratchett. And here is the reference:

... "'Knick-knack, paddywhack, giva a dog a bone' is a rhyme I hear Ankh-morpork childern sing, but a paddywhack is a ball of gristle suitable only for animal food and whi knows what part of the animal is its knick-knack..."
This line appears when a female warewolf walks in her wolf form into a building where a bodyguard of (for the sake of simplicity) let's say a Persian prince who has a bunch of "royal" dogs arund but recognizes her (her name is Angua). Now we must understand that Terry Pratchett is a master of word plays. This could mean nothing but it could mean a lot. Hope this helps.

Note that Terry writes paddy whack as a single word. My knowledge of the English language is not good enough to know if this means anythng.

Bye.

p.s.: I hope my English was understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.